Interesting Article:

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Interesting Article:

Post by Arce »

<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Interesting Article:

Post by eatcomics »

hm, I already knew we were in a completely uncreative age... That's why you haven't heard any good music on the radio in 4 years
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

I'd be willing to say that a lot of people are afraid to let go of their previous memories and fantasies that they experienced when playing those games (just like their childhood). They're "comfortable" accepting those past realities that they never stopped to question as they grew older - and a slightly grander, "more epic", version of something which really hasn't grown on the inside is just the panacea to stop their new reality from creeping up to the surface. It's like the counter to that feeling you get when trying to force-ably relive an old memory, and it just doesn't feel quite the same as it did then when it was full of wonder and awe - so you add a coat of gloss on top and say "see, it's just as good and the formula hasn't changed (or forced me to change)".
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

This article has points, but I don't exactly agree with it either.
eatcomics wrote:hm, I already knew we were in a completely uncreative age... That's why you haven't heard any good music on the radio in 4 years
Stuff which people know and like sells more then unknown stuff, and that's generally garunteed. It's as simple as that, and is the case with *anything* mainstream, TV, Radio, Gaming, you name it. It's better for corporations to sell the same stuff as long as people buy it, as it costs less, there's less risk, and it still sells. This won't be changing anytime soon, sadly.

Still, I wouldn't call our age uncreative. If anything, I'd say we're pretty dam creative. To get unique stuff these days you have to go underground/indie with Indie games, non-mainstream music, etc. It's easier then ever to make such stuff, and with the internet, it's so much easier to share our creations. GMod, Audiosurf, World of Goo are completely original or evolved from an idea taken from somewhere else. Only one-two people worked on each project, and look how popular they've become.

When given the tools to create, people will create. Just look at all the GMOD videos for instance, it's insane how much you can do with it once you get around to modding the game. People upload these creations in GMOD to youtube, other people see them, and make more creations based of it. This obviously don't just apply to GMOD, there are plenty of other cases, like Flash and Game Maker. It's a simple tool so you see a lot of different ideas popping up on the Game Maker Forums. If anything, i'm thinking of going back there just to keep an eye on the games that pop up, there's always something new.

I'd say we're at a creative age right now, possibly one of the highest in the planet's history thanks to the internet and how easy so many of today's tools are. You just have to know where to look.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Yeah, I was more just bashing the damn radio stations who can't play anything good
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

eatcomics wrote:Yeah, I was more just bashing the damn radio stations who can't play anything good
I agree with you there. I hate all the crap pop music they play all the time.
I'll make your software hardware.