(PlayStation Portable successor?)

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

(PlayStation Portable successor?)

Post by Marx Chaotix »

It wasn't until recently not so long after the announcement of the soon to be released 3DS (Which I'm sure everyone is more than familiar with) that Sony has decided to release their very own portable handheld. What is it's name? I dunno it simply is being stated as just "The Playstation Portable Successor" But, knowing Sony it will probably just be numerically marked just like their consoles (PSP1, PSP2, PSP3.... >_>) But, to be honest this looks like a fairly powerful machine. Not to mention it comes with 2 analog sticks (Heard a ton of complaints about the PSP only featuring 1) and it now is coming with a completely new interface. I just hope it can be unbricked like the psp or I'm not buying. And if so imagine how amazing it'd be if you could emulate DreamCast and PS2 games ^_^ now that'd definately make it worth buying. But as far as the specs go it's one helluva powerful machine as usual (Sony never dissappoints *shrugs*) But, knowing me I'm going to stick with the 3DS for now (due to it having a large library of games I already want to play) And hopefully when and if people figure a way to unbrick it and when the price of it is marked down......)

So what does everyone think? I wish they had a picture of it but I'm sure it won't look to different from the PSP (I could be wrong)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStatio ... _successor

The only things that I'm worried about from these two new handhelds as that they'll probably just like the early generations of the PSP not be able to hold a charge >_< ugh! I hate that why do they always insist on completely disregarding the battery life? I really hope that Sony works on that. I examined the specs of the 3DS and apparently Nintendo is repeating the same mistakes! When will they learn >_> a handheld isn't exactly so handheld when you have to stand over an electrical outlet every 2 hours.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: (PlayStation Portable successor?)

Post by MrDeathNote »

Check this out, looks pretty sexy to me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12296685

Also, i still use the psp that i got on the release day and the battery still lasts around 3.5-4hrs. Never had a problem with it at all.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Dayum that looks like a beefy hand-held!

MEL!
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Man it looks like Sony is just riding along the rails to get by. The DS destroyed the PSP in sales and on top of it smartphones with all their cheap applications are also taking the cake. Haha I saw the mobile PSP Phone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSP_Phone I won't lie that this device looks slick and sexy but it's intentions are quite apparent on what they're trying to do. I like their conept and am glad to see that people now even have gaming smartphones lol. But I'm a bit worried about the pricetag of this phone.. I love Sony's products but never enjoyed the hefty pricetag that they thow on their products. But I wonder just how well the PSP's successor will hold out against the 3DS and the smartphones with their gaming apps.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

Marx Chaotix wrote:Man it looks like Sony is just riding along the rails to get by. The DS destroyed the PSP in sales and on top of it smartphones with all their cheap applications are also taking the cake. Haha I saw the mobile PSP Phone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSP_Phone I won't lie that this device looks slick and sexy but it's intentions are quite apparent on what they're trying to do. I like their conept and am glad to see that people now even have gaming smartphones lol. But I'm a bit worried about the pricetag of this phone.. I love Sony's products but never enjoyed the hefty pricetag that they thow on their products. But I wonder just how well the PSP's successor will hold out against the 3DS and the smartphones with their gaming apps.
I know i'll be getting one, I love the original psp already. Everything that I wanted that the psp didn't have the ngp does. With graphics that are going to smoke the 3DS, its a gamers platform not a kids toy. Don't get me wrong, i love the DS as well but I always felt that in terms of power it just couldn't stand up to the psp. Also the fact that the DS was marketed to kids annoyed me a bit too and the games released reflected this (again, dont get me wrong there are plenty of DS games that I like, but more that I don't).

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

MrDeathNote wrote:
Marx Chaotix wrote:Man it looks like Sony is just riding along the rails to get by. The DS destroyed the PSP in sales and on top of it smartphones with all their cheap applications are also taking the cake. Haha I saw the mobile PSP Phone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSP_Phone I won't lie that this device looks slick and sexy but it's intentions are quite apparent on what they're trying to do. I like their conept and am glad to see that people now even have gaming smartphones lol. But I'm a bit worried about the pricetag of this phone.. I love Sony's products but never enjoyed the hefty pricetag that they thow on their products. But I wonder just how well the PSP's successor will hold out against the 3DS and the smartphones with their gaming apps.
I know i'll be getting one, I love the original psp already. Everything that I wanted that the psp didn't have the ngp does. With graphics that are going to smoke the 3DS, its a gamers platform not a kids toy. Don't get me wrong, i love the DS as well but I always felt that in terms of power it just couldn't stand up to the psp. Also the fact that the DS was marketed to kids annoyed me a bit too and the games released reflected this (again, dont get me wrong there are plenty of DS games that I like, but more that I don't).

I completely and totally agree with you on every aspect. I just REALLY hope that someone will discover a way to unbrick this the exact way the PSP can be unbricked. That'll IMMEDIATLY make this handheld into a must-have. I might still end up getting the 3DS first. (only for a small handful of games that are coming out such as Pokemon, the new resident evil, and HOLY SHIT I want the megaman legends 3!!!! been waiting YEARS for that lol)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Marx Chaotix wrote:
MrDeathNote wrote:

I completely and totally agree with you on every aspect. I just REALLY hope that someone will discover a way to unbrick this the exact way the PSP can be unbricked. That'll IMMEDIATLY make this handheld into a must-have. I might still end up getting the 3DS first. (only for a small handful of games that are coming out such as Pokemon, the new resident evil, and HOLY SHIT I want the megaman legends 3!!!! been waiting YEARS for that lol)
I am definitely getting a 3DS if only for homebrew and MM3 ;) As for the new PSP I'm not sure. It will be hella costly I'm sure.
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

If I have enough money when this comes out I think I might get it. I've never had a PSP before, but I've used friends' PSPs and I think they're pretty awesome. The back touch pad is a pretty crazy feature. This definitely seems to be towards a different part of the handheld market than the 3DS is aimed at. Who knows, maybe this will end up being the next thing every one wants, or maybe it will fail?
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I'm a very big handheld fan and I'm very amazed at how fast portable technology is moving forward. I mean the 3DS is pretty much the equivilant of a Nintendo GameCube graphically and power-wise. And the psp successor is nearly a freakin' portable PS3 O.o I just hope that when these two badasses come out that people will start to take the handhelds more seriously. lol! Remember when handheld remakes of console based games usually sold poorly because the handhelds were no where near as powerful lol? Well I guess that won't be a problem anymore.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Oh wow! Check this video out!? And they also updated the wikipedia article on the PSP2. Anyways I stumbled upon this amazing video demonstrating the PSP2's abilities. It has a touchpad on the (back) of the handheld allowing player interaction.

http://www.gamespot.com/ngp/action/yaku ... id=6287058

scroll down a bit then you'll see the video demonstration
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Ok the touchpads are cool... but honestly what are they going to do for some serious gaming? I'm hoping we see some RTSs or something, but much more than that I don't see
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

eatcomics wrote:Ok the touchpads are cool... but honestly what are they going to do for some serious gaming? I'm hoping we see some RTSs or something, but much more than that I don't see
Are you joking, i think this is the first handheld that will be for serious gaming. Can you honestly say that the nintendo hanhelds have been for serious gaming? I think not. And I think you could be on to something with the rts especially with the touch screen & touch pad.

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

MrDeathNote wrote:
eatcomics wrote:Ok the touchpads are cool... but honestly what are they going to do for some serious gaming? I'm hoping we see some RTSs or something, but much more than that I don't see
Are you joking, i think this is the first handheld that will be for serious gaming. Can you honestly say that the nintendo hanhelds have been for serious gaming? I think not. And I think you could be on to something with the rts especially with the touch screen & touch pad.
The DS thing is what worries, the thing has 2 screens, one being touch, and its all gimmicky. Granted the touch has been used quite successfully in some games. But I think gamers are just accustomed to controllers. Thank god they want it to have dual analog sticks, because that's one thing that really bugged me about the PSP is its mono nub, it just feels wrong