Falco's worst nightmare realized

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Falco's worst nightmare realized

Postby MasterDunk on Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 am

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/09/the-second-coming-of-java/

I am sure you like some of the lines referring to its ability such as

"...software that has been finely tuned over the past fifteen years to run code at speed"

and

"Java is really the only choice when it comes to the requirements for a company like ours — extreme performance requirements..." :lol:
MasterDunk
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Falco's worst nightmare realized

Postby Falco Girgis on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:22 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Postby dandymcgee on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:32 pm

It's important to realize that by "Java" they are referring to a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), not necessarily the Java programming language. In fact, it is possible to compile a whole slew of languages to Java byte code to execute on a JVM these days. C being among them. Using the JVM as a backbone for huge, scalable web applications is not something new, major websites have been doing it for years.

It's also worth noting that Sun (now Oracle)'s JVM is just one of many proprietary, commercial, and open source implementations of the JVM. Wiki has a large list here.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Postby wtetzner on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:04 pm

dandymcgee wrote:It's important to realize that by "Java" they are referring to a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), not necessarily the Java programming language. In fact, it is possible to compile a whole slew of languages to Java byte code to execute on a JVM these days. C being among them. Using the JVM as a backbone for huge, scalable web applications is not something new, major websites have been doing it for years.

It's also worth noting that Sun (now Oracle)'s JVM is just one of many proprietary, commercial, and open source implementations of the JVM. Wiki has a large list here.

In fact I believe Twitter uses Scala and Clojure, not Java-the-language.

Also, keep in mind that when they're talking about performance they're comparing to Ruby.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Postby Falco Girgis on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:40 pm

And trust me, the JIT managed C/++ equivalents for .NET and JAVA bytecode are extremely bastardized, obviously. You can't produce safe code with either language.
"So what happens if the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter fails?"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Return to Current Events and Science/Technology