Sony suing fail0verflow and Geohot

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Sony suing fail0verflow and Geohot

Post by JaxDragon »

Just found out Sony's trying to sue Gehot and the fail0verflow team.

Info at geohots website http://geohot.com.

My opinion?
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Sony suing fail0verflow and Geohot

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I can understand Sony's concerns for their products. I mean what gaming industry wouldn't? They'll be losing money on these deals of course. But, personally as a gamer I'm all for unbricking, hacking, jailbreaking any device to be able to play any game I please. However, Sony just like every other company out there is fighting a losing battle. So long as there are consoles or electronic gizmos out there, there will be some gaming nerd with an urge to tinker and toy with them and have a burning desire to share their findings with the internets. And the instant they to put something on the internet it's going to STAY on the internet. Even if Sony manages to shut these guys down a hundred nerds will immediatly jump in their places and repost everything up. The best thing that Sony can do is literally not put any stress on the situation and let it go. All that Sony would be doing is giving this small epidemic publicity. And if they do make this small epidemic get it's publicity then the rest of the people who are ignorant of the idea of jailbreaking a PS3 will find out that they can simply just hack the console. If Sony continues publicizing and bitching and whining their just going to be digging their own graves. Last I checked Sega did something similar to this with the Sega Dreamcast.... *cough* Echelon! *cough* and we know just how well that went. :lol:

I especially remember Bleemcast! lol
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by JaxDragon »

It just irritates me that Sony refuses to accept that the damage has already been done. The key is out there. People are still developing homebrew. All they're doing is trying to get money out of Hotz, and say "Hey, you use your console in a way we don't like, we'll sue you."
dr-snipe
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Java, PHP

Post by dr-snipe »

I can see that they care because people are doing "unintended" things with their stuff. But, people are still going out and buying their products. There's no real harm being done to anybody. :|
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

dr-snipe wrote:I can see that they care because people are doing "unintended" things with their stuff. But, people are still going out and buying their products. There's no real harm being done to anybody. :|
No harm done as of yet at least. If Sony continues to publicisize this very small group of hackers then, everyone who was ignorant to this will start doing this allowing this tiny group to grow in numbers. Then eventually the Playstation 3 could go the way of the Dreamcast and they will have to pull the plug on their console which is as of only until recently gaining momentum. *sigh* that would be a shame. When this console very first was created they were losing so much money due to how expensive the technology was in it's day now as soon as they're FINALLY generating profits they'll have to pull the plug on it? Not very good business-wise. Sony needs to learn to let go of this small epidemic and accept that there will always be small-time hackers out to tinker and toy with their products. Remember Bleemcast?