Bored With PCs, Bill Gates Wants To Control the Weather

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

Spikey
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Bored With PCs, Bill Gates Wants To Control the Weather

Post by Spikey »

Microsoft’s chairman is part of a joint patent filing for using fleets of vessels to stop hurricanes via geoengineering

Jeremy Hsu
Popular Science
Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bill Gates’ Plan to Stop Hurricanes: A diagram from one of the newly disclosed Gates and Myhrvold patent filings, depicting a deployment of hurricane-supression vessels in the Gulf of Mexico. via TechFlash

Truly this is the age of Greenfinger: Billionaire Bill Gates has patented the idea to halt hurricanes by decreasing the surface temperature of the ocean.
The patent calls for a large fleet of specially equipped ships which would mix warm water from the ocean surface with colder water down below, according to five new patents that include Microsoft’s chairman as a co-inventor. That could then reduce or perhaps eliminate the heat-driven condensation which hurricanes feed upon, thus significantly reducing their intensity.

Patent-watcher “theodp” first spotted the new patent filings, and told TechFlash that the scheme reminded him of something Mr. Burns might have concocted in “The Simpsons” — if the fictional industrialist hadn’t already blown his master plan on blocking out the sun.

The hurricane-stopper plan apparently hatched from a meeting of Intellectual Ventures, a patent house which regularly gathers scientists and technologists to brainstorm together. TechFlash notes that the official filings came through an Intellectual Ventures affiliate, Searete LLC.

Full Article: http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2 ... plan?page=
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Re: Bored With PCs, Bill Gates Wants To Control the Weather

Post by davidthefat »

Spikey wrote:Microsoft’s chairman is part of a joint patent filing for using fleets of vessels to stop hurricanes via geoengineering

Jeremy Hsu
Popular Science
Saturday, July 11, 2009

Bill Gates’ Plan to Stop Hurricanes: A diagram from one of the newly disclosed Gates and Myhrvold patent filings, depicting a deployment of hurricane-supression vessels in the Gulf of Mexico. via TechFlash

Truly this is the age of Greenfinger: Billionaire Bill Gates has patented the idea to halt hurricanes by decreasing the surface temperature of the ocean.
The patent calls for a large fleet of specially equipped ships which would mix warm water from the ocean surface with colder water down below, according to five new patents that include Microsoft’s chairman as a co-inventor. That could then reduce or perhaps eliminate the heat-driven condensation which hurricanes feed upon, thus significantly reducing their intensity.

Patent-watcher “theodp” first spotted the new patent filings, and told TechFlash that the scheme reminded him of something Mr. Burns might have concocted in “The Simpsons” — if the fictional industrialist hadn’t already blown his master plan on blocking out the sun.

The hurricane-stopper plan apparently hatched from a meeting of Intellectual Ventures, a patent house which regularly gathers scientists and technologists to brainstorm together. TechFlash notes that the official filings came through an Intellectual Ventures affiliate, Searete LLC.

Full Article: http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2 ... plan?page=

I mean people were already trying to stop hurricanes with airplane wernt they? Like they go super sonic speed in the opposite direction of the hurricane or something
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

did you really just say that?
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

avansc wrote:did you really just say that?
Yea... It was in the sciene magazine...

nvm... I read it wrong... they use the planes to learn more about the structure of the hurricanes...
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

davidthefat wrote:
avansc wrote:
davidthefat wrote: I mean people were already trying to stop hurricanes with airplane wernt they? Like they go super sonic speed in the opposite direction of the hurricane or something
did you really just say that?

nvm... I read it wrong... they use the planes to learn more about the structure of the hurricanes...
Haha. :lol:
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

davidthefat wrote:

I lol'ed so hard :lol:
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

Interactive weather anyone?

Now we're gonna see how a real Ion storm looks like
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

davidthefat wrote:

No, I think you were getting it confused with Superman flying around the world at super sonic speed to reverse time.. which actually happened. You probably don't remember it, because it hasn't happened yet.

...I think I just wrote the next season of Lost...