2D RPG Engine

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Simple 2D RPG Engine

Post by Light-Dark »

dandymcgee wrote:Wow, didn't know you were still working on this. Nice progress, you should post updates here more often!
I was planning on updating back in September but I felt like churning out more content to show. I've also been working on an NES platformer engine in between which actually got me to rethink my tile drawing and animating routines!
Falco Girgis wrote:Glad you're still fighting the good fight! Looks great.
Thanks man, I shall!

I'm also planning on possibly releasing a demo of what I have come Christmas for everyone so you can all take a spin for yourselves ( both PC and Dreamcast)!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Just finished this:
Attachments
Triggers.png
boom
(132.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Nice!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

The NPCSystem/FriendlyNPC system is pretty much done for the most part. I intertwined it with the TextboxSystem and lua so you can create NPCs from lua, load them up with some complex conversations and give them some fancy movement patterns and all that jazz! It's sort of like what I had way back in June of 2012 except a million times better! Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get this newfangled system running on Dreamcast, right after I get lua 5.1 compiled for it that is. Anyways that's all for today, thank you for the support and have yourselves a goodnight!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Light-Dark wrote:

The NPCSystem/FriendlyNPC system is pretty much done for the most part. I intertwined it with the TextboxSystem and lua so you can create NPCs from lua, load them up with some complex conversations and give them some fancy movement patterns and all that jazz! It's sort of like what I had way back in June of 2012 except a million times better! Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get this newfangled system running on Dreamcast, right after I get lua 5.1 compiled for it that is. Anyways that's all for today, thank you for the support and have yourselves a goodnight!
So you know, I've been following this and it is extremely awesome. I love that someone is keeping a similar aesthetic to the good ol' ES engine xD I'm sure you'll take it your own way in the future, but I love watching people just have fun with an engine. And this is an impressive engine at that! Keep up the good work :)
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Apologies for my quiet voice.

Edit:
Thought I'd include some different methods for people to test out the DC version for themselves

Burning a CDI (doesn't work on NullDC as nulldc apparently lacks support for hardware sprites):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nuwvc03us43hji/Engine.cdi

Using the SD Card loader:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9bm82o97shfsqe/Engine.iso

Using BBA/Coders cable (Just put the data folder in your /pc/ directory)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg4hbryi07wkbg9/Engine.zip
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

The Party Subsystem and the Stats/Party configuration screen of the in game menu are implemented and integrated as of now:
http://imgur.com/4U2nWYJ

I also decided it would be fun to make a huge chain of Characters using Lua :P:
http://imgur.com/YiTp3cF

I'm going to have a cap on the amount of Characters you can have eventually because of texture memory limitations and whatnot, but for now you can make massive parties if you please.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

The Crono Convention, lol.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

dandymcgee wrote:The Crono Convention, lol.
:lol: Yeah!

For those who want to see some more Dreamcast here is a couple pics of all the latest stuff running on the DC. This includes menus and the lua textbox events as demonstrated by "Music Guy" where you can select what song to be played via a textbox option ( Opticon by Orgy or The Final Battle from the Pier Solar OST, the sega cd enhanced version).

Music Guy:
http://imgur.com/Pdv3csR

Menu:
http://imgur.com/ZdlusLx
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Greetings friends! I have a few new things to share now, these things being:

- Camera Zooming and Rotating ( works on both platforms!)
- Music loop points, you can set a point to restart at after a song finishes to make it seem like it's in an infinite loop. SDL_Mixer doesn't support this type of thing AFAIK so I made a quick hack around it's looping system that works nicely(I slipped Audio_Loop into my library's input polling function lol):

- Added SoundFX support ( found a site with a bunch of zelda sound FX and now the textbox and menus make Zelda text/menu noises :D!)
- Went back to the level editor and got rid of all the single line dialog boxes in favour of some prettier unified ones now that I understand QT more. I also decided that it would be cool to be able to statically create NPC's with the editor opposed to having them solely in lua because I just wanted to make a somewhat complex dialog box lol

Level saving dialog:

NPC Creator Dialog:

That's all for today folks :)!
0x0000000
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Pokemans
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Gameboy Advance SP, Mac, Xbox360

Post by 0x0000000 »

Looks great dude :shock: Keep up the good work :)
Don't ask me about my username.
> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8520&start=999999#p85581
James Evesque
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Low Level Runtime in C99 for shared code.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, DMG, GBC, GENISIS, PSX, XBOX
Programming Language of Choice: ASM, C, C++, Lua

Post by James Evesque »

Seconded.
418 |
419 | #ifndef __cplusplus
420 | #define fucks_given 0
421 | #endif
422 |
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

0x0000000 wrote:Looks great dude :shock: Keep up the good work :)
James Evesque wrote:Seconded.
Thank you very much sirs! I shall :)!
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

You still working on this? It looks awesome. :mrgreen:
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

RyanPridgeon wrote:You still working on this? It looks awesome. :mrgreen:
Yes! Thank you! I actually just got a new physics system going. My old system was just the simple add velocity to position, check for collision, if collision then set position to the previous position. The new system incorporates things like acceleration, mass, friction and gravity. Sorry for not updating this thread for a bit as I've actually been taking a break from development to think some things through like the new physics.