how to use a PS3

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

WilliamKiea
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

how to use a PS3

Post by WilliamKiea »

I noticed ES using a DC and i was wondering how to use PS3 in the same way. and how do you install SDL sorry noob question or one of those libs
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: how to use a PS3

Post by Ginto8 »

PS3 development is vastly different from dreamcast development. As far as I know, a method for making homebrew for it actually doesn't exist as of yet. And even if it existed, SDL on the PS3 would be wildly lacking when it comes to using the systems potential, even if you only want 2D.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Ginto8 wrote:PS3 development is vastly different from dreamcast development. As far as I know, a method for making homebrew for it actually doesn't exist as of yet. And even if it existed, SDL on the PS3 would be wildly lacking when it comes to using the systems potential, even if you only want 2D.
I should probably add to this that a friend of mine does some PS3 development and you need a modded PS3.
WilliamKiea
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by WilliamKiea »

Thanks for that. umm i guess this one is a little bit out of reach for now ^.^ but once i get better at C++ i hope a homebrew exists
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

SDL currently isn't working fully on the PS3, as there are some audio issues that prevent it from being built and I'm not entirely sure the progress of it.

However, there are other libraries out there you can use like tiny3d that have 3D and also 2D capabilities.
Homebrew is very much available, but you need to be on earlier firmwares and have CFW etc.
There's no place like ~/