Visual Studio 11 Express will be Metro-only

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, N64
Programming Language of Choice: Proper C++

Visual Studio 11 Express will be Metro-only

Post by Nokurn »

I posted this in IRC last night, but it was around 3 am PDT so I don't think many people saw it.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/1 ... ts/express
Microsoft wrote:Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows 8 provides tools for Metro style app development. To create desktop apps, you need to use Visual Studio 11 Professional, or higher.
I can't upgrade my license to 11, so I'm glad I didn't use the beta long enough to get accustomed to it. I'll be sticking to 2010. I'd ditch VS completely and switch to Clang if the debugger wasn't so far beyond anything else at the moment.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: Visual Studio 11 Express will be Metro-only (No longer)

Post by Nokurn »

Microsoft realized that they're morons. There will be a 2012 Express edition for Windows Desktop according to this blog post.
JarrodParkes
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Yes, iPhone Application(s)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Visual Studio 11 Express will be Metro-only

Post by JarrodParkes »

Nokurn wrote:Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows 8 provides tools for Metro style app development. To create desktop apps, you need to use Visual Studio 11 Professional, or higher.
I am probably out of the loop, hence my asking this question. But is Windows moving towards this sort of "every program is a quasi-app" like Apple seems to be doing? If not, what platform is "Metro style app" targeting? Just the Windows phone(s)?

Thanks in advance, this is good information to know.
Nokurn
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Nokurn »

JarrodParkes wrote:
Nokurn wrote:Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows 8 provides tools for Metro style app development. To create desktop apps, you need to use Visual Studio 11 Professional, or higher.
I am probably out of the loop, hence my asking this question. But is Windows moving towards this sort of "every program is a quasi-app" like Apple seems to be doing? If not, what platform is "Metro style app" targeting? Just the Windows phone(s)?

Thanks in advance, this is good information to know.
I am not sure what you mean by "quasi-app."

"Metro-style apps" target the Metro environment, which is like Windows Phone for the desktop. Metro is a different desktop environment for Windows; think GNOME and KDE for Linux--or more appropriately, GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 or KDE 3 and KDE 4 (ie. one version is good for productivity, the other is good for fuck knows what). I'm not really the best person to explain Metro and its "role" in Windows 8, since I'm highly biased against it.
JarrodParkes
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Yes, iPhone Application(s)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by JarrodParkes »

I think you hit it on the head with your explanation. I wasn't really sure what I meant by quasi-app either... I think the explanation of the Metro environment was what I was trying to figure out the most.