modem

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

zahannum

modem

Post by zahannum »

What is the difference between an expensive cable modem and a cheap cable modem? I recently bought an Xbox 360 and I am tired of moving my cable modem between my computer and my xbox. I have an Motorola SB5120 right now. Will I notice any difference in online game play between the modem I have now and a cheap or older model modem? Any recomendations?
animangaman690
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: TDS
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++, C#

Re: modem

Post by animangaman690 »

I think a more expensive modem will increase your bandwidth
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Get yourself a cheap 100mbit/1gbit switch. Attach the modem/router to the switch, and the computer/xbox to the switch. Your computer and xbox will always stay online then, unless you take out a cable. In fact, this is my current setup, and it works well. Just make sure your cable modem/router supports dhcp/can assign multiple static device ip's.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Blast it with piss.
There's no place like ~/
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

LeonBlade wrote:Blast it with piss.
Already drunk at noon?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:Blast it with piss.
Already drunk at noon?
I was going to ask the same thing, but I thought it would make people get mad at me for going offtopic, I'm glad you said it :D
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

I don't drink, so no.
There's no place like ~/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

YAY me either :D
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

Live-Dimension wrote:Get yourself a cheap 100mbit/1gbit switch. Attach the modem/router to the switch, and the computer/xbox to the switch. Your computer and xbox will always stay online then, unless you take out a cable. In fact, this is my current setup, and it works well. Just make sure your cable modem/router supports dhcp/can assign multiple static device ip's.
This is also how i would do it. Is it even possible to have two modems on one internet connection? I am not sure, but since the amount of wires going into my house only seems to allow one modem(there is only one of them for internet) i read a little about what cable modems actually are, since i did not know(or should it be 'knew'?.. confusing grammar :P) .

Remember all i know about modems comes from these 10 minutes of research ;)
From what i can understand the cable modem is used for using the analog cable tv network to transfer digital information for internet connections. Therefore you only need one of those per internet cable you have going into your house.

What you need is to get a router, so you can have more devices behind that modem. When you have a router, you can just put switches behind it to attach even more devices to your network. As Live-Dimension said it should support DHCP unless you want to set internal ip address, DNS server and stuff like that on all your devices manually(No idea about how this works on the xbox and if it even is possible) but AFAIK basically all routers supports that.

All that being said, i also have to say that i am not 100% sure about this, so someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Image ImageImage Image