Voyager 2 stops making sense

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Voyager 2 stops making sense

Post by Falco Girgis »

Very interesting. I was scared when I first heard that it stopped working--I'm a voyager fanboy. I think we should keep them active until they can't trasmit a single bit back to us...

But uh.... the alien shit? So if I accidentally flipped a bit in a buffer that qualifies as an "alien transmission"? My code has been jacked by aliens multiple times then.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

GyroVorbis wrote:But uh.... the alien shit? So if I accidentally flipped a bit in a buffer that qualifies as an "alien transmission"? My code has been jacked by aliens multiple times then.
Well, Falco.. Time for agents Mulder and Scully to pay you a visit :P

But seriously, I Agree.
Not that I don't believe in intelligent life forms somewhere out there, it's just that it doesn't add up in this case.

They would either take the whole band and send back something meaningful, like a message that they know where we are, and we're fu**ed, or just wreck that flying heap of metal and make fancy alien stuff out of it.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

cypher1554R wrote:They would either take the whole band and send back something meaningful, like a message that they know where we are, and we're fu**ed, or just wreck that flying heap of metal and make fancy alien stuff out of it.
Haha!! I'm sorry I just loved that last part of your statement. :lol: But, I do understand and see your logic behind it. And with that believing or not believing in extraterrestrial life. I believe in their existance but don't think we'll be discovering any any time soon or at least none that are considered "intelligent" life-forms. I think we'll first discover primitive alian bacteria cells or something of that nature first before taking the big leap of finding something phenominal like seeing martians in UFO's or any of that sort.

Incidently, have any of you heard of the ALH 84001 incident? Apparently scientists claim to have discovered what they believe "might" be fossilized bacteria imbedded within an asteroid that collided into earth 13,000 years ago.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi/meteorites/life.html

Image of the possible fossilized bacteria. (Close up of the rock of course)

Meh, sorry for straying off topic there I just thought this one was also interesting. It happened a few years ago, so I'm sure you're all already familiar with this incident. Still pretty remarkable.
mary
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mary »

McKay and co-workers found no evidence of bacteria in other meteorites from the same area where ALH 84001 was discovered, so they conclude that the bacteria-shaped structures in ALH 84001 are not Earth bacteria.

It remains possible that the bacteria shapes are Earth bacteria. Although McKay and colleagues found no bacteria shapes in three other Antarctic meteorites, they caution us that these other meteorites are not exactly like ALH 84001. Particularly, the other meteorites did not contain carbonate mineral grains. If it happened that a kind of Earth bacteria lived only on carbonate minerals, it could grow in ALH 84001 and not in the other meteorites.
This is from the article about the bacteria, this paragraph basically says that they searched meteorites to see if the bacteria is from earth, why would they be looking at stuff that comes from outer space to see if its from earth, and the idea that they only found carbonate mineral grains on that meteorite, I wonder if they have found it on any other in any part of the world. It will be interesting if they can prove that it really is evidence of life from outer space though. I hope they find something in my lifetime.
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

mary wrote:
McKay and co-workers found no evidence of bacteria in other meteorites from the same area where ALH 84001 was discovered, so they conclude that the bacteria-shaped structures in ALH 84001 are not Earth bacteria.

It remains possible that the bacteria shapes are Earth bacteria. Although McKay and colleagues found no bacteria shapes in three other Antarctic meteorites, they caution us that these other meteorites are not exactly like ALH 84001. Particularly, the other meteorites did not contain carbonate mineral grains. If it happened that a kind of Earth bacteria lived only on carbonate minerals, it could grow in ALH 84001 and not in the other meteorites.
This is from the article about the bacteria, this paragraph basically says that they searched meteorites to see if the bacteria is from earth, why would they be looking at stuff that comes from outer space to see if its from earth, and the idea that they only found carbonate mineral grains on that meteorite, I wonder if they have found it on any other in any part of the world. It will be interesting if they can prove that it really is evidence of life from outer space though. I hope they find something in my lifetime.

Just a guess but as we all know the way in which the Martian asteroid could've made it to Earth would be if "another" asteroid collided into Mars and the debris chipped off a chunk of the Martian terrain sending it into space. And I guess the reason they'd do that would be because some of them think that same scenario could've happened to this asteroid and the fossilized bacteria could've simply been contamination and not from Mars.