Video Game Controls RC Car

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Video Game Controls RC Car

Post by trufun202 »

Nifty. Reminds me of that movie, WarGames, where they think they're playing a video game, but they are actually affecting reality.

In my opinion, the next step would be to translate the car's real-world coordinates into a 3D space. Then you could be driving through a virtual world and the real world at the same time! :shock2:

EDIT: More Info here - http://racer.sputnic.tv/
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Video Game Controls RC Car

Post by MrDeathNote »

That's bad as hell, i love it and i want one right now!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

That sick. Totally awesome idea. It sucks being on crash duty though, haha.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Germans.... oh wait!
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

TBH with you, I am not very impressed... Just sending video feedback to the monitor and the guy is controlling with the wheel...
What I am impressed is the track, thats about it...
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

davidthefat wrote:TBH with you, I am not very impressed... Just sending video feedback to the monitor and the guy is controlling with the wheel...
I agree, from a strictly technical perspective, it's nothing groundbreaking. But, it's innovative and it makes you think. Since their inception, RC cars have always been controlled from a third-person perspective. For the first time, you get to be in the driver's seat. I could see toy companies releasing something like this and having a huge hit.

It also blurs the line between between a virtual world and the real world. When you're playing the game, you're not thinking about it being an RC car with a camera stapped on the bumper. You're immersed in a virtual world where you're sitting in the front seat driving a car, just like a video game. However, in this case, the virtual world is also affecting the real world.

As I said earlier, imagine if the car's real-world coordinates where translated into a 3D space. (ala Avatar) So, on screen, you're playing a real-time 3D video game, while also racing a car in the real world. Now THAT is cool. (And scary...)
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

except for when you flip the car... that would suck....
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

trufun202 wrote:
davidthefat wrote:TBH with you, I am not very impressed... Just sending video feedback to the monitor and the guy is controlling with the wheel...
I agree, from a strictly technical perspective, it's nothing groundbreaking. But, it's innovative and it makes you think. Since their inception, RC cars have always been controlled from a third-person perspective. For the first time, you get to be in the driver's seat. I could see toy companies releasing something like this and having a huge hit.

It also blurs the line between between a virtual world and the real world. When you're playing the game, you're not thinking about it being an RC car with a camera stapped on the bumper. You're immersed in a virtual world where you're sitting in the front seat driving a car, just like a video game. However, in this case, the virtual world is also affecting the real world.

As I said earlier, imagine if the car's real-world coordinates where translated into a 3D space. (ala Avatar) So, on screen, you're playing a real-time 3D video game, while also racing a car in the real world. Now THAT is cool. (And scary...)
Actually thats not far fetched at all, thats how autonomous robots locate themselves, on a coordinate grid. So just having a computer representation of the robot is not that hard, in fact I am doing something similar for my robotics team.
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS

Post by pritam »

The idea having a wireless camera on an RC toy might not be that new but I think this is utilizing it in a cool way. Hope he figures out a good way to turn the car over once it flips upside down then it'd be perfect and just imagine all the cool stuff you could do with that real life track as well (having the real life coords like trufun said, you could make a very interactive track).
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

pritam wrote:Hope he figures out a good way to turn the car over once it flips upside down then it'd be perfect and just imagine all the cool stuff you could do with that real life track as well (having the real life coords like trufun said, you could make a very interactive track).
Gives a whole new meaning to NASCAR.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: