2D RPG Development

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Nasus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

2D RPG Development

Post by Nasus »

I'm very new to the forums, which must seem pretty obvious since this is my first post, but please know that I have been
viewing threads/topics on this forums without a registered account.

CONCEPT
I'm currently developing a vast 2D RPG named after the world it takes place in, Cratex. The objective of the game is to simply
own all of the territories in Cratex. And to accomplish this, you need to be both powerful and wealthy, and the process
of earning these two properties for your character make up majority of the game play.
I'm not going to get into too much detail about the game's concept (I feel as if I already have XD), mostly because I feel that I'm not far enough in the development
process.

PICTURES/VIDEOS

Please read this before viewing the media: All of the sprites/tiles, other than the UI, are not drawn by me and were either
found in the deep depths of Google Images, or were ripped off of some 2D games. I'm currently drawing my own sprites for the game, of course,
but for testing purposes I'm using the sprites shown in these pictures and videos.

Picture of dialogue box (Very old. And no, there isn't any fishing in the game AT THE MOMENT.)

Picture of the current pause menu screen. The buttons are mouse oriented.

Picture of the new, simple UI (Drawn by me, for once XD). Still a work in progress.

Picture of the newly implemented magic system.
The spell in this picture is "Leech" or "Life Leech". Basically, while holding the attack button and in range and direction
of an enemy, you will leech your opponents health. What this means is that he will lose health, while you gain a small percentage of what he's losing while the spell is active.
This spell consumes a lot of your character's magic, and is not very effective at low levels. (As seen on the update video XD)

Video update for 11/10/11 to 11/20/11 (Please watch in 720p fullscreen, at the moment of the video where I demonstrate the Leech spell, the effects are very hard to see
unless you are viewing the video at 720p fullscreen.)

k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Re: 2D RPG Development

Post by k1net1k »

hey dude that looks really good( i realise you didnt do the artwork, but i mean that will come in time anyway)
Great to see new projects continue to find their way to ES forums.
why you stay stealthy so long...
Nasus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Nasus »

k1net1k wrote:hey dude that looks really good( i realise you didnt do the artwork, but i mean that will come in time anyway)
Great to see new projects continue to find their way to ES forums.
why you stay stealthy so long...
Thanks for the reply!
And yeah, I'm creating my own artwork as we speak. (please know that I'm not the best artist :lol:)
An idea that I got from someone on Youtube for the player's sprites is instead of using sprite sheets, I can create a separate sprite for the head, torso, arms, and legs. This way the player is able to equip an item in the game, such as an iron helmet, by simply replacing the head sprite with the iron helmet sprite, or drawing the iron helmet sprite over the head sprite. For animation I can simply rotate the sprite for the arms and legs.
I've already done this in previous projects, so the only part of this update that may take some time is simply drawing the sprites.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

This is pretty badass!, Great job, i must inquire are you using any type of scripting/dynamic language if so what may it be? :D, great work i'd like to see more!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Nasus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Nasus »

Light-Dark wrote:This is pretty badass!, Great job, i must inquire are you using any type of scripting/dynamic language if so what may it be? :D, great work i'd like to see more!
Thanks! And nope, just C++ and the Allegro 4 library.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Looking good, dude. Welcome to the Chaos Rift! We have some really, really talented people here, so feel free to ask questions or even contribute by helping others when you can. :cheers:
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Nasus
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Nasus »

Just wanted to give a quick update after a while and let the few people who may have seen or followed this thread for a bit that this project was not abandoned, and has been slowly making progress. A video of the many updates is soon to come :'P
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Post by Nokurn »

Nasus wrote:Just wanted to give a quick update after a while and let the few people who may have seen or followed this thread for a bit that this project was not abandoned, and has been slowly making progress. A video of the many updates is soon to come :'P
Looking forward to it! This looks really good.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

Nokurn wrote:
Nasus wrote:Just wanted to give a quick update after a while and let the few people who may have seen or followed this thread for a bit that this project was not abandoned, and has been slowly making progress. A video of the many updates is soon to come :'P
Looking forward to it! This looks really good.
+1
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step