Electrobud Games Dev Diary

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gridbug
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Re: Electrobud Games Dev Diary

Post by Innerscope »

Hi all, it's been a while.
I just want to let everyone know that I've finally released a game to the app store! (although not any of the ones I had been working on before, also technically not an "Electrobud" game because this was largely my own endeavor)
[edit]
The game is called Wizard's Pie!
[/edit]
It's a puzzle/card game based off of a game called "Set" with some arcade elements thrown in for good measure.
Here's the itunes store link
It's free to download for now until Nov. 6th.
When I've made more time I'll do a bit of an in-depth diary entry on the games' development, over on my personal blog.

Let me know what you guys think!
Last edited by Innerscope on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Damn, son! That looks extremely polished! Congratulations on the release!

Just grabbed it from the appstore on my iPhone. Can't play it yet, since I'm at work, but I will let you know what I think once I get a chance!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I find it odd that you didn't mention it's name anywhere in your post (aside from indirectly via iTunes link).

The first thing I noticed was really flickery text during the intro scene. After that the game was fun (well, after I read the help.. wasn't really sure what the object was initially).

Also, no idea why there is a slice of cake in the menu with On/Off.

Edit: Nvm, seems like the cake is "Assist Card" after reading help.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Innerscope »

@Falco
Thanks dude! I spent a good deal of time on the polish aspect.
@dandymcgee
Your right, I didn't even notice that I left the title out! Flickery text? That might just be the transition from the intro to the title screen (it does a "horizontal blinds down" type effect) I also noticed that I managed to screw up the auto-start for the intro. :oops:
Yea, hopefully the assist card helped. Becoming acquainted with the rules is difficult if you've never played "Set" before. Hopefully I'll get an update out by the end of the month with a better help/clearer menus. When I look over people's shoulders at the mode select screen they keep tapping the mode itself instead of start, I immediately think of how stupid it was for me not to see that.
Last edited by Innerscope on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Innerscope wrote:@Flaco
Lmao :lol:
Innerscope wrote: @dandymcgee
Your right, I didn't even notice that I left the title out! Flickery text? That might just be the transition from the intro to the title screen (it does a "horizontal blinds down" type effect)
No, the blinds transition was quite obviously on purpose. Prior to that, during the intro animation / story, the dialog boxes would flicker horrendously during any background animation. In some cases when the animation had stopped the box would remain only partially visible and impossible to read.

Here's a screenshot from my iPad 2:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Innerscope »

dandymcgee wrote:
Your right, I didn't even notice that I left the title out! Flickery text? That might just be the transition from the intro to the title screen (it does a "horizontal blinds down" type effect)
No, the blinds transition was quite obviously on purpose. Prior to that, during the intro animation / story, the dialog boxes would flicker horrendously during any background animation. In some cases when the animation had stopped the box would remain only partially visible and impossible to read.
*Fixed* Sorry Falco.. (I know it's Falco, I was typing faster than I was reading)
That text tearing in the intro is really bizarre. I haven't tested the game on a physical iPad, but I'll eventually get around to releasing an iPad version. (probably at the end of the month)
Thanks for the feedback!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Innerscope wrote:*Fixed* Sorry Falco.. (I know it's Falco, I was typing faster than I was reading)
Hah, it was just a funny typo.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Innerscope wrote:
dandymcgee wrote:
*Fixed* Sorry Falco.. (I know it's Falco, I was typing faster than I was reading)
That text tearing in the intro is really bizarre. I haven't tested the game on a physical iPad, but I'll eventually get around to releasing an iPad version. (probably at the end of the month)
Thanks for the feedback!
It's actually doing that on my iPhone 4GS running iOS 5 as well.

Still waiting to play it beyond the intro video, though. Sitting at the hospital right now, post surgery, high as hell on drugs... So I will be getting some good gaming in relatively soon!
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Innerscope »

Falco Girgis wrote:It's actually doing that on my iPhone 4GS running iOS 5 as well.

Still waiting to play it beyond the intro video, though. Sitting at the hospital right now, post surgery, high as hell on drugs... So I will be getting some good gaming in relatively soon!
Ah man, I've only properly tested it on an iPhone 4 running iOS 5 - 6. I'll have to look at the code for drawing the dialog box, I recall doing that a bit differently from the rest of the game. At least I have an idea of what could be wrong...

Also, what the hell happened to you? Why are you in the hospital? Did I miss something? Are the drugs good?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Innerscope wrote:Also, what the hell happened to you? Why are you in the hospital? Did I miss something? Are the drugs good?
Quite good!

I just had a septoplasty to aide in my never-ending battle against sleep apnea.... Spending the night at the hospital so they can make sure I don't suffocate in my sleep.
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Innerscope »

Holy shit, I had no idea! Hope you're feeling better soon.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:Image
That's hilarious :lol:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Falco Girgis wrote:Image
"You think I look bad? You should see the other guy!"
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Innerscope »

hey all,
I just wanted to say that "Wizard's Pie" is now free again, and indefinitely. I figured it was the right move because no one's downloading it! :lol: Ya win some, ya lose some.

[Rant]
Here's a word of advice for anyone considering the iOS market: Make sure your release version is worth playing. You only get one chance to release and be put in the "Release Date" section. (Well, you can delete and recreate your app metadata, which I'd imagine can be worth it sometimes esp. if you get bad reviews for version 1) Also, don't make the mistake I made which is trying to develop for a niche market you don't really understand. One of the main reasons I did a card game was so that I could be a bigger fish in a smaller pond (comparatively speaking to other genres). The truth is, I enjoy playing the card game "Set", but would probably never download a digital version of it myself. I tried to alter the game to satisfy my taste for action/arcade. It works to some degree, but still looses its appeal quickly. It was a failed experiment, but a good learning experience.
[/Rant, will probably be a blog post once I get that rolling]

Anyway, I'm interested in using ESTk for my next big project. Is there a tentative release date yet? Or are things still too far away to speculate? (This particular project will be an Electrobud game ;) )