Java Sucks

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Java Sucks

Post by dandymcgee »

During the most recent live stream, someone asked Falco why he hates Java so much.

This is one of the reasons why I hate Java:
http://www.zdnet.com/why-does-crapware- ... 000009830/

Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Re: Java Sucks

Post by bbguimaraes »

Worst thing is this prevents actual users from updating java on their computers (actual users being the ones that just give up when a computer tasks demands more than two steps).
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

This isn't even half as bad as Adobe's practice though. They put the crapware checkbox on the website before you even download the installer which means you're downloading an installer with embedded crapware and NO CHOICE to opt-out during the installation.

This pisses me off to no end.

Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC Xbox360 SNES N64

Post by StoveBacon »

McAfee is the bane of my existence. That shit was harder to remove from clients' computers than the actual malware.
SeaNanners wrote:"I shall be Vince Bonesteel and you will be....Rick McLightning!"
Day[9] wrote:"Read a book to children. Mass genocide. Lunch. The life of Dr. Seuss himself."
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

I had a discussion with some guys in #NESdev about Java and apparently it's actually used in Embedded Systems, especially in set-top-boxes. So the propaganda that "Java runs on 3 billion devices" including things like your car may be true which is slightly concerning.
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

StoveBacon wrote:McAfee is the bane of my existence. That shit was harder to remove from clients' computers than the actual malware.
Pro Tip: Never try to uninstall Norton without a tested working backup, its uninstaller basically bricks the system.

While I'm not a fan of either McAfee or Norton, you have to realize that there's is a legitimate reason they're so miserably difficult to remove: to prevent malware from simply disabling/uninstalling them.
Light-Dark wrote:I had a discussion with some guys in #NESdev about Java and apparently it's actually used in Embedded Systems, especially in set-top-boxes. So the propaganda that "Java runs on 3 billion devices" including things like your car may be true which is slightly concerning.
Java is everywhere.
Light-Dark
Dreamcast Developer
Dreamcast Developer
Current Project: 2D RPG & NES Platformer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES,SNES,N64,Genesis,Dreamcast,PC,Xbox360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Light-Dark »

dandymcgee wrote:
Light-Dark wrote:I had a discussion with some guys in #NESdev about Java and apparently it's actually used in Embedded Systems, especially in set-top-boxes. So the propaganda that "Java runs on 3 billion devices" including things like your car may be true which is slightly concerning.
Java is everywhere.
I'm crying.

Saravanakumar Ramalingam wrote:java is not made in c and java compiler was written in java itself ok it adopts the concepts from c and c++ got it
Java Keyboard Warrior wrote:I've been studying java for certain years. You don't know the power of java unless you study java. Better think twice before saying "java sucks"
<tpw_rules> LightDark: java is a consequence of inverse moore's law: every 18 months, the average program will be twice as slow. therefore, computers always run at the same percevied speed. java's invention was a monumental step
ron.lievens
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: bindur.com
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Nintendo, Sega & PC
Programming Language of Choice: Java, JavaScript, C

Post by ron.lievens »

Hi i'am a Java developer for many years (mostly server side).

I'll admin that Java on the user desktop is not my first choice.
(I hava the same feeling about Perl, Python, php, ...)

Java runs great on a lot of servers with high availability needs. (bank, insurance, government, phone centers; I know because I design and build these systems for this type of clients in Europe)
Also java (micro edition, a horrible standard) was on all mobile phones before the smartphone, java is also on the cell chip card (at least in Europe) and has hardware bytecode chips for embedded devices.

And all languages have pro's and con's, but don't fall in the one language/enviroment to rule all.
Saying one language sucks, is dumb!

So please don't bash a language because you can or doesn't fit you're job!
Choose the best tool for you're job and have fun creating code!
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by bbguimaraes »

No hard feelings, but did you create an account on the forum just to defend java? That and Microsoft embracing open source in a single week... The programming world really is going crazy.
ron.lievens
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ron.lievens »

Would you beleive me if i say i didn't?

It's a pity you ignored the last part of the message:

And all languages have pro's and con's, but don't fall in the one language/enviroment to rule all trap.
Choose the best tool for you're job and have fun creating code!
bbguimaraes
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by bbguimaraes »

My bachelor's thesis was based on a java application (weka). It was actually quite nice. In my experience, java's bad reputation suffers much more from the windows/enterprise kind of software companies write (and they would write shitty software even in haskell or lisp) than anything in the language itself.
ron.lievens
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ron.lievens »

I totally agree, no language can protect itself from shitty devers or shitty project managment.