qt with gamedevelopment

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Tom_leonardsson
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Map editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: nes,nds,snes,DOS,GBA,the Nd,android
Programming Language of Choice: c/++,javascript,Java

qt with gamedevelopment

Post by Tom_leonardsson »

Is it possible to make games with the qt libary and qt creato(question mark)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: qt with gamedevelopment

Post by Falco Girgis »

Tom_leonardsson wrote:Is it possible to make games with the qt libary and qt creato(question mark)
Uh... sure? You can make games with a command-line terminal or any other input/output mechanism.

You may want to take a few minutes to be a little more specific, so we'll bother taking a few minutes to formulate a more specific response...
Tom_leonardsson
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Map editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: nes,nds,snes,DOS,GBA,the Nd,android
Programming Language of Choice: c/++,javascript,Java

Post by Tom_leonardsson »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Tom_leonardsson wrote:Is it possible to make games with the qt libary and qt creato(question mark)
Uh... sure? You can make games with a command-line terminal or any other input/output mechanism.

You may want to take a few minutes to be a little more specific, so we'll bother taking a few minutes to formulate a more specific response...
can it show grapichs and use input?
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

Tom_leonardsson wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:

can it show grapichs and use input?
It can show graphics. Otherwise Qt wouldn't be Qt, I guess.
I'm not really sure how well it handles input from the keyboard, but I think you can make it work.

However, if you really want to make a proper game, I would suggest you find something else to play around with. Something that is made for game development.
I guess, making games with Qt is like eating soup with a fork.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

QT can handle keyboard input perfectly fine... It can even integrate with OpenGL for graphics...

Would I recommend you use it for a "game"? Probably not, but it sure as hell can do it. It can do some extreeeeeemely powerful shit for ANY kind of software development task.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

GyroVorbis wrote:QT can handle keyboard input perfectly fine... It can even integrate with OpenGL for graphics...

Would I recommend you use it for a "game"? Probably not, but it sure as hell can do it. It can do some extreeeeeemely powerful shit for ANY kind of software development task.
What he said. ^
Qt can be used to help with making tools for your game though. It's great for things like level editors for example using QGLWidgets and the other fancy stuff. :)

Don't go making the game in Qt however, unless you like adding functionality where it doesn't need to be. Keep your game engine simple and just code that with another IDE and then you can create various tools you might need for your engine in Qt. Just make sure that if you're going to do this, I would suggest refraining from retyping code for certain things, say for example loading map files. One minute you think you have everything you need in your map file structure, until SUDDENLY IT HAPPENS you need to add or remove something, whatever. Now your Toolkit is out of sync and will crash and fuck up when you try to load your new maps.

So for this you should create a class that can handle loading in your map and then use the class to load the map rather than rewriting your map code. If I remember correctly, Falco implemented the AssetIO class which I believe Marcell uses in the level editor as well to load in things like maps and other various things so that you can focus on one implementation of loading some file or whatever and then the AssetIO class can handle passing it back to whatever needs the functionality without worrying about interference.

Most of this stuff should be kind of obvious, but I figured I'd kind of just leave it here just in case. And of course if I'm wrong about what ES is doing for files between the engine and editor please feel free to correct me. :lol:

Anyways, hope that helps some.
There's no place like ~/
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

LeonBlade wrote:. If I remember correctly, Falco implemented the AssetIO class which I believe Marcell uses in the level editor as well to load in things like maps and other various things so that you can focus on one implementation of loading some file or whatever and then the AssetIO class can handle passing it back to whatever needs the functionality without worrying about interference.
This the general idea.

But the AssetIO "framework" is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than just a class. It's a gigantic chunk of the Elysian Shadows runtime including levels, areas, terrain, maps, the entire Entity/Component framework, and even a tiny portion of LibGyro. From a run-time standpoint, the Toolkit operates like Lua--using the AssetIO to dynamically connect components to Entities, manage assets, modify terrain, etc. Actually quite a bit of the interface for the Toolkit to access the engine is the exact same as for Lua to access the engine...
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

GyroVorbis wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:. If I remember correctly, Falco implemented the AssetIO class which I believe Marcell uses in the level editor as well to load in things like maps and other various things so that you can focus on one implementation of loading some file or whatever and then the AssetIO class can handle passing it back to whatever needs the functionality without worrying about interference.
This the general idea.

But the AssetIO "framework" is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than just a class. It's a gigantic chunk of the Elysian Shadows runtime including levels, areas, terrain, maps, the entire Entity/Component framework, and even a tiny portion of LibGyro. From a run-time standpoint, the Toolkit operates like Lua--using the AssetIO to dynamically connect components to Entities, manage assets, modify terrain, etc. Actually quite a bit of the interface for the Toolkit to access the engine is the exact same as for Lua to access the engine...
That's good design. :) And thanks for the correction and the juicy details. ;)
There's no place like ~/