List of Music Required.

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

List of Music Required.

Post by Falco Girgis »

Here is a list of all of the music that needs to be composed for the game. By the way, the conversion between MIDI to OGG worked perfectly. I was playing the game with awesome music ^-^.

key:
[x] = completed [ ] = incomplete

[x] 1 menu theme
[ ] 2 main level themes
[x] Small victory song
[ ] Same as smaller version, yet longer for credits
[x] Boss 1 theme
[x] Boss 2 theme (I thought your Bass midi would work really good for that, but whether we use it is up to you.)

I played that BOSS.mid last night on dreamcast the length was just perfect for a longer song. I think it'd work out fine if every midi was only around 1 - 1.5 minutes long.

If you have any questions, then post them. If you want me to sample something, post here and I'll catch you on AIM. Thank you, and your music ownz.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Can you tell me more about this Midi to Ogg thing? I think I have a good use for that myself.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Can you tell me more about this Midi to Ogg thing? I think I have a good use for that myself.
Okay first off
What is a Midi
A midi is a sound/music file that is completely generated by the computer. This is ideal because it is universal (amongst PCs) and the file size is next to nothing.

What is an OGG file?
It is a type of music file that generates its own sounds (same as .wav and .mp3). It is widely used for music on a console.

A Dreamcast cannot generate its own sounds. No console can. The computer has built in sounds which is what a midi is. While the Dreamcast is able to play a MIDI if the additional libraries and such are included so that it can generate the sounds, this isn't practical. This'll be many megabytes of junk to compile for no reason.

I just decided I'd convert MIDI to OGG before the Dreamcast plays it for convenience. There is alot more crap to be done when coding to play a midi. Only one library must be included for OGG includes, and about a billion for midi.

FredDibnah's midis so far have been about ~15-30 Kilobytes in size. When I convert that to an ogg, it goes up to about 1-2 MegaBytes. Of the Dreamcast's large RAM (16 available Megabytes), this is next to nothing.

On a PC, midis are both universal and tiny, so using an ogg would be NOT good. I don't even think blitz can play an ogg file.

I just got a converter to convert midi to Mp3, wav, ogg, etc. For PC games, you should stick with midi. :wink:
Anarki
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Anarki »

If you would like some music from any Quake, you know I could get it.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

:shock: No, Anarki, we must leave our pirating ways behind.

Everything on this game will be copletely original and home made. FredDibnah has music covered. To tell you the truth, some of his stuff does sound alot like Quake. O.o

Either way, Fred ownz any ripped music.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

No, Anarki, we must leave our pirating ways behind.
You can easily say that since there is nothing left for you to pirate MR. I have every movie even the ones that have yet to be made or even thought of!!!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Super Sonic wrote:
No, Anarki, we must leave our pirating ways behind.
You can easily say that since there is nothing left for you to pirate MR. I have every movie even the ones that have yet to be made or even thought of!!!
:guffaw:

Post by Guest »

Okay, no pirating midi's. But what about SOUNDS? Unless you want me to go out and shoot someone with several differnt guns to get the sounds, what can we do?

Do you even consider it pirating if you can get them off of your quake three DC cd just by putting it in your PC?
Dark Crusader
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by Dark Crusader »

We could always hire a stunt man to shoot because we all know they are indistructable.... Hahahahahaha! Die fool! *BANG* BANG*
:gunpistols: :guffaw:
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

My suggestion is going to one of those FREE sound sites. It may be cheap but its not pirating.