Apple are being even bigger dicks now

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

vargonian
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Apple are being even bigger dicks now

Post by vargonian »

Yeah, if they keep this up, they're really going to screw themselves when something better comes along. Ordinarily, they might be able to rely on brand loyalty to retain a lot of developers even if something slightly better comes along, but at this point I gleefully welcome something better. I am actually rooting for Windows Phone 7 of all things, because at least I know they will coddle developers.

Unity3D and MonoTouch are huge on the iPhone, with huge investments in time and money behind them, and now it seems it's all for nothing. This isn't just going to affect Flash.

And OpenFeint is a very successful online leaderboard/achievements/social gaming service (and there are others, I can't recall the names though), which is getting a similar kick in the crotch from Apple. I can understand this one more, since I actually welcome a unified service of this type, but I still feel sympathy for OF.
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

Although I can't be 100% certain I have it on a reliable source Unity developers wont be affected by this (Aside from the initial fearful shock that they will be).
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

zeid wrote:Although I can't be 100% certain I have it on a reliable source Unity developers wont be affected by this (Aside from the initial fearful shock that they will be).
Which is bullshit. Unity is a 3rd party developer just like everybody else, yet the developer agreement doesn't apply to them just because they're on Apple's "good list."
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

While I can see why apple did what they did to adobe after the whole photoshop thing I still think its kind of shitty. The worst thing though is killing off the rest of the support (well most of it) I can seriously see this biting apple in the ass down the line as more and more competitors come out and all the developers apple fucked over can screw them back.
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gridbug
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

GyroVorbis wrote:
zeid wrote:Although I can't be 100% certain I have it on a reliable source Unity developers wont be affected by this (Aside from the initial fearful shock that they will be).
Which is bullshit. Unity is a 3rd party developer just like everybody else, yet the developer agreement doesn't apply to them just because they're on Apple's "good list."
"good list" because of it's performance, right? When you cross-compile Java code into Obj-C code doen't it take a performance hit because it has to emulate the java vm? With Unity aren't the scripts compiled down to assembler code which makes the app run faster? Am I wrong on this?
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by M_D_K »

Unity will def get screwed since it's written in C# and uses monoTouch to run.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Cunts, the lot of them. Steve Jobs can suck my dick
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

The worst thing though is killing off the rest of the support (well most of it) I can seriously see this biting apple in the ass down the line as more and more competitors come out and all the developers apple fucked over can screw them back.
Well I would say the opposite, here's my view of the most likely reason apple is doing this. They don't want apps being cross platform ;)

This is likely the way of keeping the iPhone as the one and only. The iPhone is currently the top selling smart phone device, it has the largest audience and therefore the largest market to develop apps for. If you make it so that you have to choose between making an app for iPhone or Android the smart choice is the iPhone (from large game distributers perspectives that can turn a sizable profit by simply releasing a remake).

Effectively you are keeping the iPhone at the top by ensuring it's quality is better then the other platforms. The competitors quickly become 'cheap knockoffs' with half the content and none of the big titles.

That said, is what they are doing progressive, well it's probably counter progressive. Is it smart business, yes. Is it ethical... that's questionable.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

zeid wrote:
The worst thing though is killing off the rest of the support (well most of it) I can seriously see this biting apple in the ass down the line as more and more competitors come out and all the developers apple fucked over can screw them back.
Well I would say the opposite, here's my view of the most likely reason apple is doing this. They don't want apps being cross platform ;)

This is likely the way of keeping the iPhone as the one and only. The iPhone is currently the top selling smart phone device, it has the largest audience and therefore the largest market to develop apps for. If you make it so that you have to choose between making an app for iPhone or Android the smart choice is the iPhone (from large game distributers perspectives that can turn a sizable profit by simply releasing a remake).

Effectively you are keeping the iPhone at the top by ensuring it's quality is better then the other platforms. The competitors quickly become 'cheap knockoffs' with half the content and none of the big titles.

That said, is what they are doing progressive, well it's probably counter progressive. Is it smart business, yes. Is it ethical... that's questionable.
Sounds like monopolizing...
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

It's because Steve Jobs hates your freedom.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Fixed:
It's because Steve Jobs hates your freedom. wants to become YOUR god.

Much like this:
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: Steve Jobs.

5 souls were sacrificed/harmed/mutilated while making this post.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

Innerscope wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
"good list" because of it's performance, right? When you cross-compile Java code into Obj-C code doen't it take a performance hit because it has to emulate the java vm? With Unity aren't the scripts compiled down to assembler code which makes the app run faster? Am I wrong on this?
Not quite how it works.

Java code doesn't get compiled into ObjC. The Java VM is written in ObjectiveC/C/C++ which is JIT compiling the bytecode at runtime. This is actually exactly how scripts in Unity work, except they are JIT compiled by the Mono/.NET runtime rather than Java.
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Innerscope wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
Not quite how it works.

Java code doesn't get compiled into ObjC. The Java VM is written in ObjectiveC/C/C++ which is JIT compiling the bytecode at runtime. This is actually exactly how scripts in Unity work, except they are JIT compiled by the Mono/.NET runtime rather than Java.
Oh ok, I see. I wasn't trying to suggest that Java code gets compiled down to Obj-C, this was an error on my part though. I was basing this off of something I had heard about called XMLVM. If it's not a performance issue, then the folks at Unity must have some sort of contract with Apple.
Live-Dimension wrote:It's because Steve Jobs hates your freedom. wants to become YOUR god.
:bow: All hail Jobs, lord and savior. :lol:
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me