The adventures of creating a game

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Benjamin100
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: The adventures of creating a game

Post by Benjamin100 »

I'm pretty sure I read about a library that makes it easier to import/render the model in OpenGL.
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

Pretty much any model type has a library written for it. But if you are making the engine to LEARN how it works, then you shouldn't use the library.

For example, I'm trying to learn this stuff, and I literally wrote the .obj importer and figured out rendering last night. I have a screenshot of my (crappily) rendered model I made IN blender and exporter to my game here:

http://ibly31apps.tumblr.com

Unless you are creating an engine specifically make a game(which you really shouldn't), theres no reason to use a library for importing objects.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
BugInTheSYS
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Vintage Roads
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Delphi

Post by BugInTheSYS »

Good work ibly.
And yes, those libraries exist, even such that can import multiple types of model files, such as collada, obj, 3ds, stuff like that.
I'd find those libraries very helpful I have to say, although one could parse obj by oneself, but when it comes to formats like 3ds that are binary they'll be quite a bit harder to parse. Unless you want to spend lifetimes in creating algorithms for already existing, probably even proprietary formats, I say go use what's already there, if you can make the library work the way you want. Or invent your own format if you're the experimenter. :mrgreen:
Just as an example, there is assimp (http://assimp.sourceforge.net/) which would suit the requirements.
Someday, everything will go to /dev/null. - Bug's prophecy 13:37
janequorzar
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by janequorzar »

Deleted
Last edited by janequorzar on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

I used to work with GLUT in computer graphics class...
Right now I see no reason why not to use SDL with OpenGL, there is a C# wrapper for it and like the C++ version I believe it also supports OpenGL rendering on the backbuffer.

Learning shaders is invaluable for graphics programming nowadays, and you'd only find a few differences between GLSL and HLSL. If you know one well, the other is pretty easy to pick up. I mainly use HLSL and for me it's easy to port most of the GL shader code I use from Geeks3D (a really cool website for OpenGL stuff if you haven't visited it already).
janequorzar
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by janequorzar »

Deleted