Byte-Me Games Development Thread

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Byte-Me Games Development Thread

Post by MrDeathNote »

So for a few months now my brother and I have been working on a game. Specifically i'm developing the engine and toolkit, he's creating all the art (if he ever get's off his ass). I also have a friend who is willing to do the music for the game, maybe in the next episode i'll put some of his work in there to give you guys a feel for it. We decided it would be a good idea to record a devlog as a way to keep motivated and to get input from the youtube community. This was recorded over a couple of days and is just a taster of what is to come. I have big plan's for this series and this game, this first episode was very quickly thrown together just to get it out there but rest assured that the next episodes will be of much higher quality. I'll be posting progress updates here from time to time. As always I welcome input from you guys, i hope some of you will subscribe because I promise there is much more to come...

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Byte-Me Games Development Thread

Post by dandymcgee »

My internet is acting up so I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I really like the art I saw. You seem to have a solid start going on, I'll be watching for updates.

Also, I couldn't subscribe to your channel for some reason. Maybe it's because.. I'm already subscribed!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

dandymcgee wrote:My internet is acting up so I couldn't watch the whole thing, but I really like the art I saw. You seem to have a solid start going on, I'll be watching for updates.

Also, I couldn't subscribe to your channel for some reason. Maybe it's because.. I'm already subscribed!
Haha thanks man, yea the art looks really good when it's actually done :roll: One day he'll get his shit done, there's just about enough for a demo level at the min!

k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

i always like watching development vlogs/blogs :)

keen to follow this one and see how it goes
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

k1net1k wrote:i always like watching development vlogs/blogs :)

keen to follow this one and see how it goes
+1 ;)
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Hell yeah another RPG coming along! :bow: I'll be following ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Yes, I'm excited, this should be fun, keep uploading man! With the lack of AiGD episodes [glares at ES team] I've been needing a project that I can follow visually :D
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

Thanks guys, i'm gonna try get a vid out as often as possible(within reason) but i'll hopefully keep you guys updated when anything cool happens :)

EdBoon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Top down multiplayer shooter using unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: 360, SNES, ps1
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Post by EdBoon »

fuck yea man, going to follow as well, always helps with motivation watching these things.
is this an open ended project or do you have estimates for the time frame your dealing with?

no grid lines wooooooooooooooooooo
Undead Empire -> http://bit.ly/dYdu3z
Gamerscore Tracker -> http://bit.ly/vI4T4X
Undead Empire: Hellfire -> http://bit.ly/1AgC4ZY
facebook.com/BigRookGames twitter.com/BigRookGames
youtube.com/user/bigrookdigital
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

EdBoon wrote:fuck yea man, going to follow as well, always helps with motivation watching these things.
is this an open ended project or do you have estimates for the time frame your dealing with?

Grid lines? O_o
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

EdBoon wrote:fuck yea man, going to follow as well, always helps with motivation watching these things.

Thanks man! It's open ended at the min purely beccause i'm not sure how long i'm going to be able to spend on the project per week.
N64vSNES wrote: Grid lines? O_o
He was having problems in his game with grid lines showing on the screen and I was helping him with it. I can see how that would confuse ppl :p

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

MrDeathNote wrote:
He was having problems in his game with grid lines showing on the screen and I was helping him with it. I can see how that would confuse ppl :p
Oh right lol.
Back on topic, out of curiosity do you have any plans for a scripting launguage? :)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

N64vSNES wrote:
MrDeathNote wrote:
Oh right lol.
Back on topic, out of curiosity do you have any plans for a scripting launguage? :)
Indeed I do, lua is on the horizon. I'm hoping to have all the scripting options in the toolkit so when you create an npc you have check boxes for inbuilt components. Then i'm hoping to have a small script editor in the toolkit for creating scripts that you can then drag and drop on to an npc which will determine it's behaviour. I just want it to be extremely flexible and easy to create content so that the only tool we need to create the actual game is the toolkit.

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

MrDeathNote wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:
MrDeathNote wrote:
Oh right lol.
Indeed I do, lua is on the horizon. I'm hoping to have all the scripting options in the toolkit so when you create an npc you have check boxes for inbuilt components. Then i'm hoping to have a small script editor in the toolkit for creating scripts that you can then drag and drop on to an npc which will determine it's behaviour. I just want it to be extremely flexible and easy to create content so that the only tool we need to create the actual game is the toolkit.
If all goes to plan then level designing should be pretty enjoyable. EQ's Editor/toolkit lets you drop npcs into the game aswell as items and even attach scripts ( well the scripts arn't done yet ) and it works really well. One thing I suggest is a idea we got from AIGD is to invoke the main engine and play through the level because its kinda tediouse to save the map move it to the engine's data folder and load it in.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

N64vSNES wrote:
MrDeathNote wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:
MrDeathNote wrote:
Oh right lol.
If all goes to plan then level designing should be pretty enjoyable. EQ's Editor/toolkit lets you drop npcs into the game aswell as items and even attach scripts ( well the scripts arn't done yet ) and it works really well. One thing I suggest is a idea we got from AIGD is to invoke the main engine and play through the level because its kinda tediouse to save the map move it to the engine's data folder and load it in.
Yea, i actually have that implemented now. I could never see the point of making an amazing editor with a multitude of features and then make it so cumbersome to test the level, it's a must have in my opinion.