Windows 7

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Windows 7

Post by Falco Girgis »

I am running a 3.4Ghz P4 with 2GB of RAM, and Windows 7 runs like a dream. I usually have literally 20 windows open (winamp, firefox with 20 tabs, Visual Studio, etc).
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

I absolutely LOVE win7. It's by far my favorite OS.

Runs like heaven on my PC. And I love how responsive it feels, even during CPU intensive tasks.

Complaining about the increased required specs is a waste of breath. Google "moore's law." Microsoft is keeping up with technology by utilizing the modern cheap hardware--hating on them for the fact that you're too stingy to upgrade and keep up yourself is just stupid. If this is the case, stick to Win XP--it was a decent OS for its time.

However, I hate the fact that you have to crack your windows to install unsigned certificates. Feels like something mac would do. =/

(Msft charges a percentage of revenue for certificate licensing, which prevents you from ever being able to use a homebrew/open source drivers...May not come up often, but if you want to cut the cord on your old Xbox controller, solder a USB cable, and use it on your PC...You have to crack windows 7. =/)
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Arce wrote:May not come up often, but if you want to cut the cord on your old Xbox controller, solder a USB cable, and use it on your PC...You have to crack windows 7. =/)
Why would you ever need to do that? 360 controllers already have USB connectors and obviously have Microsoft supported drivers.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Arce

Post by Arce »

Because 360 controllers didn't always used to exist, and obviously my Xbox controller's aren't going to unsolder themselves.

Why would I waste 25$ to get a new 360 controller if I don't own a 360 and have 4 old XBox ones with USB cables already sticking out of their asses?

It's the principal of being unable to utilize community-made drivers, or previously supposed hardware.
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

AFAIK, you can still install unsigned drivers in 32-bit, and with a special method, still get them installed on 64-bit. It's just not so easy.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Actual, the mods are pretty easy, haha.

Just the principle, dammit! XD
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

I know, I know. Still, poor drivers are most certainly the leading cause of windows troubles. OSX is lucky that it can avoid them for the most part. The signed drivers make sense.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Arce wrote:Actual, the mods are pretty easy, haha.

Just the principle, dammit! XD
Totally agree with the arguments of principle.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted: