E3 2011

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Fanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: E3 2011

Post by Fanatic »

Ofcoruse Kinect redefined gaming, it got rid of the need for a controller, although i would agree that it isint exactly something i would use its still innovative.

JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

I meant it was nothing that made people want an xbox more. I havn't seen someone go "Wow, with that revolutionary device, I must buy an Xbox!" Just another motion controller IMO. Although when it comes to PC software written for it, it almost makes it worth the money, but not quite.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

JaxDragon wrote:The fact that AT&T will be the sole 3G provider is balls, AT&T is crap where I live, and everywhere else for that matter..
Yeah, if I recall correctly, people booed at that. xD
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Trask wrote:
JaxDragon wrote:The fact that AT&T will be the sole 3G provider is balls, AT&T is crap where I live, and everywhere else for that matter..
Yeah, if I recall correctly, people booed at that. xD
where the hell did that quote come from? :|
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

Fanatic wrote:Ofcoruse Kinect redefined gaming, it got rid of the need for a controller, although i would agree that it isint exactly something i would use its still innovative.
I'm sorry, but the Kinect DOES NOT WORK and it's DEAD and it's for gimmick shit only. The new Fable is ON RAILS and you can't move where you want. How do you expect to do any hardcore ACTUAL REAL gaming on the thing? SPOILER ALERT: You can't, it's impossible. Hardcore gamers hate the Kinect because it's absolute trash. All the Kinect is good for is dancing games, fitness games, and sports games. Period.
I'm not trying to pull the "my opinion is right and yours isn't" bull shit, because that's just ignorance and bull shit. But really... you still think Microsoft won the show? They didn't show any exclusives but Halo 4 and Gears. Oh, and by the way, that "scanning real objects into game" thing was only a tech-demo and it was all pre-rendered shit. None of that stuff happened live on stage. So Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect Kinect. Kinect is not the future of gaming, and it's only killing the 360 even more than it already is. WHERE ARE THE GAMES?! I WANT GAMES!

And you don't have to be a Sony fan to come to this conclusion, you just have to be a REAL GAMER to come to this conclusion.
JaxDragon wrote:I never really bought into the idea of the kinect anyway. It was nothing that redefined gaming as we knew it. It was a peripheral. Same with the PS move. And the wii for that matter. I think Sony and MS only did motion control because the Wii was dominating in marketshare.

And sadly I dont think the 360 minecraft will have any of the mods, texture packs, dedicated servers etc like the pc version. Its not even being developed by Mojang. I'm curious to see how much they charge for it. Personally I think it's really more of a PC game. Im not sure if the PS vita version of minecraft is being developed by Mojang either.
I agree, however the Wii and the PlayStation Move motion controls make more sense as you have actual physical contact with things. BUTTONS BUTTONS BUTTONS are ESSENTIAL for any solid gameplay. The Wiimotes and PlayStation Move controllers can defiantly get some great action in there combining motion and buttons into one. However, they will never replace controller gaming on consoles, and that's something that they acknowledge; something Microsoft does not.

Sony DID have exclusives like Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider, Sly 4, Dark Souls, Rayman Origins, Starhawk, inFamous 2, Dust 514, Twisted Metal Black ALL EXCLUSIVE GAMES, and all great exclusive games.

Nintendo had their same line-up with their first-party exclusives showing some great stuff as well, and of course the Wii U.

Also, Minecraft isn't coming to Vita, it's coming to Sony Xperia (maybe expanding later). The 360 version of Minecraft is being developed by another team, and will not contain any mods texture packs or anything like that because Microsoft doesn't have an open network. And yes, Minecraft should always be a computer game, it's just in the nature of it. Also... Kinect + Minecraft = WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING? Explain how you will move, place blocks, delete blocks etc in this game. Doesn't even make any fucking sense, it's stupid. The only reason to get Minecraft on 360 is if you can't get it on your computer for some reason and even then, you should try harder to get it to work because its not worth it.

Also, let me just make sure I make this clear. I'm not hating on the 360 in general, I'm not saying the 360 is a bad console what so ever. I personally don't like it myself, but that doesn't mean it isn't good. It's just Microsoft never seems to deliver on exclusives EVER...
There's no place like ~/
Fanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Fanatic »

Dont get me worng, I dont even like the Kinect but if you say that the Kinect doesnt move motion capture gaming one step further then that is ignorance, I know its not all its cracked up to be, Gameplay wise. But the Kinect is a massive leap forward in gaming technology, I would never buy the Kinect but its good to see gaming tech moving forward.

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Fanatic wrote:Dont get me worng, I dont even like the Kinect but if you say that the Kinect doesnt move motion capture gaming one step further then that is ignorance, I know its not all its cracked up to be, Gameplay wise. But the Kinect is a massive leap forward in gaming technology, I would never buy the Kinect but its good to see gaming tech moving forward.
Kinect took what the EyeToy started to do and just made it better. It's not a massive leap forward in gaming technology, it's just a leap in technology in general.
There's no place like ~/
Fanatic
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Fanatic »

Yes, but If this is just the first step then who knows what gaming will be like in the future, All im sayign is the Kinect ISint all that good at the moment but once more companies decide to take the leap and develop new and exciting versions, then we wont know what it will be like.

Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast

Post by Aleios »

Mass effect 3 seems like it will be sexy graphical wise... story, lets hope its epic.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Fanatic wrote:Yes, but If this is just the first step then who knows what gaming will be like in the future, All im sayign is the Kinect ISint all that good at the moment but once more companies decide to take the leap and develop new and exciting versions, then we wont know what it will be like.
Sorry man, but I don't know anyone that likes Kinect at all, or thinks it's going anywhere good for gaming. Hell, /v/ hates it (then again they hate almost everything...). Point is, controllers gaming will never catch on to hardcore gamers.
Aleios wrote:Mass effect 3 seems like it will be sexy graphical wise... story, lets hope its epic.
Oh god... not that word again! :P Haha, so many people at E3 use the word epic, it's probably the most overused word at E3 >.<
But in all seriousness, I hope you ME3 fans get a good final game. :) I don't enjoy ME myself, but that's just me. ;)
There's no place like ~/
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

LeonBlade wrote:Oh god... not that word again! :P Haha, so many people at E3 use the word epic, it's probably the most overused word at E3 >.<
But "epic story" is one of the few places where it makes perfectly legitimate sense. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

dandymcgee wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:Oh god... not that word again! :P Haha, so many people at E3 use the word epic, it's probably the most overused word at E3 >.<
But "epic story" is one of the few places where it makes perfectly legitimate sense. ;)
It can! It's just sometimes people over-exaggerate, you know. :P It does look like it could live up to that though. ;)
There's no place like ~/
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

Just pre-ordered BF3 (unfortunately for XBox360). If I wasn't won over before, all the E3 presentations and demos totally won me over. Release date delivery FTW!
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Due to my current lack of internet, I haven't been able to find out all of the goings on at E3, but I have seen shots of the new U controller and I've heard they've got image scanning implemented into kinect now ( which I believe was a feature they mentioned a few E3s ago when they introduced the kinect, but never got out in the end), from what I hear nothing revolutionary (at least not at first) has come out, but that's the magic of the game industry, it's not always obvious whether a product is going to be successful, it all depends on how the users take to it and the software library, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
janequorzar
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by janequorzar »

I would have to agree on Leon on these points about Kinect. We bought and used it for ONE day for ONE game for the 360. After the first day, Its been collecting dust. Not much in good games for it.