10 year project destroyed by Activision

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

10 year project destroyed by Activision

Post by Live-Dimension »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03 ... Shotgun%29

This is probably one of the sadder things i've read recently. Pretty much a group of people worked 10 years on a fan made game. When they started it was with Vivendi aka Sierra. They did receive a Cease & Desist letter but alot of fans complained and they eventually let the game continue. Come now, Activision owns the IP and pretty much sent another C&D letter, this time to destroy everything - even the forums. 10 years gone just like that. *sigh*
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: 10 year project destroyed by Activision

Post by Falco Girgis »

This shit morally enrages me and saddens me at the same time. There is really no reason for this kind of bullshit, unless a company is worried that the "spinoff" is going to be better than anything the company could make. But even then, that's called being pathetic.
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

GyroVorbis wrote:This shit morally enrages me and saddens me at the same time. There is really no reason for this kind of bullshit, unless a company is worried that the "spinoff" is going to be better than anything the company could make. But even then, that's called being pathetic.
I agree.
Plus, the game looked pretty awesome. I would've played it. Now I can't.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Milch »

I've read it on Gamasutra, really sad story.
Never thought that Activision would do something like that =/
Follow me on twitter!
TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

You know you have a problem when your fans are serving your fans more effectively than you can. It amazes me the audacity of these companies to refuse to make certain games/sequels but then get mad when others do it for you. Send 'em a paycheck, license the sales, and make it a win/win. Don't make fans hate you!
flump
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: 3D engine for visualisation/games
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC,
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C, Fortran

Post by flump »

The bigger the company, the less they care. I'm sure that if the group of people who actually made the original game, the true fathers/mothers of the IP, knew about this game, (which I'm pretty positive they must of done), they wouldn't of minded it at all. I can't actually think of anything more flattering than fan made fluff over something you've made, be it artwork made in paint, or an entire spin off game.

From what I read splattered on all the news sites, It's always the publishers that sue.

I think Valve are only so 'cool' in the gaming industry because they're in the extremely unique position where they are both game developer and the publisher (via steam); but most importantly, a developer first.

I'm sure Gyro would get hours of endless fun if people made cartoon parodies of ES' game and stuck them up on youtube. But I'm sure a publisher would see that as 'defamation' and it would be hurting what they're most interested in; sales.

p.s. hello everyone.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Activision also pulled another d-bag move yesterday when they showed up at Infinity Ward Studios (which they own) and sacked the two heads of the studios. These are the same guys that fought Activision as hard as they could to allow them to produce Modern Warfare which Activision was very against (look what happened there, lulz). Not too many details are out yet but as it stands they were removed from their positions for 'insubordination'.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

hurstshifter wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Activision also pulled another d-bag move yesterday when they showed up at Infinity Ward Studios (which they own) and sacked the two heads of the studios. These are the same guys that fought Activision as hard as they could to allow them to produce Modern Warfare which Activision was very against (look what happened there, lulz). Not too many details are out yet but as it stands they were removed from their positions for 'insubordination'.
I never liked activision but this kind of thing is just ridiculous. I'm thinkin that they were oppossed to the idea of making modern warfare 3 online subscription based, which activision have been pushing for. Guess thats what happens when you try to do right by the fans...
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup