2D RPG Engine

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Simple 2D RPG Engine

Post by Light-Dark »

My sincere apologies for leaving everyone hanging for awhile but I bring with me now a forecast of things to expect in the future:
- New Character Physics
- Particle Engine + Lua wrapper ( this one overfills the DC vertex buffer if you're not careful)
- Dedicated Warping system ( Features more Object Orientedness than you're used too with this engine ;) )
- VQ texture compression on Dreamcast
- VMU Shenanigans
- Special Textbox formatting ( you can color text and even put in special sprites!)
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Now with even more Dreamcast and monotone ramblings!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Nice work. Does the collision change with the depth warp? Like for example, to stop you from walking down through the ladder when you're underneath the platform, but still allowing you to walk up the ladder to get on top of the platform. I always wondered how that was handled in games like this.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

RyanPridgeon wrote:Nice work. Does the collision change with the depth warp? Like for example, to stop you from walking down through the ladder when you're underneath the platform, but still allowing you to walk up the ladder to get on top of the platform. I always wondered how that was handled in games like this.
Yep. Basically if you're not on the two depth values it warps between the warp system won't even bother to check for collisions with that warp. Same goes for the collision layer, the engine won't bother with collision geometry that isn't on the same depth layer as you. How I prevent gamebreaking scenarios, like getting stuck in the new collision plane in tight warp spaces after a warp, is to snap the player to the warp after a certain point before warping them.