A possible glimpse into the future

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby BlobOfFailure on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:19 am

Ginto8 wrote:You're afraid of the amount of radiation that that many electronic components creates? You should be scared to go outside, because I'd bet my life you get more harmful radiation from the sun than from electronics. ;)

I don't have that much of an argument to back up what I said, I agree it's a bit non-sensical, but from what I do understand about radiation (in high doses it causes radiation poisioning (obviously), and that having several X-Rays in under a month is enough of a dosage to lead to radiation poisioning) living in a giant house where basicly everything which surronds you is a giant iPad you would be exposed to a higher dose of radiation from day to day than most humans are used to, it may not lead to radiation poisioning but might not be healthy for people.

P.S - I don't really support what I said yesterday anymore, I just felt like saving my ego. :| So ya, I don't support what I said anymore... it was just an original thought which has passed after reading the wikipedia article on Radiation Poisioning.
User avatar
BlobOfFailure
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby EccentricDuck on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:29 am

You know, that stuff looks very cool, sleak, stylish, etc; but there's one thing I can't get over. Why do I need to be plugged in all the time? One thing I've become aware of is that I'm already finding myself too plugged in. I had a week off from school recently and went on a trip with my family. I intentionally turned my phone off for the week and only checked e-mail a few times and it was like everything in my head was suddenly clearer than it had been in a long time. It gave me a chance to stop queuing my brain to check the next thing coming my way.

I don't need to be plugged in when I'm peeing... hell, many of my best ideas come to me in the washroom when I've stepped away from everything else and have a chance to think with minimal distraction.

Give me a setup like that at my desk at home and a sleak/reduced version without popups and reminders for my entertainment setup. I want to engage with what I'm doing in the moment dammit ;)
User avatar
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:18 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby N64vSNES on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:17 am

I doubt this will ever happen.

I'm not saying we won't be able to, but most people have trouble sending a email. No way people would get used to this :lol:

And I like the mac look :evil:

EDIT:
EccentricDuck wrote:I don't need to be plugged in when I'm peeing... hell, many of my best ideas come to me in the washroom when I've stepped away from everything else and have a chance to think with minimal distraction.

^I rest my case :lol:
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby GroundUpEngine on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm

N64vSNES wrote:EDIT:
EccentricDuck wrote:I don't need to be plugged in when I'm peeing... hell, many of my best ideas come to me in the washroom when I've stepped away from everything else and have a chance to think with minimal distraction.

^I rest my case :lol:

+1... haha
User avatar
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: UK

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby ParticleGames on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:51 pm

This is a pretty cool concept, but I would hate to have my phone shatter all over my tile when I drop it :x
Check out my iPhone app here: http://twilighthop.com
User avatar
ParticleGames
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby TheBuzzSaw on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:27 pm

A whole day of glass, huh... You know, I'm OK with that. That means we could ban baseball!
User avatar
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby avansc on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:56 pm

TheBuzzSaw wrote:A whole day of glass, huh... You know, I'm OK with that. That means we could ban baseball!


and your little snot nosed kids. ah a world without kids. i changed my mind, I like this future.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
User avatar
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby eatcomics on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:59 pm

BuzzSaw doesn't have kids does he? Oh well.

I find this kind of future simply irritating. OOH So now I can get on facebook on my mirror... instead of just picking up my phone/ipod.... Where's the virtual reality, the robotic implants, the flying cars. You know cool things that I can't already do.
Image
User avatar
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby TheBuzzSaw on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 pm

I have a little girl.
User avatar
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby Marx Chaotix on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:41 am

TheBuzzSaw wrote:I have a little girl.



Aww.... congratulations BuzzSaw. 8-)

Yeah.... but if this is the, "supposed" future we're eventually leading to I don't think it'd be that great of an envirement for kids. If so then they damned well better start working on much sturdier shatter-proof glass :lol: Wouldn't want little Billy shooting holes in your house with his baseball. And, how expensive would it be to replace that kind of electronical crap in your house? I can only imagine it'd cost a fortune just to get one damned window replaced considered that everything in the house is pretty made up of hundreds of tablets and smartpads and whatnot. Wouldn't like this sort of future all to much.
User avatar
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 12:30 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby TheBuzzSaw on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 pm

Marx Chaotix wrote: Yeah.... but if this is the, "supposed" future we're eventually leading to I don't think it'd be that great of an envirement for kids. If so then they damned well better start working on much sturdier shatter-proof glass :lol: Wouldn't want little Billy shooting holes in your house with his baseball. And, how expensive would it be to replace that kind of electronical crap in your house? I can only imagine it'd cost a fortune just to get one damned window replaced considered that everything in the house is pretty made up of hundreds of tablets and smartpads and whatnot. Wouldn't like this sort of future all to much.

You'd be surprised. If society were literally integrated top to bottom with that technology, prices would not be all bad. I mean yes, it would certainly be more expensive than plain old glass, but if they were being manufactured en mass for every house on the planet, prices would come way down.
User avatar
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby eatcomics on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:00 pm

TheBuzzSaw wrote:I have a little girl.

Ope my bad. Think I knew that too, just forgot :P
Image
User avatar
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby THe Floating Brain on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm

dandymcgee wrote:Needs more color, I don't want the whole world looking like a big ass MacBook Pro. ;)

XD
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
User avatar
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: U.S

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby THe Floating Brain on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Intresting concept though it doesent seem practical with the cost and what happens when you get in a car accsedent with your glass car :-/
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
User avatar
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 pm
Location: U.S

Re: A possible glimpse into the future

Postby dandymcgee on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 pm

THe Floating Brain wrote:Intresting concept though it doesent seem practical with the cost and what happens when you get in a car accsedent with your glass car :-/

Please don't double post. :nono:

TheBuzzSaw wrote:You'd be surprised. If society were literally integrated top to bottom with that technology, prices would not be all bad. I mean yes, it would certainly be more expensive than plain old glass, but if they were being manufactured en mass for every house on the planet, prices would come way down.

Very true.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
User avatar
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
 
Posts: 4911
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: New Hampshire

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Science/Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron