Evangelicals Bring Jesus To Public Schools

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Evangelicals Bring Jesus To Public Schools

Post by eatcomics »

because our laws and customs are outdated....
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

davidthefat wrote:Why is it that when you mention Jesus Christ that everyone gets uncomfortable? This nation is paradoxical IMHO. We take oath on the bible in court and when taking public offices, yet we can't teach about the contents of the book they are putting an oath on? Thats very ironic in my book. Also pledge of allegiance, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." Why do we make people say those words without educating about the God they are united under? I find that very ironic, the country is not even united, on the map it is, but it is a very divided country.

Let me ask all of you, who is Jesus Christ? God? Or a Great Teacher?
I'd have to say a great teacher who has been quoted by various men with passages selectively chosen (and perhaps altered) to be put in a nice neat book by a powerful medieval institution for the purposes of self-conceived righteous control of the masses. I won't even talk about the god part... but I do think that certain lessons in that selectively compiled book are definitely worth paying attention to - especially from the Sermon on the Mount. I would totally be roasted for saying that in front of someone who's very strongly religious though: "WHAT, THAT'S BLASPHEMY, YOU CAN'T DECIDE WHAT WORDS ARE RIGHT AND WHAT ARE WRONG!". Let's just say that I don't care too much for strict adherence to a book written and compiled by people, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any good lessons to be learned from people.

EDIT: Sorry for bringing up an old topic - I didn't realize this had been dead for a month.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

in this case its probably fine. That is a good point you have....
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by WSPSNIPER »

davidthefat wrote:Why is it that when you mention Jesus Christ that everyone gets uncomfortable? This nation is paradoxical IMHO. We take oath on the bible in court and when taking public offices, yet we can't teach about the contents of the book they are putting an oath on? Thats very ironic in my book. Also pledge of allegiance, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." Why do we make people say those words without educating about the God they are united under? I find that very ironic, the country is not even united, on the map it is, but it is a very divided country.

i do agree that our nation is not united, but i feel that America was founded as the land of the free meaning that we can not persecute people because they have a different religion. I'm not sure if they still use the bible for the oath but if they do i feel that is unfair to people who dont believe in it because they are FORCED to swear on it and they dont even believe what is in the book. i think we should just drop religion because people are people and religion is just a part of life we should not put focus on other peoples business, we should just worry about what we believe in and get along with everyone in our country then we would be united not dependent on religion... i feel the same way about politics. You should NOT place yourself into a political party, IMO republican vs democrat is so stupid, everyone should have their own independent ideas and views on every topic weather it is supported by the party that they support... just my 2 cents :D
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

EccentricDuck wrote:

I'd have to say a great teacher who has been quoted by various men with passages selectively chosen (and perhaps altered) to be put in a nice neat book by a powerful medieval institution for the purposes of self-conceived righteous control of the masses. I won't even talk about the god part... but I do think that certain lessons in that selectively compiled book are definitely worth paying attention to - especially from the Sermon on the Mount. I would totally be roasted for saying that in front of someone who's very strongly religious though: "WHAT, THAT'S BLASPHEMY, YOU CAN'T DECIDE WHAT WORDS ARE RIGHT AND WHAT ARE WRONG!". Let's just say that I don't care too much for strict adherence to a book written and compiled by people, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any good lessons to be learned from people.

EDIT: Sorry for bringing up an old topic - I didn't realize this had been dead for a month.
Jesus Christ called himself God on multiple occasions. So that leaves 2 choices here: either Jesus of Nazareth is in fact God or he is a lunatic that honestly believed he was God. He can not be a good teacher; what good teacher will purposely lead billions of people to follow him as God while he clearly know he isn't. I would not call him good if he is not God, but an evil blasphemer. But that leaves 2 choices: God or lunatic. He can not be a lunatic because he has genuinely changed lives, billions of them, and he has made an impact in history that can not possibly overturned. Well lets see on Judgement day who is correct; I know Jesus of Nazareth is in fact Christ and God.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Seperation of Church and State, nuff said.
Get Religion out of Schools and all of government, you realize it's possible to run a government WITHOUT religion.
Sorry, I haven't read much of this thread though, so I can't reply to anyone.
There's no place like ~/
WSPSNIPER
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: top down shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: ps3
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by WSPSNIPER »

LeonBlade wrote:Seperation of Church and State, nuff said.
Get Religion out of Schools and all of government, you realize it's possible to run a government WITHOUT religion.
Sorry, I haven't read much of this thread though, so I can't reply to anyone.

100% agree
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

davidthefat wrote:Jesus Christ called himself God on multiple occasions.
If you knew anything about the history of the Bible, you would know that this is questionable at best. Even if anyone who actually knew Jesus wrote any of the gospels, it would still be questionable - and you don't even have that.
davidthefat wrote:So that leaves 2 choices here: either Jesus of Nazareth is in fact God or he is a lunatic that honestly believed he was God.
Did you go to the CS Lewis school of logical fallacies? The above point nullifies this.
davidthefat wrote:He can not be a lunatic because he has genuinely changed lives, billions of them, and he has made an impact in history that can not possibly overturned.
I'd love to see your evidence that this is impossible for someone labeled a lunatic.
davidthefat wrote:Well lets see on Judgement day who is correct; I know Jesus of Nazareth is in fact Christ and God.
No. You don't. It's what you believe. And that's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that you don't know shit.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Well I for one, want religion back in education.

Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
boettcher
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by boettcher »

Aaaannd now it's a NSFW board. Well, depending on where you work, I guess.
Nothing* in life is fixed or set in stone, so get out there and Carpe the hell out of the Diem.
*Except politics and the NBA
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I was totally looking at these forums at school today, with the substitute teacher right behind me. I am seriously glad avan didn't have it posted then xD
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Yeah... A while back I was told to take a gif. image down for it being "innappropriate" for people who are at work or school. It'd be appreciated if some users on here used a little discression. There are people who really do use these forums as a source of information (even while in school) so posting those sort of things probably wouldn't be the best.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

at least use
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
tags
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.