3D Model Viewer [Android]

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Samusaaron3
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 3D Model Viewer (Android)
Programming Language of Choice: Java

3D Model Viewer [Android]

Post by Samusaaron3 »

I've been working on developing a .obj model importer and 3D model viewer for Android as a school project for the last couple months. Since the project is due in a few days, I've decided to release version 1.0.0 (even though there are still features I would like to add and the UI needs some brushing up).

Image Image

I decided to write the model viewer as a way for me to begin learning OpenGL. I'm hoping to start a game development project in the near future, and I figured this would be a good way to get started.

I currently have support for loading .obj models with up to 65,535 triangles (quads are a no go currently - I hope to resolve this in a future update), textures (either .jpg or .png), and lighting (one light source that the user can move, change colors, change brightness, and change directionality).

The app comes preloaded with some sample models/textures, and allows the user to import their own content (by connecting the device to a computer and copying over the files into specific folders).

The app is free, so if you have an Android device you should check it out: https://market.android.com/details?id=n ... odelviewer

I would love to get some feedback / suggestions; thanks for your time!
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Re: 3D Model Viewer [Android]

Post by superLED »

If I had an Android device, I would downloaded it right away! This is so cool.
It's a great way to start learning OpenGL ^^
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Re: 3D Model Viewer [Android]

Post by MadPumpkin »

Something tells me I know you.... Hiya Samusaaron3 :D (FullyLucid here). Glad you finally made it around and made a thread for your app.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock