Raspberry Pi

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: DC, Atari 2600, GC
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Raspberry Pi

Post by ZachO »

God I want one...... a 35 dollar linux(Fedora or Debian) box the size of a credit card with a decent amount of performance I'll post specs bellow but wow think of the possibilities. It was a project that set out to develop a low cost high(enough) performance computer that anyone in the world could afford and learn how to program. The language of choice is python and I believe it is a wise one. I love the python language and I plan on using this as a development box for my games. I have a co-op rpg project in the works in python and this will give me the opportunity to present it on many platforms. The first thing I thought of is its capability as a small(potentially portable) game console and media device.... Hmmmm..... I'll let you brew on this one :D.....

From online sources:

Raspberry Pie Computer Specs

Featuring the bare essentials needed to make a PC function with little superfluous bells and whistles, the open board that makes up the Raspberry Pi is fitted with a selection of components allowing users to hook the computer up to a television screen as well as add the all important keyboard needed to allow for command input.

Available in two slightly varying forms dependant upon consumer’s needs, the Raspberry Pi Model A boasts 256MB of RAM and a single USB port whilst the Model B variant adds a second USB connector and a network connectable Ethernet port.

Both versions of the Raspberry Pi computer feature the ARM1176JZFS 700GHz single-core processor and Videocore 4 GPU capable of Full1080P HD Blu-ray quality video playback. An SD card is needed for storage.

“The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard,” an official spokesperson for the charity based Raspberry Pi parent company has announced. “It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video.”

The spokesperson added that the purpose behind the basic Linux based PC is “to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.”

The graphical capabilities of the pocket-sized computers will be roughly equivalent to an original Microsoft Xbox levels of performance, which isn’t too bad considering it will only cost you $25(model A) or $35 (model B).
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I'm in line to buy one. They keep having manufacturing flops. T_T
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: DC, Atari 2600, GC
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by ZachO »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:T_T
IKR!? I missed the first batch....grrrrr I need one haha!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:They keep having manufacturing flops. T_T
Lol
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: