Anyone on Go?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Anyone on Go?

Post by thbp »

Anyone try google's Go yet???? and if so did you like it??? i'm just curious cause i just was reading up on some computer articles and they praised it
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Anyone on Go?

Post by LeonBlade »

Maybe if I knew what you were talking about, I would respond with my opinions on it.
Mind showing a link or something? I've never seen anything on what you're talking about.
There's no place like ~/
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

http://golang.org/

Go is Google's programming language. I know little to nothing about it.

EDIT:

http://golang.org/doc/go_lang_faq.html

A really great FAQ about the language. The documentation seems really great.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

I have tried to write a few very simple programs in it, but not enough to judge it.

I do however think alot of the features and concepts behind it sound very cool.
Image ImageImage Image
Marx Chaotix
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Marx Chaotix »

This is just another of those little side languages made by the big corporate jocks. I'd just stick with C++ or C or something. I dunno. *sigh* We're all better off with just one universal language in my opinion. Instead of questioning it's usefulness why not just try it out yourself and see if you like it? Everyone has his/her own views on everything. Some like it and others don't.
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

Marx Chaotix wrote:This is just another of those little side languages made by the big corporate jocks. I'd just stick with C++ or C or something. I dunno. *sigh* We're all better off with just one universal language in my opinion. Instead of questioning it's usefulness why not just try it out yourself and see if you like it? Everyone has his/her own views on everything. Some like it and others don't.
This might be a stupid question, but is there a popular compiled language with modern features like garbage collection out there? Maybe Go can fill this role, if such a language even is needed...?

And i still think that for example the way Go handles interfaces is really cool.
Image ImageImage Image
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Why are there braces but no semicolons? And why can't I put the opening brace on the next line?
Fuck that shit, I hate being constricted with my programming style... I mean I understand that Python does that stuff among other languages, but I'll make an exception because I wont be writing large applications with Python (no offense).

But if they want me to write huge applications with it, I need to be able to be free with my way of structure.
But, hey, that's just me.

It looks interesting, however, I don't think I'll ever use it.
I don't like how you declare variables among other things, I took a look at it for a few seconds and was turned off pretty much right away.
The compile time speed is great, but that isn't enough to get me.
There's no place like ~/
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

LeonBlade wrote:
Why are there braces but no semicolons? And why can't I put the opening brace on the next line?
Fuck that shit, I hate being constricted with my programming style... I mean I understand that Python does that stuff among other languages, but I'll make an exception because I wont be writing large applications with Python (no offense).

But if they want me to write huge applications with it, I need to be able to be free with my way of structure.

I don't like how you declare variables among other things, I took a look at it for a few seconds and was turned off pretty much right away.
Hmm.. all the things you just listed as bad, sounds like some pretty nice features to me...
Image ImageImage Image
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

ismetteren wrote:
LeonBlade wrote:

Hmm.. all the things you just listed as bad, sounds like some pretty nice features to me...
Hahaha :)
Being constricted isn't a good thing to me... >.>
There's no place like ~/
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

I've jingled in it a bit, i found it neat, has alot of really cool standard libs, its compilation time is next to none, its faster the shit smeared lightning.
it be pretty sweet if you could easily use it as a scripting language on top of C/++, also its concurrency is great, you can leverage multi core machines without doing it explicitly.

It wont replace C for me, i used to use REXX as my quick and dirty lang, but Go has replaced that, I do hate the restrictions on how syntax can be written, but thats a small thing i'll live with.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

Personally, I think that they are just trying to be different in the way that they do things rather than having an easier way of doing thing.
I'll make your software hardware.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

It looks awesome. I'm not going to just go out and start using it like I did with D (I learned my lesson :lol: ), but once I get something significant done, I'll definitely try it out. I think I could pretty easily adapt to its style and, once I do, make some pretty cool stuff with it (I especially like the built-in concurrency).
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I might check this out, I've been wanting a nice down-and-dirty side langauge :D good topic
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I find it very interesting that Go is statically compiled. I would have figured Google would have jumped on the JIT runtime bandwagon. Very interesting indeed. It does sound to be a lot like what D was supposed to be.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I was watching the google tech talk on it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s , and I think I'm going to try it out sometime.

I advise anyone interested to watch that. As Ginto said, its the thing that made him decide to try it