Poverty Rates of the United States

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Poverty Rates of the United States

Post by Marx Chaotix »

http://www.npc.umich.edu/poverty/
http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Lea ... _facts.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in ... ted_States

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-SmIAruRPrc?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-SmIAruRPrc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmIAruRPrc

Summary

{{Information

|Description=
English: US poverty rate estimate for all ages in 2008. Data comes from US census bureau data here. I used this python script to colour in each county along with a CSV derived from the census data.

Legend:
<5%
<10%
<15%
<20%
<25%
<30%
<35%
<40%
>40%

couldn't get the color key copied out >_< but you get the idea the super dark red is 40% whereas the whitish areas are merely 5%
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Poverty Rates of the United States

Post by avansc »

Does the term poverty get defined... because im getting a feeling its pretty liberally defined, its not poverty in the sense of "african" poverty.

just saw the link, yeah altho thats not much, and im not sure how an employed person can make that much, (dont know if thats pre or post tax), but thats still a bucket load of money in terms of REAL poverty.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

avansc wrote:Does the term poverty get defined... because im getting a feeling its pretty liberally defined, its not poverty in the sense of "african" poverty.

just saw the link, yeah altho thats not much, and im not sure how an employed person can make that much, (dont know if thats pre or post tax), but thats still a bucket load of money in terms of REAL poverty.
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/09poverty.shtml

The 2009 Poverty Guidelines for the
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia Persons in family Poverty guideline
1 $10,830
2 14,570
3 18,310
4 22,050
5 25,790
6 29,530
7 33,270
8 37,010

But I agree the poverty in America is much better than the ones in 3rd world countries
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I'm not trying to compare it to 3rd world countries and of COURSE it's not nearly as bad. I'm simply showing everybody just how bad our standards of living are becoming compared to previous times. Everybody always goes on about how much worse things are getting so I thought maybe it'd help a few people out to give them a picture of just exactly how bad things are.
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

Marx Chaotix wrote:I'm not trying to compare it to 3rd world countries and of COURSE it's not nearly as bad. I'm simply showing everybody just how bad our standards of living are becoming compared to previous times. Everybody always goes on about how much worse things are getting so I thought maybe it'd help a few people out to give them a picture of just exactly how bad things are.
I personally think it has gotten up compared to the Great depression and before the whole industrialization.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

davidthefat wrote:
Marx Chaotix wrote:I'm not trying to compare it to 3rd world countries and of COURSE it's not nearly as bad. I'm simply showing everybody just how bad our standards of living are becoming compared to previous times. Everybody always goes on about how much worse things are getting so I thought maybe it'd help a few people out to give them a picture of just exactly how bad things are.
I personally think it has gotten up compared to the Great depression and before the whole industrialization.
I'd bet you're wrong when talking strictly about poverty and what you're able to purchase. It's definitely up in the US from the early 70s though.

You may have an argument for quality of life... although I'm not sure working 14 hour days during the summer and then not working much during the winter (to conserve energy since it's cold) was necessarily a lively existence. There's no doubt that it probably wasn't as stressful, but having several kids since two or three are likely to die, since you're barely producing enough food for your family, hardly seems like a high quality of life to me. Yeah, I don't think that argument would hold much. There's no doubt that many people's lives probably sucked during the early days of the industrial revolution (and the argument that they had a choice doesn't hold much ground, particularly in Britain where it took route, since parliamentary land reforms forced large numbers of people off the land that they previously had a right to work through historic deeds with the feudal landlords... although it did coincide with increased efficiencies in crop production). At the same time, people weren't starving as frequently (although I'm not sure you could say that mortality rates were positively affected right away since debilitating injuries and subsequent inability to make a living were simply a way of life). Out of it came increased transportation, material goods, and massive increases in crop production. Also, working conditions did improve (better safety, higher pay, shorter days, lower child mortality, better food, etc) AND productivity continued to improve (keep this point in mind since the former can not continue to increase in a sustainable manner without the latter, despite what many unions would like to believe).

Food for thought.