BSoD

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

BSoD

Post by thejahooli »

*EDIT* Solved this problem, see below for new problem

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
I am continuosly getting the Blue Screen of Death (Windows Stop Message) on my Windows 7 computer. The intervals seem to be random, sometimes it crashes immediatly on boot and sometimes it lasts for ~10 minutes before crashing. The errors seem to be changing every time and the two error messages which I managed to write down and remember were BAD_POOL_HEADER and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, although I remember there being some others. My computer is relatively new so I'm reasonably annoyed that it is not working properly, but if any of you have had experience with the BSoD and can help me fix it I would be grateful. Currently I can only run it on Safe Mode with Networking, and I have used System Restore to restore it to before the crashes began to occur.

Edit: 64 bit Windows version
Last edited by thejahooli on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'll make your software hardware.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Re: BSoD

Post by cypher1554R »

Which version do you have installed? (64/32bit)
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

cypher1554R wrote:Which version do you have installed? (64/32bit)
64bit.
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

its sounding to me like a drivers issue. if it runs in safe mode (eg minimal drivers loaded) and you are getting IRQ errors. i would be removing all your drivers, and installing them 1 by 1. if it turns out you are getting the problems only after you install say the video card drivers, then thats your culprit. failing that, run a memtest program to see if its dodgy ram. also check that your ram is setup correctly in BIOS
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by xiphirx »

I'm suspecting bad RAM.
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

I got another message, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, so RAM sounds like a reasonable culprit. I'll try that first and then try reinstalling drivers. The only question I have about this is why it works in safe mode, as I would not think that that would affect the RAM much.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

thejahooli wrote:I got another message, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, so RAM sounds like a reasonable culprit. I'll try that first and then try reinstalling drivers. The only question I have about this is why it works in safe mode, as I would not think that that would affect the RAM much.
Almost by definition, there is significantly less going on when running in Safe Mode. As k1net1k said, running memtest86 is highly recommended.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

look up your ram and motherboard and make sure it is actually matched properly for your motherboard. eg speed/latency etc. its possible to have memory downclocked or overclocked causing problems. as for why it works in safe more, no idea...
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

thejahooli wrote:
cypher1554R wrote:Which version do you have installed? (64/32bit)
64bit.
If everything else fails, try installing a 32-bit version.
Unless you are absolutely sure that your machine is 64bit compatible and don't even want to think about switching.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

I ran memtest86, but it did not come up with any errors after 3 times and 1:30 hours.
As for reinstalling drivers, could someone give me some advice on which drivers to uninstall. The last thing I would want is to unstill an import part of the computer and break it more.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Computer Not Booting

Post by thejahooli »

I'm appending this to the previous posts because I don't feel like starting a new topic and it might (although I don't think it is) be related.

I seemingly fixed my computer after reinstalling my video card driver and had no problem with it for weeks. However now my computer is once again failing to work. It started with my computer crashing when booting into Windows where a red bar would appear at the top of my screen and everything would crash. Then it began to freeze on BIOS startup messages and not respond. However it then started to work for a bit (a couple of hours) until I shut it down.

When next trying to turn it on it doesn't boot anything at all. Nothing appears at all, I can hear the fans and hard drive spinning but not even the BIOS messages appear. There is one fan I can hear which speeds up and then slows down as if it is turning off and on every few seconds. There is also a blue light which flashes at the same time as the speed changes.

It is definitely a hardware problem, I just don't know which piece of hardware. If anyone has any idea what could be wrong their help would be appreciated greatly.
Last edited by thejahooli on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I had a RAM nightmare a few months ago. I would get BSoD all the time. It pained me to no end. I finally discovered I had very bad RAM sticks.

As of recent, I only seem to get BSoD while playing Magicka along with the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT message. Garbage collector, indeed... :nono:
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast

Re: Computer Not Booting

Post by Aleios »

Ok, is your hard drive making a clicking sound? if so, its the hard drive not being able to spin up, or the head got misplaced, in which case i hope you backed up everything. You said the fan was speeding up and slowing down? have you tried resetting the bios? this happened to me before and i just popped the bios (or maybe it was the cmos? the little flat battery) battery out and put it back in, then it went through its little setup time/date and all was fine.

It could be your video card? or maybe some faulty RAM? you can try removing the video card and using the system VGA (if even common anymore?) and see if it runs.

its countless what could be happening, thats the 'fun' of bloody computers, they screw up and their is many possibility of issues.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Computer Not Booting

Post by thejahooli »

Aleios wrote:It could be your video card? or maybe some faulty RAM? you can try removing the video card and using the system VGA (if even common anymore?) and see if it runs.
I think that my video card is the problem. I have removed it and the strange fan noises have stopped and it sounds to be running as it should. My motherboard has no on-board graphics though, so I have no way of testing if this really was the problem. Is there any way I can be sure that the problem is with the video card, so that I don't have to buy a new card only to realise that it a different problem.
Last edited by thejahooli on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Sounds like a similar issue to what I had once, minus the graphics card being on-board.....No solution was ever found.

If you're lucky it'll be the dodgy RAM. (relatively cheaply replaced).

If not the RAM, I really have no idea, sorry.