VMU as robot brain.

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

VMU as robot brain.

Post by JS Lemming »

I love robotics, always have. And I always wanted to build one. NOT the stupid kind where they have to be controlled by a person, but one that thinks for itself, ya know, AI stuff. Well one day I got a book from teh local libra-wry, on building robots. I'm reading along when it comes to the page on prices for microcontrollers (chips/brains) for home made robots.... we're talking like 160$ for the chip and $100 for the compiler that the chip uses. There went my hopes. BUT just recently I thought, why not use a VMU as the brains. Its programable and sorta small. I could wire it so that sensors press the buttons on the VMU or better yet, figure out what the port can send and recieve. I wonder if its possible to send data from the VMU connector thing and vice versa. O well. BTW, VMU's only cost $4.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote: I wonder if its possible to send data from the VMU connector thing and vice versa. O well. BTW, VMU's only cost $4.
WTF? You're kidding of course it's possible! How else do you save on a DC? How else can your VMU hook up to other VMUs and play multiplayer or transfer files?

Yes, yes, t3h VMU is freaking awesome.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

It sounds cool, but alas, I am way too stupid to build a robot. :( I'm pouring my time into NEStix and working on this animated TV show I want to make. But JS, it's a great idea. I say, GO FOR IT!!!!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I remember just last year when I brought my beloved blue VMU to school only to be shunned by JSL. He said it was useless and pathetic, etc.

Same kid now wants to build a robot with it...
:roll:

Fug. Q. VMU haters!
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

GyroVorbis wrote:I remember just last year when I brought my beloved blue VMU to school only to be shunned by JSL. He said it was useless and pathetic, etc.

Same kid now wants to build a robot with it...
:roll:

Fug. Q. VMU haters!
Whoa Whoa whoa... i never said that! Fool, I said it was pretty neat. I think you were showing me a game where a chao walks infinately on a straight path. I thought that was kinda dumb so I was probably bashing the game not the hardware.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Lol, dude, Chao Adventure 1/2 was a milestone in gaming!

Do you know how many people spent 400 x 10^23 hours of their life playing that thing with the chao infinately walking in a straight line? lol.

Namco museum supposedly has a VMU pacman after you beat the game (I've been drooling for that for months).

After you beat the DC ver of QTA, it says "You may have won the battle, but the adventure isn't over. Let your VMU be your guide." Then you like solve a maze on your VMU.

Jet Grind Radio has this cool VMU minigame.

I think that no DC game was really complete without the VMU minigame. That was just something that I grew to love.

I love my VMUs.