What projects are you currently working on?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: What projects are you currently working on?

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Both. The original intent is to resurrect my favorite card game: Star Wars CCG (once a direct competitor to MAGIC, now a tragedy dwindling in obscurity due to licensing failures). However, the pieces I am building are obviously so generic, it could be a useful card table for any other game.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Both. The original intent is to resurrect my favorite card game: Star Wars CCG (once a direct competitor to MAGIC, now a tragedy dwindling in obscurity due to licensing failures). However, the pieces I am building are obviously so generic, it could be a useful card table for any other game.
I DEMAND A POKEMON TRADING CARD GAME IMPLEMENTED WITH YOUR ENGINE! :D
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

Deliver AiGD 21, 22, 23, and 24. Deal.
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by bbguimaraes »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Deliver AiGD 21, 22, 23, and 24. Deal.
Ouch (but agreed =).
lalacomun
VS Setup Wizard
VS Setup Wizard
Favorite Gaming Platforms: psx, nintendo ds, gameboy advance, xbox 360, ps2

Post by lalacomun »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:Deliver AiGD 21, 22, 23, and 24. Deal.
That's the spirit! 8-)
DistortedLance
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DistortedLance »

Let's not be unreasonable; a Pokemon TCG is much more valuable than 4 development videos. I'd say it would be worth at least 8 ^_^
SegmentationFault
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: SIGSEGV Engine 1.0
Favorite Gaming Platforms: All the PlayStations, original Xbox, and Super NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++ or Python

Post by SegmentationFault »

I'm working on a small platformer/2D shooter engine in C++ with SFML. I gave it the name, the SIGSEGV engine.
0x0000000
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Pokemans
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Gameboy Advance SP, Mac, Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by 0x0000000 »

Project Name: ProENGINE
Project Start Date: January 2013
Platform: PC, Mac & maybe linux
Technologies: C++, SFML, OpenGL, Lua
Tools: Xcode, Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate, GiMP

ProENGINE is a 2D engine that I am currently working on. It uses the SFML graphics library along with OpenGL.
I am hoping to make a RPG with the name of Lost Inside with this engine when it is done.

All of this was inspired by Elysian Shadows, but unfortunately, I don't have any friends who know any programming, probably because I'm only 11 years old.
Without watching AiGD, I probably would not have been motivated enough to do anything, so thanks Elysian Shadows!
Don't ask me about my username.
> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8520&start=999999#p85581
steadi
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Game Of Engines
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC

Post by steadi »

Project Name: Game Of Engines
Platform(s): PC, Mac, Linux, DS
Technologies: OpenGL, Lua
Tools: Xcode, Qt

Game Of Engines is a 2D game engine designed to build world-creation games like the original Simcity. In addition to that, the engine can also create platforming games, RPG, ext. To read more about the project go to: http://www.indiedb.com/engines/game-of-engines
Solo Looper
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Lua, more soon?

Post by Solo Looper »

Project name: Death Derby
Start Date: February 2013
Platform: PC
Tool: Lua

Death Derby is an online game I'm working on. The only pro worth mentioning is that it offers the experience a programmer needs, such as: scripting/programming, losing hours and days of sleep. Even though I use pre made stuff because I can't draw (no skills in that area), I get to write in a programming language (lua) and that allows me to learn and become a better programmer. Maybe it is not the best way to go, but at least it settles for a good learning experience.

I'm also posting a picture of me working on the game. I have more if you guys want to see some goods and bads (because fails are funny and a necessary evil).
Attachments
Market Sees You.jpg
Market place work in progress
(232.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Calypso
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, GBC
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-c

Post by Calypso »

Project name: Unknown
Start Date: October 2012
Stop Date: April, 2013
Platform: iOS
Tool: Objective-c, Quartz/Core Animation

I had been programming officially since December 2011 but in AS3 (I worked for a company that did work on the Ganz Webkinz games for iOS and Facebook) but was being trained in Objective-c at work because we were shifting towards iOS only projects. Had the idea to do my own game or just a simple side project to get better at Objective-c that didnt involve the in-house framework we used at work so I teamed up with a friend at work and we started to document everything about what we wanted. A month later we started the actual programming, we never got into the game specific code but we made a decent 2d tile-based engine that runs at 50-60fps consistently. It was supposed to be an RPG that handled like Diablo (with the real time combat and how it was one big open world unless you were moving in/out of buildings or caves or whatever) and the look of an old SNES rpg like Zelda or FF IV. We got really busy with work and what not, also art became an issue as we arent the best artists which you can see we were using ripped sprites and tilesets. Here are some screenshots of what it looked like and a link to my blog where I kind of documented what we were working on through out development.

What the engine/game did have in it:
  • Tile generation
    Map switching
    NPC interaction
    Collision
    Quest system
    Notifications
    Enemy interaction
    Basic UI(menus, basic game flow, main UI)
    Sprite animations
    Animated Tiles
    Multi-layer support
    Object support(Loaded NPCs where they should when you approach the tile)

http://www.andrewapperley.ca
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Awesome first post, nice to see a new guy Calypso.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Calypso
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, GBC
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-c

Post by Calypso »

dandymcgee wrote:Awesome first post, nice to see a new guy Calypso.
Thank you man, thought that I should post it somewhere and saw this topic when I registered for the forum. When I was looking at how to approach the tile engine I came across the ES youtube channel, didn't teach me much but inspired me to keep working also I'm now learning C++ on the side.
Solo Looper
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Lua, more soon?

Post by Solo Looper »

Nice work Calypso.

I see most of you with nice art, I'm just here working on my web game that lacks art. Speaking of which, here are some more pictures:

(Work in progress)
download/file.php?mode=view&id=729

Me about to own:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/ ... 61xsta.jpg

Me about to get my ass kicked:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/ ... 61xu0f.jpg

Nothing like a drink after a long day:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/ ... 61xw84.jpg

Cheers!
Attachments
Starter.jpg
(206.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Safe.jpg
(211.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DistortedLance
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by DistortedLance »

I've been working on a level editor of sorts (Qt/C++), and I think I'm far along enough to post something about it:

There are four tile layers (two for terrain and two for objects), as well as Collision and Entity layers (although entities are not implemented yet). You can see the current selection in the Sheet View dock widget, and the currently drawing selection in the main view to the right (it's in region-filling mode in the image).

Just a small list of features:
  • Undo/Redo with shortcuts (working for all tile placement and collision placement)
  • Copy/Paste tile selections (even across maps, although it'll look funny if the sheets are different)
  • Tabbed map browsing
  • Create new areas and open saved areas from the menu
  • Rotate selection with arrow keys
  • Zoom in and out of the map with Ctrl+Wheel (alternatively Ctrl+Minus / Ctrl+Plus; reset the view with Space)
  • Multiple tile selection (there are four tree tiles selected in the image)
  • Region-filling (fills the entire rectangular area with the selected tile(s); useful for filling the map with grass)
  • Save and Save All prompts before quitting (I swear, it's an incredibly feature)
  • Asterisks for unsaved maps (except for newly-created-though-not-yet-saved maps)
With the way I have it set up, you can't use any of the fancy placement modes with the Collision layer - the selection is always a single collision box, and it can't be changed (left-click to place and right-click to remove). Click-and-drag is available, but I don't know if it would be worth implementing other kinds of collision selections (I would either need a collision "palette" in the sheet view, or have the default selection to be a single collision box and allow for fancy collision selection). The most useful tool for collision, if I were to implement one, would be region-filling for large, straight sections of collision.

I'm using a ton of QGraphicsItems to represent the tiles (and they fetch the proper QPixmap and render their own decorations in their paint function), although I'm wondering if this has a significant effect on performance. So far, I find no performance issues except when switching maps (about a second to a second and a half when switching between large areas - say, 150x150 - and I think I know why this is). I'm wondering if using a QGLWidget would offer much of an improvement. I would love any advice from the more experienced Qt gurus on the board!

Also, there is no "Project" structure at the moment - everything is just "standalone", so to speak. I might change things around to have some kind of project-like cohesiveness to make it easier to link maps together (otherwise, there could be issues when renaming maps and such). I do, at the very least, have the darn thing properly fetching the relative paths of files when using the "Browse" button when creating new areas. Was such a pain when I forced my brother to test some stuff for me T_T

Stuff I could get done quickly if I didn't lack motivation would be area property editing (width, height, name, sheets) and a prettier Layer View (it's disguuuusting - and I don't even intend for Entity to be an editable layer (I plan for that to be done in a separate dock). I just stuck the radio button there because I was lazy).

The editor is completed to the point where I should probably work on an engine to actually utilize the maps it spits out. I currently have some rectangles testing the separating axis theorem -_-