Downlink: A Web-based Uplink Clone

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C

Downlink: A Web-based Uplink Clone

Post by EddieRingle »

A few years ago, a friend and myself had the idea to create a clone of the game Uplink, by Introversion Software. The catch was that it would be done completely on the Web, however. Back then though, the technology wasn't quite up to par (these were the pre-Chrome days), so we had to put the project on hold.

Now, we've decided to return to it. Using CSS3 and JavaScript (with some help from jQuery, of course), I've begun recreating Uplink's UI in the browser. So far, I've got a small proof of concept working with a dummy login/enlist box, plus a button that generates more windows. All the windows that include headers are draggable (using jQuery UI).

I thought I'd begin a sort of dev blog here to post updates every once and awhile. Hopefully we get something playable running this time instead of getting lazy. :)

The most recent demo of the proof of concept can be found here: http://orion.idlesoft.net/downlink/poc.html

And a milestone image, the first public proof of concept:

Also, you should probably be using Chrome if you want the best experience.
dr-snipe
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Java, PHP

Re: Downlink: A Web-based Uplink Clone

Post by dr-snipe »

Just downloaded the demo of it and got addicted. Thank you for sharing. :)

I would just recommend to make it compatible for more browsers just in case someone is too lazy to do so. But yeah it is a good idea and a fun game. Keep at it.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Heh, blackphantom and I (both of us having been inactive on here for a loooong time) used to play Uplink all the time. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this project. Good luck to you sir :D
EddieRingle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by EddieRingle »

Thanks for checking it out.

At the moment, I've made the decision to package it up as a Chrome app, which will allow me to make an awesome game without worrying about the cross-browser compatibility. Despite that, I have been testing it in Firefox alongside Chrome and aside from a few quirks that can fixed with some CSS tweaks, things are moving swimmingly. I'm at the point where I am basically building the game itself now. That is, I've got all the UI components and layout figured out and am in the process of piecing them together to make the game. Last time I worked on it, I was busy implementing the enlistment process you'd see at the beginning of creating a new Uplink profile. I think my happiest moment so far is when I emulated the hint text down in the lower left corner, complete with the typewriter effect.

My current roadmap is to emulate Uplink for the time being, and once the basic game functionality is in I'll give a nice 2012 spin to the look-and-feel (Uplink was originally designed over a decade ago, after all) and work on my own storyline.

Some newer screenshots:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3274458/downlink/21212-1.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3274458/downlink/21212-2.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3274458/downlink/21212-3.png
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

Looks neat I cant wait to play when it is done!
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by lalacomun »

Great work, awsome project to follow! ;)