Buyit useit crackit burnit ripit changeit code-unlockit...

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Buyit useit crackit burnit ripit changeit code-unlockit...

Post by wearymemory »

...Technologic.

In lieu of my dangerously sexy wordplay, have you heard about these legalized copyright circumvention exceptions? Among these actions legalized are:

1) Using short clips from DVDs that were lawfully made and acquired for educational, critical, or evaluative purposes.
2) Jailbreaking or enabling a device to execute lawfully obtained applications that are otherwise unable to run on that device.
3) Unlocking your phone so as to lawfully connect to another network.
4) Cracking, exploiting, or hacking video game software in order to inform the owner of security flaws, so that they may be properly dealt with.
5) Modifying technology that relies on dongles that have been deemed obsolete; and
6) modifying legally obtained e-book formats that prevent speech technology from reading those books aloud.

Of course, license agreements that restrict such actions (e.g. Apple not allowing users to jailbreak their device) are still upheld (so you shouldn't send your jailbroken device to Apple if you need it repaired).

Research it.

What are your thoughts?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Buyit useit crackit burnit ripit changeit code-unlockit...

Post by dandymcgee »

Haha, awesome.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Buyit useit crackit burnit ripit changeit code-unlockit...

Post by eatcomics »

meh jailbreaking was legal before I don't care what apples says, you own it, you may jailbreak it. Of course if another carrier refuses to give you service, they may do that