Windows 7

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Windows 7

Post by Trask »

A lot of little driver issues that I had in Vista seemed to have gone away in Windows 7, also my biggest beef with Vista went away: Accessing network folders on my own network took a good 1-2 minutes to open, now they open up within seconds as they did in XP.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Scoody
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Scoody »

I just love how sometimes I can't delete a folder with subfolders that contains files, which bothered me in both Vista and 7.
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

avansc wrote:what you mean to say is.. im cheap and a thief.
Yeah, pretty much. Also, isn't there a rule against bad grammar on here?
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Pickzell wrote:
avansc is exempt because his posts are easy enough to read and aren't full of crap. Also, we like him. Yes, the buddy system works here. Stop meta-moderating.

I, too, am interested in how Windows 7 treats its system resources.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

Does anyone know if games for Windows XP are going to work on Windows 7 because I always had a problem with them on Vista.
I'll make your software hardware.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

MarauderIIC wrote:
Pickzell wrote:
avansc is exempt because his posts are easy enough to read and aren't full of crap. Also, we like him. Yes, the buddy system works here. Stop meta-moderating.

I, too, am interested in how Windows 7 treats its system resources.

awe..... im blushing...

anyways. im fairly impressed with win7.

i'll list a few pics. this is with winamp open, listening to an internet talk radio stream, firefox(using about 100MB ram) with 5 tabs. xchat.
so its not doing a whole lot. but just general use. no lag. and as you can see the mem foor print really is not that big.
hope this helps.

edit: as for xp games working.. mmm... hit or miss. but i sticked with win 98 for to long because of that same thought pattern.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

My Windows 7 beta is expiring in 12 days...I wish I can use it forever.
Skullman
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Random
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Mega Drive, SNES, Dreamcast, Gameboy, GBA
Programming Language of Choice: Any and all

Post by Skullman »

I've already formatted my Windows 7 disk once because of slow speed and I had my first BSOD last night. =)

Other than that it is not too bad. I could do with another GB of memory.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

thejahooli wrote:Does anyone know if games for Windows XP are going to work on Windows 7 because I always had a problem with them on Vista.

The only issues I had in Vista/7 with any games that I played on XP seemed to be related to my audio or video drives. But for Vista, the audio driver issue went away in Windows 7 and the video driver issue I had in Windows 7 was fixed when nVidia made officially Windows 7 64bit drivers. Other than that, I had an issue with Peggle, but running that in the XP compatibility mode allowed it to work fine.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Trask wrote:... and the video driver issue I had in Windows 7 was fixed when nVidia made officially Windows 7 64bit drivers.
Hell yeah. This is one of the reason's I finally decided to reinstall and make use of my 64-bit copy of Win7. Server 2008 was kinda boring to look at..
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
smithdwsn
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by smithdwsn »

Windows 7 is very good operating system rather than other windows operating system. It has great features and functionalities.All the functions of Windows 7 are very much stunning and useful, but these all functions can be used very easily. It provides windows touch, 64-bit support, remote media streaming and jump list etc.
xiphirx
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: ******** (Unkown for the time being)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by xiphirx »

I've been using Windows 7 for quite some time (ever since it was publicly released D:) It is very solid. It feels like XP with new GUI for me. I haven't had any problems, and performance wise, I think its doesn't hog as much as vista. It does idle at around 1.3 GB of RAM though.
StarCraft II Zerg Strategy, open to all levels of players!

Looking for paid work :< Contact me if you are interested in creating a website, need a web design, or anything else you think I'm capable of :)
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

The huge "ram hog" is just normal caching/prefetching/etc. If windows runs short it will dump this memory. It's just there as a speed boost.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Live-Dimension wrote:The huge "ram hog" is just normal caching/prefetching/etc. If windows runs short it will dump this memory. It's just there as a speed boost.
Exactly. I don't understand why everyone HAS to have 8GB of RAM, but as soon as their computer starts using more than 1/4 of it they're freaking out.. What good is it if you're not using it?!

(Note: This does not apply to memory leaks. That's a personal problem. ;) )
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

It's because they believe that generally you only have whats left to use for programs and such. In WinXP days, 256mb of memory for a pc was common, now vista/Win7 takes up gigabytes of memory just to boot up! In these people's minds, WinVista/Win7 must be such hogs!

People also always complain that the next literation of windows is slower. In other words, MSDOS is the biggest CPU hog and requires exabytes of memory just to boot up, where as Win7 can run on a 20mhz processor with full effects and 64kb ram, without a hard drive, but using floppy disks for storage.