Buying a server to host a video game server?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

MrPacMan
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Buying a server to host a video game server?

Post by MrPacMan »

I want to buy a server to host a game on counterstrike. Now I know you can host it on your pc or use another companies servers but I want to have my own physical server.

First of all, is this the type of server I would need:
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BlackArmo ... B002HKCVVW

Second of all how would you setup up? Like normal computer?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Buying a server to host a video game server?

Post by dandymcgee »

Well first of all, that link you posted isn't even a server. If you can't identify a server vs. a network area storage device and you don't even know where to start setting one up once you do find it, you may want to reconsider how you plan to host counterstrike. If you just want your own server to play with a few buddies there shouldn't be anything wrong with using your own computer. If you're trying to create a huge server for loads of players to come visit, you should probably consider the possible consequences of the lax security that will inevitably come of your inexperience.

Consider these things and let us know if you would still like to spend hundreds of dollars and weeks worth of configuration time (assuming you don't have someone to do it for you) required to have your own personal server. If so, maybe we can give more focused advice.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

or you could pay for a hosted service and just pay a monthly fee. That might be a better idea considering your lack of understanding.
WreckKa
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, 360, PC, N64
Programming Language of Choice: DarkBASIC, C#
Location: Lost somewhere deep in the cybernetic abyss of the internet.

Post by WreckKa »

dandymcgee wrote:Well first of all, that link you posted isn't even a server. If you can't identify a server vs. a network area storage device and you don't even know where to start setting one up once you do find it, you may want to reconsider how you plan to host counterstrike. If you just want your own server to play with a few buddies there shouldn't be anything wrong with using your own computer. If you're trying to create a huge server for loads of players to come visit, you should probably consider the possible consequences of the lax security that will inevitably come of your inexperience.
Shot down! :shock: Mr. McGee has a point here, but don't feel discouraged- I've seen many people make similar mistakes for a game called Minecraft, and some still managed to set up a half-assed server. Seriously though, the configuration time isn't even an exaggeration, and there is nothing worse than putting a solid week's worth of work into something and finding it STILL does not work. I'm not saying to not try the method you're apparently trying to use right now, but if I've learned anything from programming, it's that if you want results with something new, you have to start small. Good luck!
- - - v - ^ -@
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

First of all, what Dandy said, it says "Network Attached Storage ST320005LSA10G-RK" it's not even a server it's a storage device, which you don't need unless your hosting something that will actually require 2 TBs of storage.... And you aren't. You network this in your server farm, or to your single server, and go look up different server settings, my favorite and what I recommend is a Ubuntu LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) then this link here proves useful.http://tinyurl.com/5uw6or5.
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock