The new Axis of evi... I mean Google making a new OS?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: The new Axis of evi... I mean Google making a new OS?

Post by OmegaGDS »

I think that it will end up like linux and other OS's that aren't very big. Googles OS will develop a name, be there, and have a small fanbase of people who support it.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

OmegaGDS wrote:I think that it will end up like linux and other OS's that aren't very big.
:lol: Clearly not an IT guy are ya?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

dandymcgee wrote:
OmegaGDS wrote:I think that it will end up like linux and other OS's that aren't very big.
lol... I'm working on putting damn small linux on a flash drive right now :D
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8509110.stm

Google is taking over the world... Literally
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

davidthefat wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8509110.stm

Google is taking over the world... Literally
Omg.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

dandymcgee wrote:
No no no no no, you misunderstood me. I meant that it will not be commercially popular like Microsoft and Mac. Microsoft and Mac control the commercial desktop computer market. Most desktop computers sold in retail run either Mac OS X or Microsoft with only about 3% (if that) running a linux OS. I did not mean that linux was bad. Actually, seeing that you can modify the underlying source code in a Linux OS seems like a plus to me. Hell, a linux OS may be and probably is larger and better than windows or mac. I did not mean that linux didn't do much, or took up little space. Next time you bash my intellegence try to look at it from a different POV, be nice, or don't say anything. I realize that I could have worded my post about linux not being big differently, but this is what I meant by it.

My sincerest regards,
the ass writing this message

NOTE: I was speaking about the commercial market, not about people putting linux on a PC aftermarket.

And why are you defending the google OS anyway. Saying that it will beat out MS is like saying that ice weasel is going to beat IE.
Last edited by OmegaGDS on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZachO
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: DC, Atari 2600, GC
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by ZachO »

I agree that it won't be commercially popular.
Bl@ck Ph@ntom
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Topdown shooter
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by Bl@ck Ph@ntom »

I think this just another step for google to take over the world (note: if google's name changes to sky net then you better build some bunkers and arm your self bec. it will be F'n Armageddon.)
I am the great lurker! Fear my powers.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

OmegaGDS wrote: No no no no no, you misunderstood me. I meant that it will not be commercially popular like Microsoft and Mac. Microsoft and Mac control the commercial desktop computer market. Most desktop computers sold in retail run either Mac OS X or Microsoft with only about 3% (if that) running a linux OS.
If by "commercially popular" you mean the average public consumer, then 3% is a very high estimate. I've never seen a computer for sale retail with any Linux or Unix OS installed. My argument was a counter to "linux and other OS's that aren't very big". Linux and Unix based OSs are number one as far as any kind of high load/high security server is concerned. If GoogleOS is targeting the systems currently running such OSs (for instance, Google's own various servers), then they could quite easily beat Microsoft in that market. Personal computers are an entirely different story.
OmegaGDS wrote: And why are you defending the google OS anyway. Saying that it will beat out MS is like saying that ice weasel is going to beat IE.
I was making a point about *nix systems, not specifically Google OS.
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

dandymcgee wrote:
OmegaGDS wrote: No no no no no, you misunderstood me. I meant that it will not be commercially popular like Microsoft and Mac. Microsoft and Mac control the commercial desktop computer market. Most desktop computers sold in retail run either Mac OS X or Microsoft with only about 3% (if that) running a linux OS.
If by "commercially popular" you mean the average public consumer, then 3% is a very high estimate. I've never seen a computer for sale retail with any Linux or Unix OS installed. My argument was a counter to "linux and other OS's that aren't very big". Linux and Unix based OSs are number one as far as any kind of high load/high security server is concerned. If GoogleOS is targeting the systems currently running such OSs (for instance, Google's own various servers), then they could quite easily beat Microsoft in that market. Personal computers are an entirely different story.
OmegaGDS wrote: And why are you defending the google OS anyway. Saying that it will beat out MS is like saying that ice weasel is going to beat IE.
I was making a point about *nix systems, not specifically Google OS.
Soz, too lazy to cut out most of what I quoted.

It appears that we are arguing about two different things. I was talking about personal computers, and yes they do sell computers commercially with a linux OS. I recently saw one that was only 100 dollars and was running linux (it was basically a word processor, not a computer). And when it comes too some netbooks, you can have a choice as to which OS you want on it, Linux is one of those choices.

By saying that linux wasn't big, I meant that linux is not commercially popular.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

OmegaGDS wrote: Soz, too lazy to cut out most of what I quoted.

It appears that we are arguing about two different things. I was talking about personal computers, and yes they do sell computers commercially with a linux OS. I recently saw one that was only 100 dollars and was running linux (it was basically a word processor, not a computer). And when it comes too some netbooks, you can have a choice as to which OS you want on it, Linux is one of those choices.

By saying that linux wasn't big, I meant that linux is not commercially popular.
Yup, that's what I assumed. Wasn't trying to turn my joke into a debate. ;)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Anyone else here think that maybe, just maybe google have hitlers brain in a jar somewhere and hes giving them orders???????
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
ismetteren
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by ismetteren »

dandymcgee wrote:If GoogleOS is targeting the systems currently running such OSs (for instance, Google's own various servers), then they could quite easily beat Microsoft in that market. Personal computers are an entirely different story.
I think it's pretty clear by now that they are targeting netbooks...
Image ImageImage Image
Brockx7
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Brockx7 »

What's with everyone's disliking of Google?

I think what they've accomplished as a company is amazing. Although we won't know till the OS actually comes out, I think that it has a chance of becoming commercially successful. I don't believe it's going to be an overnight kind of thing, but look at Mac. I think they're becoming the more preferred PC to the average computer user, and I don't believe it was always like that. :)
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

dandymcgee wrote:Linux and Unix based OSs are number one as far as any kind of high load/high security server is concerned.
IBM's head quarters are in Raleigh, NC. (RTP) Ive seen thousands and thousands and thousands of computers there all running windows enterprise server 2003, and there are a few legacy servers running AIX. Never say one server running linux.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"