Draw Muhammed Day

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Draw Muhammed Day

Post by Marx Chaotix »

Apparently shortly after South Park's depictions of Muhammad several people have decided to dedicate May the 20th towards drawing your own depiction of the Islamic faith's Muhammed. Naturaly as we literally speak there are thousands of people throughout the middle East who are holding violent outspoken protests. Also, FaceBook groups were erected towards the idea of drawing their prophet and FaceBook is going to be temporarily banned in several middle Eastern countries. (Particularly Pakistan which recently had a court order to temporarily shut down FaceBook until they can think of a way of blocking explicit images posted of their prophet)

Links;

http://www.drawmuhammadday.com

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =126976755

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washing ... rsial.html

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Re: Draw Muhammed Day

Post by short »

I love it. It's time the world stops letting religion get in the way of free speech. I'm not gonna argue this, its the way I feel. I've learned enough in my ejukation to come to this conclusion.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

short wrote:I love it. It's time the world stops letting religion get in the way of free speech. I'm not gonna argue this, its the way I feel. I've learned enough in my ejukation to come to this conclusion.
I couldn't possibly agree with you any more than I do now. I think it's ridicules and the people from South Park are EXTREMELY pissed at Comedy Central for removing that episode off their channel.
Randi
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Randi »

I think free speech is very important to the world, but would you go around disrespecting a religion? It's pretty much the same thing as running up to a catholic priest and calling Jesus a zombie, you just don't do it out of respect for the religion and people's culture.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

While I am not associated with any organized religion I still view this as being a bit disrespectful. I definitely enjoyed that South Park episode but feel in many ways that South Park displays a truly tasteful satire on many subjects (despite how crude it may sometimes seem). Would there be just as much uproar if someone tried to start a 'Draw Jesus riding Riding a Velociraptor Day'? Can't say for sure... But the Islamic culture is very different from what we're used to in the western world and I would probably vote against this whole Draw Muhammed shenanigans.
I think free speech is very important to the world
Couldn't agree more. But we always have to hope that people just have the sense to speak the right things.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Post by short »

Randi wrote:I think free speech is very important to the world, but would you go around disrespecting a religion? It's pretty much the same thing as running up to a catholic priest and calling Jesus a zombie, you just don't do it out of respect for the religion and people's culture.
I might, but I guess I'm kind of a sadistic bastard when it comes to this. I try not to be overly arrogant with the fact that I believe all religion is a hindrance on the world (if you study history at all you know what I am referring too) but sometimes I feel people are just happy being stuck in their views. Hopefully in a few hundred years people will be moving away from it.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by xiphirx »

I feel its a bit too disrespectful.

But you wouldn't expect anything else from south park.
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
Busy_V
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Busy_V »

In my opinion, people are drawing too much attention to this -- but I can see why many of you feel threatened by this. You all have had the right to speak freely about everything ever since you were born and if something comes along and tries to take this from you, then I can clearly see why you all become so angry about this whole situation. But, as we all know, Muslim people can get offended very easily and in my opinion, it would be a lot more better to just shut the fuck up about this whole thing and try not to make such a big deal out of it before a terrorist nuclear attack on a major city happens somewhere around the world.
RyanPridgeon wrote:If you wanna go there, you go for it man. Nobody is stopping you so just work hard and achieve your goals.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Randi wrote:I think free speech is very important to the world, but would you go around disrespecting a religion? It's pretty much the same thing as running up to a catholic priest and calling Jesus a zombie, you just don't do it out of respect for the religion and people's culture.
Sure, but you have ever RIGHT to do it. It's not a matter of respect. We have a right to do whatever the fuck we want without having to worry about being persecuted.

The second amendment that grants all of these religious fanatics freedom of religion is the very same amendment that grants me the right to say whatever the fuck I want about it.

If the Muslim faith wants to stop being depicted as a third world, cow-worshipping, terrorist-breeding cult, then they should stop bitching when they receive the same criticism that other religions receive. It only further reinforces the fact that the faith oppresses the people.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:The second amendment that grants all of these religious fanatics freedom of religion is the very same amendment that grants me the right to say whatever the fuck I want about it.
First amendment, actually. Second is the right to bear arms, which is being impeded upon just as much. And I can't agree more with your points. If people want to draw muhammed in offensive ways, let them!
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Lol the first link in your post no longer exits :P

But yes, it is disrespectful, and I believe that the government can block it if they wish, I think if some other country started poking at jesus people would be very mad, and try and stop it if the government didn't step in anyway...
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Ginto8 wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:The second amendment that grants all of these religious fanatics freedom of religion is the very same amendment that grants me the right to say whatever the fuck I want about it.
First amendment, actually.
FUCK! I haven't had a Social Studies course since high school... :oops:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

eatcomics wrote:Lol the first link in your post no longer exits :P

But yes, it is disrespectful, and I believe that the government can block it if they wish, I think if some other country started poking at jesus people would be very mad, and try and stop it if the government didn't step in anyway...
And you have no problem with that? You think that a government should be able to "block" anything that a particular special interest group deems "disrespectful"? Our founding fathers would want to hurt you...
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Different culture different laws, there isn't anything I should be able to do about it, while yes I believe in free speech, but really I think the government blocking it is good, think about how this is making us look to them, we already look like tyrants and the bad guys, and this is not going to help
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

eatcomics wrote:Different culture different laws, there isn't anything I should be able to do about it, while yes I believe in free speech, but really I think the government blocking it is good, think about how this is making us look to them, we already look like tyrants and the bad guys, and this is not going to help
Yes, revoking the first amendment and censoring our people like communist China and Islamic Iraq will definitely make us look better than they are. :roll: