Windows 8 Just (significantly annoyed apples business model)

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Windows 8 Just (significantly annoyed apples business mo

Post by teamtwentythree »

LeonBlade wrote: Like I stated before, I'd like more stock support for popular file types like PDF, IMG, different audio and video codecs, shit like that. It's time to get with the times here, Windows... pretty much every other operating system now has this kind of support stock
Just going to nit pick on this point. Pretty much every other operating system can include, for example, a browser of their own choice without getting sued. Not to say they couldn't support more, but they work under different rules than their competitors.

As for the rest, if they can just make Windows 7 better performance/power consumption wise (Which I assume they will for Tablets) it will be enough for me to switch on my laptop. The crazy fast boot times will probably be enough to upgrade my desktop. App store will make me happy when I finally get around to releasing something commercial for Windows.
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

teamtwentythree wrote:
LeonBlade wrote: Like I stated before, I'd like more stock support for popular file types like PDF, IMG, different audio and video codecs, shit like that. It's time to get with the times here, Windows... pretty much every other operating system now has this kind of support stock
Just going to nit pick on this point. Pretty much every other operating system can include, for example, a browser of their own choice without getting sued. Not to say they couldn't support more, but they work under different rules than their competitors.

As for the rest, if they can just make Windows 7 better performance/power consumption wise (Which I assume they will for Tablets) it will be enough for me to switch on my laptop. The crazy fast boot times will probably be enough to upgrade my desktop. App store will make me happy when I finally get around to releasing something commercial for Windows.
You hit it right on the head. Every time they add "more features" xyz company takes them to court. I mean, in some countries they can't even ship with IE installed....

Apple are lucky to get away with it in OSX, but to be fair, I think that Microsoft shouldn't be so restricted.
but a stupid market decision when it comes to why the fuck do you trick your consumers?
I'm trying hard not to make this a flame war - but tell me why "apple" hardware costs twice as much as hardware I can buy and get someone else to build? (or even myself?) Isn't that good marketing, tricking thier consumers to paying TWICE as much as everyone else... for... what? A flashy monitor with inbuilt hardware? Stop pretending that Microsoft is the only evil one out there, as Apple are much much worse in many more areas. Get your dammed facts straight.

There are lots of new features for windows 8 as well, such as the ability to reformat itself (both while wiping your data and not), brand new file system, ability to boost from USB drive, inbuilt virtulisation, (much) faster boost times, it uses less resources (from memory, about 33% less memory is used WHILE also having metro, and less CPU), much better support for multiple monitors, the list goes on. These are only the main changes, I'm sure that there are lots of little ones as well.

You have to realise that the release is mostly focused at metro right now as Windows wants developers to start messing aroudn with metro, to see what comes out. They can talk with the developer and find out what needs changeing, but as well, there'll be plenty of apps upon launch. Finally, the same OS can be used on a tablet as it can be on a computer, supporting x86, x86-64, AND ARM.

This is only a quick summary of the new features, there will be more.

I do admit that for the average home user/bussiness computer, there (appears) to be no point upgrading from Win7 to Win8. So what?
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

teamtwentythree wrote:Just going to nit pick on this point. Pretty much every other operating system can include, for example, a browser of their own choice without getting sued. Not to say they couldn't support more, but they work under different rules than their competitors.

I wouldn't see Microsoft being sued for implementing native IMG mounting and certain other file formats. As long as it's their code, I don't understand how they could be sued.

Boot times are nice, but if boot time is the only improvement I could care less. Seeing how there's going to be an entire layer of the new Windows 8 features stacked on top adding bulk that I don't want on top of the operating system, I'm willing to not upgrade for faster boot time. I want new features that I care about as a user and a developer. If performance includes less CPU usage with the core operating system then that would be good, but we'll see when it comes out.
Live-Dimension wrote:You hit it right on the head. Every time they add "more features" xyz company takes them to court. I mean, in some countries they can't even ship with IE installed....
I don't know what you're talking about what so ever with Microsoft being sued for new features. What exactly have they even added lately that would take them to court? And the only countries I could see IE not being allowed to be shipped with is some foreign fucked country like China where they try to censor everything.
Live-Dimension wrote:Apple are lucky to get away with it in OSX, but to be fair, I think that Microsoft shouldn't be so restricted.
I wouldn't consider it lucky, it should just be there... there shouldn't be like a "oh I wonder if this is gonna get us fucked over" it should just be okay I want to add this. I don't see how implementing IMG mount support could get someone sued for example.
Live-Dimension wrote:I'm trying hard not to make this a flame war - but tell me why "apple" hardware costs twice as much as hardware I can buy and get someone else to build? (or even myself?) Isn't that good marketing, tricking thier consumers to paying TWICE as much as everyone else... for... what? A flashy monitor with inbuilt hardware?
No, you're not trying what so ever. It's clear that's your intentions here because you continuously bring up Apple and OS X when they're not related at all to this conversation. First why did you put quotes around Apple? Second, no one tells you to buy an Apple computer just like no one tells you to buy a Dell or whatever else computer you want to buy. I'm not talking about computers here, I'm talking about software.

It's clear your plan here it to deviate from the topic in order to flame Apple in any way you can knowing I'm an OS X user. And even if hardware was involved for some random reason, Apple's products cost a lot not simply because of the hardware. Anyone who assumes that it's just the components in the machine is misinformed or bullshitting.

Apple creates OS X on their hardware giving the user the peace and mind knowing it's going to work out of the box with no extra configuration on their behalf. On top of that, the build quality of the devices themselves are very good. Solid aluminum casing with beautiful glossy displays, back lit keyboards on MacBook Pros, great peripherals like their trackpad and Magic Mouse with multi-touch technologies. All of these things make for a beautiful product, and that's where the full price comes into play.

If you want to talk about the operating system, OS X comes in one version like it should at a price of $30 while Windows tends to come in 4 useless versions at much bigger prices.
Live-Dimension wrote:Stop pretending that Microsoft is the only evil one out there, as Apple are much much worse in many more areas. Get your dammed facts straight.
I have my facts straight, you're the one trying to bring this stupid flame war of a company into the conversation about an operating system. I'm not even insulting Microsoft by the way, so I don't see how I'm making them look "evil" as you said. Get your opinions straight and out of this conversation please.
Live-Dimension wrote:There are lots of new features for windows 8 as well, such as the ability to reformat itself (both while wiping your data and not), brand new file system, ability to boost from USB drive, inbuilt virtulisation, (much) faster boost times, it uses less resources (from memory, about 33% less memory is used WHILE also having metro, and less CPU), much better support for multiple monitors, the list goes on. These are only the main changes, I'm sure that there are lots of little ones as well.
That's good they give the option to reinstall the operating system without losing your data. Kind of like partitioning your drives like you would on a Linux distro with your home on one partition and root in another, very good. Brand new file system is good, USB boot is good, and virtualization is good.
Live-Dimension wrote:You have to realise that the release is mostly focused at metro right now as Windows wants developers to start messing aroudn with metro, to see what comes out. They can talk with the developer and find out what needs changeing, but as well, there'll be plenty of apps upon launch. Finally, the same OS can be used on a tablet as it can be on a computer, supporting x86, x86-64, AND ARM.

This is only a quick summary of the new features, there will be more.

I do admit that for the average home user/bussiness computer, there (appears) to be no point upgrading from Win7 to Win8. So what?
Well this is the reason this topic is here, right? To talk about the features and to discuss what we like and dislike about it. About time you talked about some new things in Windows 8 instead of talking about Apple. If Windows 8 does supply those changes with an option to remove the Metro UI then I would consider trying it out in the future.

Please, from now on, let's keep this strictly Windows 8 talk.
There's no place like ~/
teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by teamtwentythree »

Dual booting Win8 on my laptop now.

If you haven't watched the videos in depth (I hadn't) the start menu is gone. The big tile page is the new start menu. Its not a replacement for the desktop on touch devices (Like I figured it was). I still haven't been able to get over this change. I liked the start menu and don't see why they would remove it. My guess is that it will make it back in before release. This build seems very much focused on the touch interface.

And wow do they hide the shutdown/restart under 7 layers of shit. The only thing I've found to reboot is to log out and then reboot from the lock screen. There's probably an easier way but I couldn't find it. "shutdown /s /f /t 0" from the command prompt does the trick like always.

Note, if you're dual booting you'll get the UEFI boot system. Basically Win8 will boot using UEFI, you'll be given the choice to boot Win7 / Win 8, if you chose 7 your PC will reboot into the BIOS and come up. Its a little wierd and makes it a bit of a pain to switch back/forth.

Aside from that IE10 seemed rather buggy, worse than previous betas so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Unless you've got a touch screen pc/tablet/monitor I would stay away for now.
BugInTheSYS
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Vintage Roads
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Delphi

Post by BugInTheSYS »

teamtwentythree wrote:Dual booting Win8 on my laptop now.

If you haven't watched the videos in depth (I hadn't) the start menu is gone. The big tile page is the new start menu. Its not a replacement for the desktop on touch devices (Like I figured it was). I still haven't been able to get over this change. I liked the start menu and don't see why they would remove it. My guess is that it will make it back in before release. This build seems very much focused on the touch interface.

And wow do they hide the shutdown/restart under 7 layers of shit. The only thing I've found to reboot is to log out and then reboot from the lock screen. There's probably an easier way but I couldn't find it. "shutdown /s /f /t 0" from the command prompt does the trick like always.

Note, if you're dual booting you'll get the UEFI boot system. Basically Win8 will boot using UEFI, you'll be given the choice to boot Win7 / Win 8, if you chose 7 your PC will reboot into the BIOS and come up. Its a little wierd and makes it a bit of a pain to switch back/forth.

Aside from that IE10 seemed rather buggy, worse than previous betas so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Unless you've got a touch screen pc/tablet/monitor I would stay away for now.
Hover above the windows logo in the lower left corner -> settings -> power.
Or, on the desktop, hit Alt+F4.
Pain to find that out, I know.
Someday, everything will go to /dev/null. - Bug's prophecy 13:37
qpHalcy0n
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by qpHalcy0n »

Its neat looking I suppose.

Clearly its designed for next generation touch screen computing....as anyone would figure after their foray w/ the Windows 7 phone (which the UI mimics).

Its pre-alpha, and behaves as such...obviously if you're sane you won't run this as your primary OS.