Linux

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Linux

Post by K-Bal »

smithdwsn wrote:Linux is a very effective and reliable operating system. It is open source os. It provides features and functionalities. The most important thing about security. It is very secure operating system rather than other. It is easy to use and installation. No high configuration required for that.
Bot alert.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

K-Bal wrote:
smithdwsn wrote:Linux is a very effective and reliable operating system. It is open source os. It provides features and functionalities. The most important thing about security. It is very secure operating system rather than other. It is easy to use and installation. No high configuration required for that.
Bot alert.
a bot advertising linux? that's new.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Ginto8 wrote:
K-Bal wrote:
Bot alert.
a bot advertising linux? that's new.
That's what I said. He does seem very.. commercial like in everything he's posted. But it's almost like he's just bored and having fun rather actually being a bot.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

ITS SELF AWARE!
Thomas_Bates
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Project CERBERUS (linux only)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Thomas_Bates »

eatcomics wrote:Thanks avan, I will definitely look into that :D

Eat, I know you in RL, so I know how inexperienced you are in Linux.

The OS he suggested is based off of Gentoo, which you must compile, I'm unaware if you must compile this one or not, but I don't think you could handle it, as you've never even gotten used to a simple terminal task. I would suggest looking for a pre-compiled version of Gentoo, or something based off of it. I'll test out this one for you in VirtualBox.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 just to see how it has been improved, I'm about to switch to a Gentoo distro myself.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

sabayon is pre compiled, and even at that, gentoo is not that hard.
sabayon uses its own package manager with binary packages, but you can use gentoos if you want.

and wow.. little much on those sig whatever the fucks....
linux ubuntu user... wow.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Thomas_Bates
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Thomas_Bates »

The Sabayon Live disk I have must be compiled.

Ubuntu isn't the only Linux OS I use, I use Gentoo, and Arch also. What do you have against Ubuntu?
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Thomas_Bates wrote:What do you have against Ubuntu?
Well first and foremost, any real linux user (read: knows what he/she is doing) would realize from the start: Ubuntu forces you to use a GUI - not just any gui, but the pre-specified guis like xfce, KDE, and GNOME. Not because it's the default option, but because a number of bash utilities are limited. If you tried to use awesome wm, you would fail miserably because configuring wifi via bash just doesn't work. If you want the flexibility of Debian, get Debian, and don't settle for this watered-down excuse.
Secondly, it has the same problem as windows when it comes to its GUI: flashiness over function. xfce isn't as bad, but that's the only option for a less flashy interface. As I said before, awesome won't work right.
I can't remember what my third point was gonna be, but I think I made my point.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Thank you guys for laying into thomas :P I already told him it came precompiled on skype... IDK why he posted here we talked about it on skype before this was here... dumbass

also he said he never got gentoo running, IDK why he said he uses it >.<

And never gotten used to a simple terminal task? WTF do you think I did, boot it up and stare at it? I've used DSL and some other distros, I'm not a total noob
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

I have nothing against ubuntu, i actually think its a decent distro.

but you just had more what ever the fuck user what ever the fuck's. Then you had one that said linux ubuntu user...
as apposed to what?? windows ubuntu user?
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

Ginto8 wrote:
Well first and foremost, any real linux user (read: knows what he/she is doing) would realize from the start: Ubuntu forces you to use a GUI - not just any gui, but the pre-specified guis like xfce, KDE, and GNOME. Not because it's the default option, but because a number of bash utilities are limited. If you tried to use awesome wm, you would fail miserably because configuring wifi via bash just doesn't work. If you want the flexibility of Debian, get Debian, and don't settle for this watered-down excuse.
Secondly, it has the same problem as windows when it comes to its GUI: flashiness over function. xfce isn't as bad, but that's the only option for a less flashy interface. As I said before, awesome won't work right.
Slow your roll there bro... You can bash some shit about it not being as open as raw Debian is but saying it's a watered-down excuse is over exaggerating.

So what I can't pick my own GUI... I personally prefer GNOME to any other GUI I've seen anyway, so why should I care?!
Granted, yes, others will want their own GUI, but that's not the point here.
And I don't think I've ever really ran into a problem ever with having "limited bash utilities" what so ever.
And I don't get your reference to flash GUI shit with windows...
There's no place like ~/
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

LeonBlade wrote:
Ginto8 wrote:
Slow your roll there bro... You can bash some shit about it not being as open as raw Debian is but saying it's a watered-down excuse is over exaggerating.

So what I can't pick my own GUI... I personally prefer GNOME to any other GUI I've seen anyway, so why should I care?!
Granted, yes, others will want their own GUI, but that's not the point here.
And I don't think I've ever really ran into a problem ever with having "limited bash utilities" what so ever.
And I don't get your reference to flash GUI shit with windows...
you can put any windows manager pretty mich on ubuntu. i recommend awesomewm.
Thomas_Bates
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Thomas_Bates »

eatcomics wrote:Thank you guys for laying into thomas :P I already told him it came precompiled on skype... IDK why he posted here we talked about it on skype before this was here... dumbass

also he said he never got gentoo running, IDK why he said he uses it >.<

And never gotten used to a simple terminal task? WTF do you think I did, boot it up and stare at it? I've used DSL and some other distros, I'm not a total noob
I have Gentoo running, in our skype convo I misunderstood and thought you were talking about Sabayon, which I hadn't used until this morning. The Sabayon Disk I have, you have to compile it.

The way you talk to me about Linux is that you've never used anything but Puppy, and the way you spoke at about it, you said you could never get it to work decently with the computer you had put it on (something about the wifi card, maybe that was the Ubuntu attempt, not sure.). Then again, we've never had a hard core talk about our own personal linux adventures, so yes, I was wrong to say that without gaining more knowledge first.
avansc wrote:I have nothing against ubuntu, i actually think its a decent distro.

but you just had more what ever the fuck user what ever the fuck's. Then you had one that said linux ubuntu user...
as apposed to what?? windows ubuntu user?
lol,
I misunderstood you there, I thought you meant you didn't like Ubuntu. I'll remove some of those Userbars, sorry about that.

I like Ubuntu, and I generally use it for anything but hard core programming projects I work on. I've got gentoo set up for things like that.

Also, sorry I "assaulted" one of the "senior members" I know Eric in real life and don't see him in his internet persona, and I see him more like Eric Programming Junkie, who I generally speak to in sarcasm and jokes, which is just the way we talk to each other. Sadly, Sarcasm doesn't translate well into text.

<sarcasm> </sarcasm> anyone?

As a side-note:
I've got Gentoo running mainly in a crappy machine from 1996 (Garage sale) which I don't use often, but I want to convert the machine to a local server, and put Gentoo on my netbook. Does anyone have gentoo running on a netbook, and if so, does it work as well as it does on anything else? I only use my netbook for programming the way it is, so I won't need an obtuse amount of memory, all it will have on it is the sciTE Text Editor, everything else I can handle with a terminal.
dejai
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by dejai »

I run Linux I enjoy it but I also have windows and mac and I enjoy those operating systems as well. The best thing about Linux is package management and costing nothing. :) OS wars are silly.