The Old World: 2D Sandbox RPG

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

JarrodParkes
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Yes, iPhone Application(s)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: The Old World: 2D Sandbox RPG

Post by JarrodParkes »

Joxno wrote: On top of this, I have to constantly save Data to my DB which meant that SQLite would sometimes completely lag the game, and also meant I had no way nor time to change how I wanted it to save.
I'm not completely familiar with SQLite, but I use SQL databases for the iPhone app I have written. Anyways, in the app I use asynchronous queries that run in background threads separate from the thread that handles user input in order to allow users to continue using the app while the data is being saved/loaded. I am not sure if this is applicable in your situation, but it is a very trendy and functional solution that helped me.

Good stuff, really enjoy this thread! :worship:
Joxno
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: The Old World
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Joxno »

JarrodParkes wrote:
I'm not completely familiar with SQLite, but I use SQL databases for the iPhone app I have written. Anyways, in the app I use asynchronous queries that run in background threads separate from the thread that handles user input in order to allow users to continue using the app while the data is being saved/loaded. I am not sure if this is applicable in your situation, but it is a very trendy and functional solution that helped me.

Good stuff, really enjoy this thread! :worship:
Cheers!

Well I did some weird stupid stuff with my SQLite and couldn't get the asynchronous stuff to work correctly, But I also felt that I wanted to get away from a Query based system since most of my DB code was just constructing queries and it was getting tedious. I just feel like I have more control and also easier to port it to different platforms because it's just regular ifstream stuff.

Currently there's a little downtime with images and stuff because I'm working on the internal Empire System's AI which should hopefully be done this weekend. Which will mean a Lot more new fancy content is on its way!

But for now I leave you with this..
I'd like to announce that The Old World has official Native support for Windows, Mac and Linux!
ImageImageImageImageImage
JarrodParkes
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Yes, iPhone Application(s)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, PC

Post by JarrodParkes »

Joxno wrote: But for now I leave you with this..
I'd like to announce that The Old World has official Native support for Windows, Mac and Linux!
Wheeeeeeeeeeelllll. Great job, and keep up the good work! :worship: :worship:
Joxno
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Joxno »

Cheers yet again!

I apologize if I post a lot of updates, but weirdly enough recently I've been making quite a bit of progress.

Here is a small video of what I've been up to so far this weekend. which is the basics of my Empire AI.
There are no manual inputs involved, everything is handled by the AI (Resource Gathering, Building Requests, Building Placements, etc.)

I have to say the AI is turning out pretty good even though it's the first AI system I've ever written.

lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2

Post by lalacomun »

Love that AI its awsome ;) wating for new updates!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Joxno wrote:I apologize if I post a lot of updates, but weirdly enough recently I've been making quite a bit of progress.
Why would you ever apologize for that?? Keep 'em coming!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Wow. This thread is epic! This kind of game logic AI really separates the immersive gameplay from 2 minutes interesting game.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

cypher1554R wrote:This kind of game logic AI really separates the immersive gameplay from 2 minutes interesting game.
I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to say here. Perhaps there was a typo somewhere?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

dandymcgee wrote:
cypher1554R wrote:This kind of game logic AI really separates the immersive gameplay from 2 minutes interesting game.
I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to say here. Perhaps there was a typo somewhere?
Very many ^this.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

dandymcgee wrote:
err.. idk. I was trying to give a positive feedback. Like.. how much better it is to see something cool like an interesting new kind of AI-to-world interaction than some same old tested mechanism that turns out to be interesting for 2 minutes of playing. :/
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Joxno wrote:I'd like to announce that The Old World has official Native support for Windows, Mac and Linux!
This right here is about as trendy as it gets.

:bow:
Joxno
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Joxno »

dandymcgee wrote: Why would you ever apologize for that?? Keep 'em coming!
Hehe, well it felt like I was mass spamming updates, but I shall retract my apology and say cheers!
cypher1554R wrote: err.. idk. I was trying to give a positive feedback. Like.. how much better it is to see something cool like an interesting new kind of AI-to-world interaction than some same old tested mechanism that turns out to be interesting for 2 minutes of playing. :/
I was a bit confused at your first post but this cleared it up, thanks! That's kind of what I'm going for in terms of gameplay and AI design. I want to create an experience between you as the player and the computer, in a lot of recent and basically in all games created I feel like I've been missing that important experience, which meant for me as a player, separated me quite a bit from the AI of the game and also the world.
GyroVorbis wrote:This right here is about as trendy as it gets.
Cheers! I'm curious if booting up my ASUS 1000H and running it at a reasonable frame-rate would make it more trendy?

Cheers everyone for all the positive feedback!

Before I quickly sum up what I'm up to at the moment I'd like to say:
Recently I made a checklist of things left to do before I have a decent releasable game and also calculated how long each item on the list would take, and I have roughly less than 100 hours left (That's included extra time for optimization, testing and bug fixing.)

So on to summing up!
Currently I'm on the verge of completing my Empire AI, which should only take about 5-10hours. Besides from that I'm going to spend most of the weekend developing which means that I should be able to cross off at least half of the items on my release log. So expect some truly epic updates very soon!

Also a few questions I would like to throw out there,
Concerning the Art, how do you guys feel about the art in the game at this moment?
Is there anything so far that you guys feel is.. wrong in a sense or just doesn't feel correct?

Any feedback is welcome! Cheers!
Joxno
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Joxno »

Heyo guys!

It's been a little while, but don't worry, I haven't been slacking off.

And to prove to you all that I have actually been hard at work I have brought gifts, fancy ones as well.

Do please excuse the voice, 30 hours being awake coding and editing footage does tend to do that to you.
I've also tried to focus more on the eye-candy this time around since my few other videos have been mostly just tech. and then some demonstration, sometimes developers gotta make stuff look fancy to be able to attract people, But don't worry, the game-play won't be affected at all.

Really hope you guys enjoy it!

I'm also very excited to tell you guys that I'll be releasing an Alpha at the end of this month!

P.S: Also very excited for the next episode of ES! Which means double excitement for me!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Hey man, thanks again another awesome update! Only feedback I have is your video is a bit painful to start. All I see is the logo for the first 3 minutes or so while you rattle off URLs I can hardly understand. Perhaps you could post the URLs in the video description and just mention them, then talk about updates while showing off your game on-screen at the same time. Even if you can't do these things at the same time, you could always voice over a gameplay demo on a second pass.
Joxno
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Joxno »

dandymcgee wrote:Hey man, thanks again another awesome update! Only feedback I have is your video is a bit painful to start. All I see is the logo for the first 3 minutes or so while you rattle off URLs I can hardly understand. Perhaps you could post the URLs in the video description and just mention them, then talk about updates while showing off your game on-screen at the same time. Even if you can't do these things at the same time, you could always voice over a gameplay demo on a second pass.
Cheers!
Ah, yeah I'm really sorry about that, I was only meant to go a few seconds and then start the video but accidentally got off track. I'll see what I can do after some sleep or at least write it up and keep it in mind for next video. Which'll have a lot more game-play at slower speed, kinda rushed this one a bit.