2D RPG Engine

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Simple 2D RPG Engine

Post by Light-Dark »

Quick update, to be honest i havent made much progress with playing sonic 4 and Shores of Hazeron, got the new tile system working as well as the player system and main game system and debug system still got a long way to go, gotta make: Textbox system,Party system,menu system,lua system,string system,etc,etc. Anyways id like to recomend the game shores of hazeron to anyone looking for the most epic scifi,RPG,MMO,FPS,RTS,etc in existance, its basicly 1 huge galaxy where you build up your empire and technology and expand your teritory, 10% of the galaxy has actually been explored and the game is still in alpha i think and it can get a bit laggy but nonetheless its epic :D!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Apologies for no new monthly video, the fault is mine, i honestly dont have much to show off from march i took a huge break, but no worries i sat down today and patched the problems with the new second tile layer. The list of things to complete is narrowing month by month i hope by mid july i will have gotten all my shit together and start making a game.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Just a quick update, haven't really made any noteworthy progress on this Engine due to life and school. Although advances in story and art and the level editor/toolkit are being made.
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by lalacomun »

Light-Dark wrote:Just a quick update, haven't really made any noteworthy progress on this Engine due to life and school. Although advances in story and art and the level editor/toolkit are being made.
sweet, cant wait for next vid ;)
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

And a few months later...

I know they may be a little lack luster and it may appear that progress is slow, well thats because it is. I've been going through some difficult shit that's just very depressing and it knocked my motivation to hell, but recently all i've been doing is pushing myself towards working on this engine so productivity is starting to rise, im learning some OpenGL and QT because my SDL level editor is becoming very disatisfying and just isn't good enough for me, as demonstrated in the second video/most recent i have wrote my own text editor in QT with lua syntax highlighting. Anyways thats all folks.

EDIT:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wbxrbivgbzxfqb6
That is a build i release for a bunch of my friends a few days ago, there are some bugs that have been fixed in the current build that still reside but i thought why not open this one up to everyone :), you can edit lua scripts if you want, read the stuff in the documentation folder for info on our lua scripting system and controls. Enjoy!
Indie Tom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Stealthy game.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: nes, DOS etc.
Programming Language of Choice: c++, java, html.

Post by Indie Tom »

Is the battle system suppose to work?
Nothings happend when I press attack?
Code::Blocks and Coke.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Indie Tom wrote:Is the battle system suppose to work?
Nothings happend when I press attack?
My Apologies, i failed to mention that i broke the battle system awhile ago so it's kinda up and down, it will work sometimes fail others. It's being fixed actually right now but in this build i wouldn't count on it sorry :oops:
Indie Tom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Stealthy game.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: nes, DOS etc.
Programming Language of Choice: c++, java, html.

Post by Indie Tom »

eehhh...sorry for the last post it just did not work with the xbox contoller.
Code::Blocks and Coke.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Wow, your engine's source is all in a single file? I wonder how you can find yourself in that...
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

bbguimaraes wrote:Wow, your engine's source is all in a single file? I wonder how you can find yourself in that...
Yeah, back in the day around last year, i didn't exactly split anything into headers and such, but take solace in most stuff i write now-a-days i split my classes into headers and source files so its more organized, this however it's just been this way and i attempted a re-write but SDL_TTF was pissing me off and i just continued on, how i find myself well it's odd i think i have just about every function name in that file memorized :shock: so ill just do a ctrl+f type the name, i also have it split into 'sections' e.g all the lua code goes into a specific portion, all the class methods and such go into another and at the top is all the misc functions and variables and the bottom is where everything comes together(int main) so i guess it has some structure of organization.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Indie Tom wrote:eehhh...sorry for the last post it just did not work with the xbox contoller.
LOL! well goddamnit you found out i broke it... Yeah i mainly use the keyboard for input so i shove off the 360 controller as a lower priority, fear not ill fix it incase i release another build sometime.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by bbguimaraes »

If your editor supports it, you can open the file in two different windows or split windows inside the same window.

I started doing that in vi a while ago, now I use it all the time. Really handy when you need to edit something and come back to where you were (adding #include's is probably the most frequent)

Code: Select all

:sp
 gg
 i
 #include <somefile>
:wq
and you're done, back to work. I started using it much more when I discovered you can even open a split window that shows compile errors and lets you jump to the file and line!
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

bbguimaraes wrote:If your editor supports it, you can open the file in two different windows or split windows inside the same window.

I started doing that in vi a while ago, now I use it all the time. Really handy when you need to edit something and come back to where you were (adding #include's is probably the most frequent)

Code: Select all

:sp
 gg
 i
 #include <somefile>
:wq
and you're done, back to work. I started using it much more when I discovered you can even open a split window that shows compile errors and lets you jump to the file and line!

Thanks man ill look into it :)!
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by bbguimaraes »

Code::Blocks has split window funcionality (rick-click tab -> split, if I remember correctly).
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

bbguimaraes wrote:Code::Blocks has split window funcionality (rick-click tab -> split, if I remember correctly).
Thanks man, that came in handy earlier today when i was redoing portions of my Tile system and when i implemented a FPS display!