How to port SDL game engine to Dreamcast?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

VoidElite
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Lunar Sanity, 2D engine for PC.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation
Programming Language of Choice: C

How to port SDL game engine to Dreamcast?

Post by VoidElite »

How do I port my engine to Dreamcast(C++ SDL)?
1)How do I compile for Dreamcast(what file extension does it use?)?
2)How do I put onto the Dreamcast?

Thanks. :)
I love 16-bit Assembly language programming. I'm currently having an affair with C++. I'm working on a 2D Game Engine called Lunar Sanity for PC and soon DC. I own three games consoles: Dreamcast, Xbox 360 and Atari Flashback. I'm on a Mac and soon a PC. I love Windows XP as it works great(can run 16-bit GUIs). I've been programming for 3 years(since I was 11).

I settling into my hybrid(procedural&object orientated) life. It's all good so far. :)
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: How to port SDL game engine to Dreamcast?

Post by N64vSNES »

VoidElite wrote:How do I port my engine to Dreamcast(C++ SDL)?
I'm not sure how to answer that question, do some googling?
VoidElite wrote: 1)How do I compile for Dreamcast(what file extension does it use?)?
Depends, normally *.bin but you would probably use *.elf
VoidElite wrote: 2)How do I put onto the Dreamcast?
Coders cable, BBA, CD pick your poison.

I know DC programming isn't that well documented but you could have found the answer to all of these questions with google.
VoidElite
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Lunar Sanity, 2D engine for PC.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Playstation
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by VoidElite »

N64vSNES wrote:
VoidElite wrote: 1)How do I compile for Dreamcast(what file extension does it use?)?

I know DC programming isn't that well documented but you could have found the answer to all of these questions with google.
Could Falco answer? He has more experience than any of us. Google doesn't help, not this time.
I love 16-bit Assembly language programming. I'm currently having an affair with C++. I'm working on a 2D Game Engine called Lunar Sanity for PC and soon DC. I own three games consoles: Dreamcast, Xbox 360 and Atari Flashback. I'm on a Mac and soon a PC. I love Windows XP as it works great(can run 16-bit GUIs). I've been programming for 3 years(since I was 11).

I settling into my hybrid(procedural&object orientated) life. It's all good so far. :)
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Could Falco answer? He has more experience than any of us. Google doesn't help, not this time.
Are you serious? Not only do you ask the question in two places (on the same forum) you turn down any help you get stating that it is not good enough?

I mean what do you think Falco's a mind reader? How about refining your question to EXACTLY what you want help with? Your questions are about as vague as they can be.
what file extension does it use?)?
Google told me it was .elf
Google doesn't help, not this time.
If google isn't working, how about a forum search (on this forum)?

http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/viewto ... f=6&t=4427

Hey look I found a forum post that was made by someone who is up to your standards! [/Sarcasm]

I'm serious about the refining your questions part, nobody has a clue as to what you really want to ask.
Last edited by short on Sun May 01, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

VoidElite wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:

I have no idea if Falco could answer, I guess you need to be asking him?

As for knowing more than the rest of us, he knows more than the rest of us on this forum.

With a single google search:
http://dcemulation.org/?title=Welcome_to_DCEmulation%21
http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/
http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=96802
http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 9&t=100002
http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=28240

Tutorials, compilers, development kits, some place to ask questions, a thread entitled "For those wishing to develop for dreamcast" all there with a single search ;)

Check out the forum and you'll find several more Falco's.

EDIT:
I should point out that when you say "how to I port this" I mean what exactly do you want to know? You can't possibly be wanting a step by step tutorial.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

First, you completely recode the graphics part of your engine to use the powerVR api from KallistiOS. Why? Because SDL is slow and bloated, especially for a limited platform like the dreamcast
VoidElite wrote:1)How do I compile for Dreamcast(what file extension does it use?)?
You use a cross-compiler that makes a dreamcast-compatible binary. I don't personally do dreamcast dev, but I would be surprised if there isn't some GCC shootoff that compiles for it. As for file extension, that doesn't matter one bit. Once it goes to the dreamcast, it doesn't give a fuck what the file extension is, it just cares about the data. IIRC it uses the ELF binary format, so if you NEED a file extension it's either .bin or .elf.
VoidElite wrote:2)How do I put onto the Dreamcast?
IIRC falco uses a coder's cable, which I believe is some ethernet-type connection that allows you to directly send binaries to the console. If you don't have one, invest in a CD-RW, because if you just had CD-R's you'd be using a shitton of them.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Ginto8 wrote:
First, you completely recode the graphics part of your engine to use the powerVR api from KallistiOS. Why? Because SDL is slow and bloated, especially for a limited platform like the dreamcast
Actually SDL isn't as bad as you would think, sure it doesn't even come close to PVR speed but I know some people still use it for basic graphical games. Also KGL is another option which I find a lot simpler but it's quite "incomplete" compared to OpenGL.
Ginto8 wrote: IIRC falco uses a coder's cable, which I believe is some ethernet-type connection that allows you to directly send binaries to the console. If you don't have one, invest in a CD-RW, because if you just had CD-R's you'd be using a shitton of them.
I'm fairly sure Falco uses A BBA, the coders cable is slow as hell (but I could be wrong)
As for CD-RW's AFAIK the Dreamcast doesn't read them although some people claim theirs do.
If all else fails there are programs such as demomenu which allows you to use multi-session CD-R's.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

1) I'm not answering the OP's question, because there have been 10 links posted that do at this point.

2) I own two coder's cables, but I use a BBA (coder's cables suck ass).

3) Ginto is correct about a GCC toolchain targeted at DC.

4) SDL runs like complete shit on Dreamcast. You aren't going to get anything remotely acceptable performance-wise without dropping to 320x240 resolution.