Mac OSX Snow Leopard released!

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Mac OSX Snow Leopard released!

Post by JaxDragon »

Side note: Yes, I know this is a little late

On August 29, Mac released the newest version of OSX, Snow Leopard. Updating from Leopard is only 30 dollars. The install time is very fast, taking only 15 minutes. It's also noticeably faster then Leopard, all around. Other than that, not much has changed. The stock software has of course been updated, but nothing major there. But hey, only 30 dollars for an upgrade.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Mac OSX Snow Leopard released!

Post by hurstshifter »

JaxDragon wrote: not much has changed.

True. You are, in fact, still getting raped by Apple
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

Whats wrong with apple? Just curious, not trying to start a flame war.

As a side note, my digital media class now has 24 iMacs. 7 of which are 24" screens. She said the value is $2500 each with final cut pro and other software installed.
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

Reminds me of how iPhone OS 3.0 for the iPod costs 10 dollars, it was only a few upgrades, nothing much. Kinda annoying but I think it was still worth it for the Copy/Paste and updated youtube app.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

first of all just to clear somethings up. its called an upgrade from leopard. but anyone could by it for 29 bux.
secondly its not really a 15 min install, its a 15 min upgrade. i did the fresh install and that takes longer. 30 min or so. also that is
the only way to get the install footprint smaller.
thirdly, you have to press 6 + 4 when booting up to really get the best out of it. its boots up in 64 bit mode incase you were wondering.
fourtly, there has been much changed. it really is worth every penny.
and lastly, dont mind douche deluxe over there, does not know what he is speaking of.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

avansc wrote:first of all just to clear somethings up. its called an upgrade from leopard. but anyone could by it for 29 bux.
secondly its not really a 15 min install, its a 15 min upgrade. i did the fresh install and that takes longer. 30 min or so. also that is
thirdly, you have to press 6 + 4 when booting up to really get the best out of it. its boots up in 64 bit mode incase you were wondering.
and lastly, dont mind douche deluxe over there, does not know what he is speaking of.

First of all, no need to call anyone a douche. I was only playing around with Jax.
Secondly, I wasn't commenting at all about the performance of OSX Snow Leopard. I am fully aware of the improvements they have made including the 64-bit kernel and the vast improvements to multi-threading technology that will put those fancy dual-cores to work. That's all well and good.

What I was commenting on is simply the never ending fact that Apple continues to rape the consumer of their hard-earned dollars for overpriced hardware & software. I think it's great that they are only charging $29 for the SL upgrade, but that doesn't come close to saving them. The fact remains that a similarly priced Windows/Linux based PC/Laptop will drastically outperform a Macbook Pro. True, they may not be quite as shiny, but that is something that I'm willing to sacrifice however hard it may be.

Oh, and I don't need to hold 6 + 4 when booting up to run in 64-bit mode, it's pretty cool :)
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

hurstshifter wrote:
avansc wrote:first of all just to clear somethings up. its called an upgrade from leopard. but anyone could by it for 29 bux.

First of all, no need to call anyone a douche. I was only playing around with Jax.
Secondly, I wasn't commenting at all about the performance of OSX Snow Leopard. I am fully aware of the improvements they have made including the 64-bit kernel and the vast improvements to multi-threading technology that will put those fancy dual-cores to work. That's all well and good.

What I was commenting on is simply the never ending fact that Apple continues to rape the consumer of their hard-earned dollars for overpriced hardware & software. I think it's great that they are only charging $29 for the SL upgrade, but that doesn't come close to saving them. The fact remains that a similarly priced Windows/Linux based PC/Laptop will drastically outperform a Macbook Pro. True, they may not be quite as shiny, but that is something that I'm willing to sacrifice however hard it may be.

Oh, and I don't need to hold 6 + 4 when booting up to run in 64-bit mode, it's pretty cool :)
being called a douche bag strikes at a nerve i see...

i dont wanna get in a debate here. but would like to point something out.
you talk about how everything is so over priced, and on face value to someone that is very near sighted, yes that may be the case..
but lets not be dumb asses and look into it a little deeper.

1. how long does the average mac user keep their hardware, as apposed to any other user...
2. what price do you put on the free support you get from apple. as appose to being stuck with your thumb in your ass with other companies.
3. rape is involuntary, people choose to by apple products, there has to be a reason. and the cool factor just doesent cut it. its a good product. and worth every penny.

anyways. i also feel that its expensive. but i dont think its unreasonable.

ps: are you sure you boot up in 64 bit.. i was under that assumption as well. but if you go to the mac inspector and under software i think. you will see what the kernel is running as.
im sure you can change some file or something that will make it default to 64 bit. anyways.

pps: dont be so touchy.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

avansc wrote:
being called a douche bag strikes at a nerve i see...

i dont wanna get in a debate here. but would like to point something out.
you talk about how everything is so over priced, and on face value to someone that is very near sighted, yes that may be the case..
but lets not be dumb asses and look into it a little deeper.

1. how long does the average mac user keep their hardware, as apposed to any other user...
2. what phrice do you put on te free support you get from apple. as appose to being stuck with your thumb in your ass with other companies.
3. rape is involuntary, people choose to by apple products, there has to be a reason. and the cool factor just doesent cut it. its a good product. and worth every penny.

anyways. i also feel that its expensive. but i dont think its unreasonable.

ps: are you sure you boot up in 64 bit.. i was under that assumption as well. but if you go to the mac inspector and under software i think. you will see what the kernel is running as.
im sure you can change some file or something that will make it default to 64 bit. anyways.

pps: dont be so touchy.

Well, yes, it does. I would have accepted dickweed, moron, shitbrain, or asshole. But douche was just too much!

I would like to not be a dumb ass and look deeper...

1. From my own experience, my Apple products have not outlasted other brands in any way. In fact, I had a powerbook G4 back in 2004 that was rendered slow and dated after about a year of use. This is what lead me to hate Apple products in the first place (I paid $2299 for that tin can). And I don't even want to talk about the iPods I've been through in the past.
2. Hmm, I could have sworn that Applecare was a paid service, but I guess I was wrong. I'll certainly admit that free support (as long as it is good quality and not completely outsourced to India) is a great perk. But that still doesn't justify the cost.
3. Do we really need to argue on semantics here? Rape, highway robbery, swindled; call it what you want. Apple products are overpriced, period.

Also, I am not running a Mac. Hence my rage. I was saying that I don't need to hold 6 + 4 on my PC to boot into 64-bit. I was poking fun at Snow Leopard, although I know from one of my colleagues who came running in like a giddy school girl today with his new MacBook Pro that you can modify a boot file to make it permanent.
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

All the "AppleCare"s I have ever purchased have cost money. Quite a bit. Just clearing that up. But the Genius bar at the actual Apple store is free.
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

mkay...

i think this is a case of PICNIC. problem in chair not in computer... because i have had a few apple products. and non have ever broken.

ps: applecare is the warranty on the hardware, their support does not end.

anyways does not matter. you dont like the, some do. lets leave it at that.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

avansc wrote:mkay...

i think this is a case of PICNIC. problem in chair not in computer... because i have had a few apple products. and non have ever broken.

ps: applecare is the warranty on the hardware, their support does not end.

anyways does not matter. you dont like the, some do. lets leave it at that.
I'll just leave it at you being a Mac fanboy.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

My thoughts exactly. Good day sir
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

hurstshifter wrote:My thoughts exactly. Good day sir
wow.. what great repartee.
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

JaxDragon wrote:not trying to start a flame war.
Mission failed.