Linux

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Linux

Post by dandymcgee »

Ginto8 wrote:
davidthefat wrote:What I do not like about ubuntu is it's memory hoggage, I got a 6-7 year old comp and it has like 700 mb of ram... Cant run more than 2 applications at a time... May be I just got the settings wrong
Well, ubuntu isn't a very high-performance variety of linux. For example, puppy linux is actually really good for low-RAM computers.
Yeah puppy is awesome. I installed Puppy over winter break for a friend whose computer was running Win2K and couldn't handle it.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

davidthefat wrote:What I do not like about ubuntu is it's memory hoggage, I got a 6-7 year old comp and it has like 700 mb of ram... Cant run more than 2 applications at a time... May be I just got the settings wrong
i dono it runs fine for me, i have it on a 4/5 year old laptop that had alot of trouble running vista so i put ubuntu on it and now it runs as well as any computer ive ever had. Quick boot, great battery life, drastically improved performance, etc. in short in pretty damn happy with the results :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
kamokow
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by kamokow »

I like Linux as well. My primary os is Ubuntu 9.10 right now *waits for the flames,* because it was the first Linux distro I used, and so I just kinda got used to it... Ive tried other Linux distros, but right now my distro of choice is Ubuntu. :)
ismetteren wrote:I am a linux user too(Ubuntu). The only thing bugging me alittle is the directory structure, some apps seem to need to have all the files in ONE folder(that would be including my apps, since i have no idea about how the files should be scattered around the system) and those programs has to be installed in unlogical places, like the home folder.
It also seem like the structure is optimized for having a server, and a lot of terminals, instead of just one computer.

But thats my only complaint, and maybe i will begin to appreciate this structure, when i get the logical reasoning behind it(wich is assume exists). Other than that Ubunte totally rocks!
Personally, I prefer the Linux directory structure to the Windows directory structure. It takes a bit of time to get used to using it though.
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: DC, Atari 2600, GC
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by ZachO »

Gots a question, Do any of you know where I can send an old laptop to be repaired and refurbished(2004 laptop)

Peace Out,
ZachO
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

Not really but you'll probably find that by the time you ship it and the person fixes it it will cost more then to simply buy either a second hand or a somewhat ok one brand new. And it'd probably run better then a laptop from 2004.

That's even if you can get parts for it these days. That plus labour will be by far the main costs and it wont be cheap.
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by ZachO »

No, No, No, you mis understood me, I just got a brand new laptop and I no longer want my old one so I'm going to giving it to a family member or sell It. The problem is the keyboard is well........Out of repair.
PS: It Is actually a 07' comp it just seems older

Peace Out,
ZachO
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by ZachO »

Sorry for the necro post and not posting in a while but I wanted to throw out that anyone thinking of ubuntu 10.04 YOU SHOULD GET IT its pretty much 9.10 but with updated graphics the sound output is a lot better than 9.10 also the interface looks so much better than the previous one
Busy_V
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Busy_V »

ZachO wrote:Sorry for the necro post and not posting in a while but I wanted to throw out that anyone thinking of ubuntu 10.04 YOU SHOULD GET IT its pretty much 9.10 but with updated graphics the sound output is a lot better than 9.10 also the interface looks so much better than the previous one
Yeah, I updated my Ubuntu 9.04 desktop and so far I'm pretty impressed. All the bugs and problems that I had when I tried Karmic Koala (It didn't worked for me btw) seem to be gone. The Facebook/Twitter/etc. integration is superb. I can literally post messages on my Facebook page just by using Ubuntu's Social Menu (I think it's called like that) on the panel. ;)

Another thing that I have noticed was that there are now 4 workspaces available by default (but you can still change the number of workspace at any time) and one of the most commonly used method of switching between different workspaces for me by scrolling up and down with my mouse is now gone. I guess a lot of people thought about it as a really inappropriate method of switching workspace, because a lot of times, I just accidentally scrolled up/down the scroll button on my mouse... overall, it was just too easy to switch between workspaces. In Ubuntu 10.04, you can switch between different workspaces just by clicking on the right box (workspace) in the bottom-right corner of the screen (or wherever you put the workspace changing panel element). Another thing that Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx comes with is a new and upgraded Rythmbox music player, which integrates with Ubuntu Music Store. Ubuntu 10.04 also comes with a new version of GNOME desktop (2.30). :bow:

It's also worth to note that unlike Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx hasn't crashed so far and I'm pretty confident and sure that it never will.

The only thing that I found bad about Ubuntu 10.04 is that the boot sound sounds rather blocky.

Overall, I think that Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is a great and an important milestone for Ubuntu and the Linux itself. Go get it! ;)
:worship:
RyanPridgeon wrote:If you wanna go there, you go for it man. Nobody is stopping you so just work hard and achieve your goals.
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by ZachO »

yea im glad because to get sound to work on 9.10 you have to spend a little while in the terminal (at least my install) so I'm glad it fixed so many of the bugs
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Yeah my friend just got it, he says its awesome... I can't for the life of me to get wireless to work on my old lappy with Ubuntu, so I might update, I might not
Busy_V
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Busy_V »

Oh yes, have I told you how super pissed off I am now after finding out that the Zoom In and Zoom Out (by assigning a key combination) is disabled? Seriously, this is probably like the most annoying thing on 10.04. :cry:
RyanPridgeon wrote:If you wanna go there, you go for it man. Nobody is stopping you so just work hard and achieve your goals.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

hijack,

Look into a linux distribution called "Sabayon", its based of the ever solid Gentoo.
This distribution has worked out the box on every system i have installed it, including my macbook( this might not sound like a feat, but trust me, it is).

Anyways, thought id just share.

</sales_pitch>
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Thanks avan, I will definitely look into that :D
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

I just installed Linux Mint last night. I tried Ubuntu a year or so ago and liked it a lot, but I tried Ubuntu 10 and it looks like shit. Mint comes with a huge array of useful desktop applications.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
smithdwsn
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by smithdwsn »

Linux is a very effective and reliable operating system. It is open source os. It provides features and functionalities. The most important thing about security. It is very secure operating system rather than other. It is easy to use and installation. No high configuration required for that.