2D RPG Engine

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Simple 2D RPG Engine

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
MarauderIIC wrote:QFT :)
Had to gts.
Google that shit? I still have been too lazy to google QFT.

Edit: Oh I see. Not nearly as mysterious as I originally thought it would be.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

I'd just like to thank everyone here for their continued support of this and I know this is a few days late but happy new year! Also I'd like to apologize for the over usage of Final Fantasy 4 elements in the build I've released to you guys lol, I was obsessed with FF4 at that time ( by the way if you haven't played it or are looking for a really good portable port get FF4 Complete it comes with the after years and all that jazz as well as beautifully updated sprites and it has both the original and an arranged soundtrack but nonetheless I digress). I also apologize for my lack of progress I planned on being a bit further but I guess this pause in work is actually beneficial gives me more time to heckle my friend to stop playing Minecraft and work on some more art.

On a side note, if you're subscribed to my YouTube channel you may have noticed two new videos that look like Runescape back when it was good (2006), Well this one dude is recreating 2006 Runescape and no I'm not talking about 2006Scape which was yesterday shutdown by Fagex. Most people believe that it was because they copied the old website because a lot of popular private servers are still running. Anyways I digress, it is currently in beta atm and you keep all your stats and stuff from the beta. The community I have found to be actually quite nice so if you're looking for some good nostalgia or want to play what many consider the golden age of RS here's a link: http://projectrs06.com/index.php, TAKE NOTE the servers are being upgraded at the moment so you may have to wait a day to actually start playing as they transfer everything.

Anyways I suppose I should stop whoring out things, thanks again everybody and I look forward to your continued support into 2013! Have a wonderful day.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Light-Dark wrote:On a side note, if you're subscribed to my YouTube channel you may have noticed two new videos that look like Runescape back when it was good (2006), Well this one dude is recreating 2006 Runescape and no I'm not talking about 2006Scape which was yesterday shutdown by Fagex. Most people believe that it was because they copied the old website because a lot of popular private servers are still running. Anyways I digress, it is currently in beta atm and you keep all your stats and stuff from the beta. The community I have found to be actually quite nice so if you're looking for some good nostalgia or want to play what many consider the golden age of RS here's a link: http://projectrs06.com/index.php, TAKE NOTE the servers are being upgraded at the moment so you may have to wait a day to actually start playing as they transfer everything.

Anyways I suppose I should stop whoring out things, thanks again everybody and I look forward to your continued support into 2013! Have a wonderful day.
Oh my god, me and my friends are going to have a heyday!
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

eatcomics wrote: Oh my god, me and my friends are going to have a heyday!
Also feel free to add me if you join :D, LightDark80! If you are looking to buy some food for say pking or anything shoot me a pm ingame I have a stock pile of cooked sharks and lobsters in the bank atm.

Also an update, I was a bit bored so in the past ten or so minutes I rigged the editor to give the file path of the current level it is editing via the command line to the engine when invoking it from there. It makes testing levels a lot less tedious now! I think I'll stick to small improvements when I'm bored until I'm feeling a bit better and maybe one day I'll take a crack at remaking the textbox system.

EDIT:

Sorry for the bad audio quality(headphone users beware!), enjoy!
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

In my continued boredom as I await the new RS06 server to come online I have made another small yet crucial addition to the level editor, I added a way to invoke the script editor and wait there is more, now it saves the file paths of the engine and script editor so every time you open it up you don't have to set it all up again you can just click invoke the script editor and bam it opens up so you can make your fancy lua script for whatever level you're making without having to set up desktop shortcuts for all the tools or go through your documents and such!
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Don't know if it's just me, but there seems to be no sound on the video...
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

bbguimaraes wrote:Don't know if it's just me, but there seems to be no sound on the video...
It has sound, whenever the engine is being used in it there is sound.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Sooooo Lua objects are making a comeback as demonstrated by this recording of a stream I did earlier. Been real busy the past couple of weeks last minuting some pretty annoying projects all leading up to some piss easy yet tediously long exams, things should start picking up as my mood has lifted ever since I cut a really selfish and mean person out of my life.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Hello again everybody, I have a big update to announce today!

The rendering system has been completely redone. SDL no longer handles rendering! This responsibility has now been shifted to OpenGL, which means smooth alpha blending,rotating,scaling and all sorts of possibilities now! As you can see in the picture above I've already put these new abilities to use by adding a volume slider to the empty settings menu and made the background sprites that fall rotate and scale!

The only negative thing about switching to OpenGL is I destroyed the log and basically all text based systems which means it's time for a texture mapped fonting system which I'm looking forward to making soon.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

Light-Dark wrote:The only negative thing about switching to OpenGL is I destroyed the log and basically all text based systems which means it's time for a texture mapped fonting system which I'm looking forward to making soon.
Oh, the memories... By the way, that video is looking nice.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Light-Dark wrote: The only negative thing about switching to OpenGL is I destroyed the log and basically all text based systems which means it's time for a texture mapped fonting system which I'm looking forward to making soon.
Could always replace SDL with SFML.. that will give you an OGL context and handle fonts quite nicely for you.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

bbguimaraes wrote:
Light-Dark wrote:The only negative thing about switching to OpenGL is I destroyed the log and basically all text based systems which means it's time for a texture mapped fonting system which I'm looking forward to making soon.
Oh, the memories... By the way, that video is looking nice.
Thank you sir,
dandymcgee wrote:
Light-Dark wrote: The only negative thing about switching to OpenGL is I destroyed the log and basically all text based systems which means it's time for a texture mapped fonting system which I'm looking forward to making soon.
Could always replace SDL with SFML.. that will give you an OGL context and handle fonts quite nicely for you.
Well damn to late now, just finished a text system but noted for future projects :)
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

Dreamcast port is now underway, it took ~2 years(the 2nd anniversary of the project is next week) but goddammit I've settled on a rendering system design I like and I'm fairly certain there won't be anymore rewrites, so look forward to possibly being able to test out a DC version in the next couple of weeks/months!
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nuwvc03us43hji/Engine.cdi

Just going to leave this here, I've tested it on an emulator and an actual DC and it should work :)
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer

Post by Light-Dark »

I suppose an update is in order. So the past month or so I have been mainly refining things I've already added, the only thing new that has been added is the tile animation flag which basically dictates whether that particular tile follows the animation rules for that particular tile type. The refinements for the engine include a more efficient collision checking system and frame independent movement for the character, while the refinements for the toolkit have been mainly UI(see screen shot below).
RefinedToolkit.png
(138.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet