My 3D rendering project

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: My 3D rendering project

Post by CC Ricers »

MadPumpkin wrote:Great work! This is seriously amazing, great lighting. What are you using for animation? Are the models strictly frame animated or are you using some sort of bones? I recommend you work with bones and skeletons, it's just a little bit harder to set up, but well worth it when you do. Makes procedural animation and physics sims such as rag doll much easier.
Yeah, I'm using bones, the XNA animation tutorial/sample really helped with that and the cool thing about it is how it already provides a few classes to set up the animations beforehand and you just have to update the matrices and animation clips during runtime. I'm only working with canned animations for the moment, and using the .fbx file format for it. But the custom models/animations I make aren't being read properly. Once I solve that I'll look into how to blend between animations, or just use some library to save time :P
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

CC Ricers wrote:Wow, I haven't touched OpenGL mostly since 1.4! I bought the red book on that years ago, now it's just a prop to raise the hight of my monitor :o I'm guessing that OpenGL 3 is more like DirectX 10 and 4 is like DX11.

Well, here's another update to show what I've got so far. I can toggle render profiles so deferred and light pre-pass is both possible in the engine. I'll probably take a side step from the rendering stuff and get to work on quad trees / octrees. But here's a video demonstration that shows two rendering modes (make sure 720p is on):

Beautiful graphics, very nice work!!! ;) I haven't got to mess around with OpenGL 3/4 much, aww :cry: But I have done some octree stuff, pretty straightforward once you know binary trees/recursion techniques.. :)
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

Well, it's been so long since I updated this thread but I've been putting off work for most of this year, and just started back on working on the 3D engine in July again. But most of all I want to announce that I've made it OPEN SOURCE!! It's called Meteor Engine and the code is hosted on CodePlex. Right now there is no official download yet, but you can browse the code for yourself and download a recent build.

The engine code is compilable into a dll. The requirements to use it are XNA Game Studio 4.0 and preferably a video card that supports HiDef profile (like a DirectX 10 compatible card). It is possible to make use of shaders that don't need the full HiDef profile, but many of the built-in shaders used by the engine use Shader Model 3.0 as well as multiple render targets. The dll can then be referenced by an XNA project, but the way to implement it, I still gotta work on documentation for that.

I make no guarantees that the code will be stable- it's still much a work in progress. Also, I've been recently considering trying out MonoGame and see if it's possible for me to port my engine with it for use in other platforms. The reason for using MonoGame is that its structure is made to feel at home to XNA developers and they recently introduced 3D support.
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

I'm still pursuing this project, it's still not dead. Lately I've been refactoring code for lights and shadow mapping, and finally added support for heightmaps to build terrains. A video of it in action here.

I quickly realized how big of a toll terrain rendering takes on the hardware. I'm gonna optimize it soon, and then get to work on a map editor. I already have a racing game in mind which will use this engine. For physics, though, I will use another library, either BulletXNA or BEPU. I'm not sure yet. I am moderately familiar with both, so I have to make my choice very early in making the game.

Now with XNA's fate clearly out of the bag, I have found my choice of how to port it to other platforms using OpenGL. Instead of getting down to the metal with low-level code, I'm gonna keep it straightforward and go with MonoGame. The framework already implements OpenGL under the hood for most platforms.