Wikipedia Blackout: Donate $1

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Wikipedia Blackout: Donate $1

Post by Ginto8 »

Everyone here should know about SOPA and PROTECT IP (if not, google it and you'll find plenty, and none of it good); but we only know about it because we keep up with tech news. The majority of people do not even know they exist. Major news outlets have either said jack shit about them, or barely mentioned them in passing. So if we want to get the word out, we have to do something radical - we have to black out the internet. Currently reddit and the Cheezburger network have agreed to a 12 hour strike on Jan. 18, 8 am E.T., and there are rumors of Google, Twitter, and Facebook considering it. But I think that one site will be the tipping point: Wikipedia, the site even Bing users go to. If Wikipedia goes through with it, I have no doubt that other sites will too. Its founder supports blacking out, but will defer to its community. So, to make it easier (and even beneficial) for Wikipedia to go through with this, please pledge to donate $1 at http://www.wikipediablackout.com/. No one really wants these bills to pass, but unless people realize what they are and what they will do, they will not act. Let's go for the gold here, and give this issue the publicity it deserves.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Wikipedia Blackout: Donate $1

Post by ismetteren »

Done.
Image ImageImage Image
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Done.
and there are rumors of Google, Twitter, and Facebook considering it
That would be absolutely astonishing.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

/signed
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

Gentlemen, it is official.
On January 18th, shit gets real and word gets out.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

This is one dollar I will never regret spending.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

If you'd like to add this forum to the protest, http://sopastrike.com/#how-to-strike gives a good description of what needs to happen.

EDIT: there's a list of companies protesting at http://sopastrike.com/. Google won't be blacking out, but will be putting a link on its homepage. minecraft.net is listed, but I can't find anything by notch about actually changing the site in protest.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

Ginto8 wrote:minecraft.net
If Minecraft.net is going down, folks won't be able to download such as the server, the game itself, and buy the game.
It will mostly be shitty for buyers, and also for those who have already paid for the game, that wanna get the server to play with friends, or someone needing to re-download the game.

It will show people that he doesn't support the bills, but it may harm many innocent people that have spent money to get the content that is on the site.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Ginto8 »

superLED wrote:
If Minecraft.net is going down, folks won't be able to download such as the server, the game itself, and buy the game.
It will mostly be shitty for buyers, and also for those who have already paid for the game, that wanna get the server to play with friends, or someone needing to re-download the game.

It will show people that he doesn't support the bills, but it may harm many innocent people that have spent money to get the content that is on the site.
It seems unlikely to me that he'll take the whole server down; he'll more likely make a (possibly big) note in the update feed on the launcher and will provide a prominent banner on the main site. Regardless it would only be for a day, and the same "harm" happens in any strike: when teachers go on strike, children do not get the education that their parents have paid for them to get. Sometimes, a message is worth a little harm.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

superLED wrote:

If this bill passes there may not be a minecraft anymore. Think of the alternatives.
superLED
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++, PHP

Post by superLED »

Okay, minecraft.net went black (well, actually red) today.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

superLED wrote:Okay, minecraft.net went black (well, actually red) today.
Minecraft went red? Life is over. I'll go kill myself now.
There's no place like ~/