Draw Muhammed Day

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Draw Muhammed Day

Post by eatcomics »

well you have to look at it two ways, on the one hand, the government is blocking our free speech (I really doubt very many poeple there are participating in this holiday), on the second hand, they are making it so their people can't see the stuff we're doing, which may, and probably does, really upset them <- the drawings that is

one of my beliefs is that nothing is as simple and one sided as this is wrong, and this is right (well maybe some things, like cold coffee is wrong, and hot coffee is right)
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Hell, free speech ftw, let them if they want to, but this is a stupid idea. What's the point?
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
Randi
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Randi »

@ gyrovorbis
What I was trying to convey to you is that although you have freedom of speech, you have to also try to get along with other people in the world, to draw Muhammad just to make a point doesn't make too much sense to me, draw Muhammad because you want to draw Muhammad, or don't draw Muhammad at all, or at least don't go around waving it in a mosque.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Randi wrote:@ gyrovorbis
What I was trying to convey to you is that although you have freedom of speech, you have to also try to get along with other people in the world, to draw Muhammad just to make a point doesn't make too much sense to me, draw Muhammad because you want to draw Muhammad, or don't draw Muhammad at all, or at least don't go around waving it in a mosque.
No we do not. We can choose who the fuck we want to get along with. If we don't want to get along with the muslim-extremists its our choice. We do not HAVE to try and get along with anybody, it is our choice who we want to get along with.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Randi
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Randi »

@short just because people are Islamic means that they are Muslim extremists?
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Either way I feel that the main point that everyone is trying to convey is the fact that we're all tired of being kicked around by religious extremists that simply like to block and censor ANYTHING that even REMOTELY doesn't agree nor share the same views as everyone else. NOTE: (I do NOT address EVERY Muslim as a terrorist, extremist, or anything of that sort. I am more than aware that statistically less than 1% of the Muslim religion is terrorist let alone shares any association with terrorism) I am merely addressing this towards those 1%. I think it's simply ridicules that anybody can insult any other group or religion or beliefs yet the instant you even say the damnedest thing about the religion of Islam everyone has to shit their drawers and flip like you just committed genocide. I mean who HASN'T South Park made fun of? They've ripped on Christians, Atheists, Jews, Scientologists, etc. Yet the mere depiction of Muhammad everybody goes off the deep end. No offense intended towards Islam but, they need to seriously grow the fuck up and learn to take a joke. Just because you share a belief doesn't give you the authority to enforce your belief on others. Also, if you don't like seeing your prophet insulted then simply be a matured individual and "change" the channel. Knowing the mere fact that they know that South Park episode means that the Muslims must've actually sat on their asses all day watching EVERY single episode to see that depiction which leads me to believe that they are okay if you rip on the other groups (Christians, Jews, Atheists, Scientologists alike) accept for that ONE instant (the only way they could've known of what South park did would be if they watched that show to begin with). Which only proves their hippocracy. We haven't heard a peep from them until South Park decided to air this episode. By us bending over and taking it up the asshole by allowing these needless censorships, cancellations, and silencing any outspoken individuals of shows and communities only proves that they feel they are the only people deserving of respect and higher moral than any other group. We need individuals who speak out against these lunatics who feel they can go around terrorizing anyone they please then go around and expect respect in return. If they want us to stop depicting them as primitive cavemen with little to no moral then they need to stop acting the way they do (quit blowing people up and shooting everyone and hijacking planes you asshole!). Simply blocking and censoring things won't solve anything. It will merely demonstrate their lack of acceptance and what little toleration they have of other people.

Again! (I am MORE than aware that very few Muslims act this way and I am addressing this towards the extremists)
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Well, as we do have a right to say whatever we want about anything without fear of persecution, I don't think it's something to wave around.

I mean do you guys HONESTLY think that this is about free speech? In my mind, it's mostly a bunch of people who think they have a hilarious depiction of Muhammed, and spurt out the 1st Amendment at any sign of opposition. That's all fine and dandy, but I think there needs to be a line drawn between what we can do, and what we should do.

I mean we all obviously have our own opinions on religion, and many other matters. Personally, I'm a Christian... That's just how I turned out through my life experiences, but I try to be respectful of other people's religions and/or points of view. I try to state my opinion as what it is, an opinion, and not a fact.

But with saying this, I now have to throw a lean into the other side and say that censorship is cruel. And there are people who's works are being censored because someone doesn't agree with it. I don't like the whole, "We can't do this because it will be offensive to this group" and "We need to make everyone feel like winners"... That's all a load of crap to me. In the real world, someone wins, and the other loses (well usually haha).

There's also the side to where these religious groups are trying to maintain power, and so they block anything that disagrees. That's just wrong. The people of these religious groups have entrusted these leaders to somewhat 'protect' them, but the leaders seem to do anything to keep the people in fear that "God will smite you", or something... I think the mass corrupt nature of many religious institutions really turns away much of the population. But then again, I know many of the people who aren't religious in any manner, have real ground breaking evidence through their life for what they believe.

But to end, I'm going to say this: Most of the responses I've seen, sound like simple rebellious teens. I keep seeing, "Eff them, we shouldn't concern ourselves with them" and "It's our right so they can eff off" and on and on and on... And really, it seems like the behavior of an asshole to be honest.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

XianForce wrote:Well, as we do have a right to say whatever we want about anything without fear of persecution, I don't think it's something to wave around.

I mean do you guys HONESTLY think that this is about free speech? In my mind, it's mostly a bunch of people who think they have a hilarious depiction of Muhammed, and spurt out the 1st Amendment at any sign of opposition. That's all fine and dandy, but I think there needs to be a line drawn between what we can do, and what we should do.

I mean we all obviously have our own opinions on religion, and many other matters. Personally, I'm a Christian... That's just how I turned out through my life experiences, but I try to be respectful of other people's religions and/or points of view. I try to state my opinion as what it is, an opinion, and not a fact.

But with saying this, I now have to throw a lean into the other side and say that censorship is cruel. And there are people who's works are being censored because someone doesn't agree with it. I don't like the whole, "We can't do this because it will be offensive to this group" and "We need to make everyone feel like winners"... That's all a load of crap to me. In the real world, someone wins, and the other loses (well usually haha).

There's also the side to where these religious groups are trying to maintain power, and so they block anything that disagrees. That's just wrong. The people of these religious groups have entrusted these leaders to somewhat 'protect' them, but the leaders seem to do anything to keep the people in fear that "God will smite you", or something... I think the mass corrupt nature of many religious institutions really turns away much of the population. But then again, I know many of the people who aren't religious in any manner, have real ground breaking evidence through their life for what they believe.

But to end, I'm going to say this: Most of the responses I've seen, sound like simple rebellious teens. I keep seeing, "Eff them, we shouldn't concern ourselves with them" and "It's our right so they can eff off" and on and on and on... And really, it seems like the behavior of an asshole to be honest.
To summarize: They can, but they shouldn't. Also, censorship is bad.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Ginto8 wrote: To summarize: They can, but they shouldn't. Also, censorship is bad.
Yeah, I think people will like your Reader's Digest version better haha
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

freedom.jpg
freedom.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
that is all.

also the worst thing about censorship is ###############
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
flump
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 3D engine for visualisation/games
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC,
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C, Fortran

Post by flump »

Randi wrote:@short just because people are Islamic means that they are Muslim extremists?
I think it's because of the extremists that everyone is banning depictions of Mohammed. It's a small minority of an otherwise typical religious group that gets the headlines and convinces the masses that their way is the correct way. Unfortunately, this leads us to more and more Muslims being to be portrayed in the extremist light.

For example; It's very common for Muslims to pour acid over a Woman's face when they refuse to marry them, I would consider this "extremist". No?
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by pritam »

I'll draw Muhammed anyday I fucking want, islam can go fuck itself.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

I see this as more of a human's rights than just freedoms. Do you believe it to be morally correct to wave the religious stick to squirm your way into politics spreading a wave of fear and instability in any government embodiment? Do you believe it's morally correct the several cruelties that are passed around on a daily basis just because some sickening depraved dessert prophet says in their sexually approsive beliefs?

here's but one of THOUSANDS of daily reported events going on in the middle East all in the name of their sickening religious extremisms. Nobody has the right to endure these things. It's not just the idealogy of freedom but human fucking decency. If they don't want us to constantly get onto their asses calling them the sickos that they are then they need to stop fucking doing this!
.cnn.com/2010/03/18/shaming-her-in-laws ... nose-ears/

The mere fact that these sickos can get away with this sort of cruel inhumane punishments disturbs me to the very core. I don't give a fuck what you believe but, if you go around doing these sorts of things THEN expecting us to respect your idealogies then you are one twisted sick puppy. I will NEVER respect these extremists in any way, shape, or form.

NOTE: (Addressed towards the lunatic cultist extremists)
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

eatcomics wrote:cold coffee is wrong, and hot coffee is right
I have actaully seen that you can buy ice-coffee ;)
Image ImageImage Image
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

ismetteren wrote:
eatcomics wrote:cold coffee is wrong, and hot coffee is right
I have actaully seen that you can buy ice-coffee ;)
I drink iced coffee like water
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com