The new Axis of evi... I mean Google making a new OS?

Pertaining to any discovery, principle, or aspect of science and/or technology. Open debates and discussions are welcome. Also now dealing with any happening in the news.

Moderator: Geeks United

programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

The new Axis of evi... I mean Google making a new OS?

Post by programmerinprogress »

Yeah, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you this time, Google is entering the OS market, for real this time!

Here is their offical blog: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... me-os.html

They say they need a new OS, because current OS arcitectures were designed before the internet era, now whether you believe that or not, that's what they say.

The article says they're targeting netbooks to begin with, but hope to get the OS onto desktops aswell, it's open-source which I guess is good for any developers who want to program for a new OS.

One thing that does seem appealing is the talk of it being light-weight and that it will 'start-up quickly', these things are always nice, especially when you look at vista, which, for me, takes a lifetime to load and takes up about 6gig on my hard drive without actually installing anything!

according to the article it's going to be compatible with x86 chips and ARM chips (so all of you RISC enthusiasts can give it a try too I guess)

I will state my complete opinions after some discussion, please let me know what you think about this move by Google?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: The new Axis of evi... I mean Google making a new OS?

Post by Netwatcher »

I knew it for sometime now (a bit before google's browser was up and running)

This is really interesting to see google expanding like that; Youtube, Open Source, Browsers, and now an OS.
It seems like the company is afraid of something, maybe of dissapearing from the "mainstream" in a few years.
not that it's bad it's just... annoying! today it also seems like they are returning a favor for Microsoft's "Bing" search engine.
Maybe it's just me but something here doesn't smell right.
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

This is funny, because just two days ago I was talking with my Dad about how the only thing that is keeping Google from becoming the next Microsoft in the next few years is their lack of an OS. If it 'catches on' like many of their products have I bet in ten years Microsoft will be nothing more than an Xbox.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

The new Axis of evil

Post by Netwatcher »

Microsoft isn't good with internet, or any software related to using it.
But it's strong in the software side, there is a reason most people use a PC(or have a mac that runs Win).
The new "Live" thing may catch on better then the new Google OS, same overall concept.
Using hardware from another computer on the web would be neat, like a gamers site that has many host computers using the best hardware in the market, you only need to pay a monthly fee and can always play the latest games ;)
MS's "windows live" and the google OS should both use the internet in "innovative ways" and shit to enhance user expirience.
Since google isn't getting money from their new OS how would they get that money? it makes you wonder how youtube will change until then...
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."

programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Google gets it's money by enticing people into using their services, where it can then advertise, although they haven't quite worked out the kinks yet... (youtube is an example of that)

Also, I'm not so supportive of getting all of your resources from other computers and networks, I don't know about you, but I like having an independant machine which can use the internet, but isn't obliged to be on it, just so I can run my applications (what happens if your connection goes down, you're left around doing the sweet FA on your computer because all of your applications are web-based!)

But saying that, some new blood in the OS game might be good, might encourage Mircrosoft to stop arsing about with 10gb operating systems and spec-stretching desktop effects, and get back to making the darn thing work faster, also increased competition from Google, offering their product for free, could encourage microsoft to lower their prices a little, if the OS becomes mainstream.

Currently, all competitors (with the exception of linux derivatives, but they aren't exactly rock-bottom entry level as far as I know) are maintaining prestiege pricing on their products, for example, a mac is an expensive piece of kit, which you are obliged to purchase if you want OSX without any fuss, and Windows again is quite expensive, people may be looking for a cheaper alternative from a well known mainstream brand *enter google*
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Netwatcher »

programmerinprogress wrote:Google gets it's money by enticing people into using their services, where it can then advertise, although they haven't quite worked out the kinks yet... (youtube is an example of that)

Also, I'm not so supportive of getting all of your resources from other computers and networks, I don't know about you, but I like having an independant machine which can use the internet, but isn't obliged to be on it, just so I can run my applications (what happens if your connection goes down, you're left around doing the sweet FA on your computer because all of your applications are web-based!)

But saying that, some new blood in the OS game might be good, might encourage Mircrosoft to stop arsing about with 10gb operating systems and spec-stretching desktop effects, and get back to making the darn thing work faster, also increased competition from Google, offering their product for free, could encourage microsoft to lower their prices a little, if the OS becomes mainstream.

Currently, all competitors (with the exception of linux derivatives, but they aren't exactly rock-bottom entry level as far as I know) are maintaining prestiege pricing on their products, for example, a mac is an expensive piece of kit, which you are obliged to purchase if you want OSX without any fuss, and Windows again is quite expensive, people may be looking for a cheaper alternative from a well known mainstream brand *enter google*

What you said is true, although I didn't say 100% Internet-based,games will be made for these disconnections and just pause themselves(and save).

davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Ah Crap... Now google is gonna go into the Game industry after that right??

edit: its just plain old linux but a new distro AMIRITE??
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Netwatcher »

davidthefat wrote:
edit: its just plain old linux but a new distro AMIRITE??
Basically, yea...
Last edited by Netwatcher on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Google is one step closer to ruling the world... :lol:

As for MS making memory intensive, slow cheap ass OS's, let's not forget to throw windows 7 into the mix, it's supposed to be pretty good...

And I thought Google was the one who made the Android OS??? for mobile phones or whatever???
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL

Post by LeonBlade »

First... they were a simple search engine site...
Then they started offering web app services such as Gmail and Google Docs and Google Calendar...
Then they started doing other things (I actually have no idea what Google's timeline consists of so I'm just winging it)
Then they started making a web browser to browse their own web site...
Then they made a cell phone for fancy people...
Then they made Google Voice for more fancy phone thingys...
Soon they'll make an operating system...
Then they'll move to hardware...
Then they'll make their own government and take over the world and we have to use all Google products or we get killed with Google Guns as they will call them...
There's no place like ~/
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2

Post by Bludklok »

I heard about this from watching G4 but didn't really think about it too much to bother to look into it further... But now this has me interested.

I am fairly pleased with Googles software and such (hell I even use Chrome as my default browser) but with an OS based around the web this makes me a bit curious (and worried) about the key features that other users will find necessary in an OS. Such as the ability to run games smoothly and easily. Plus if it's another one of those OS's that are a bit shaky on software compatability (such as Linux or mac not being able to run some (if not many) of the applications that Windows is able to run) then it's really going to affect their whole OS 'journy'.

From a programmers perspective if your really into java, CSS, php, etc. then this is probably something to be excited about (probably).

Thats just my two cents. ;)
LeonBlade wrote:.
Then they'll make their own government and take over the world and we have to use all Google products or we get killed with Google Guns as they will call them...
Orly?
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

Bludklok wrote:
Orly?
There's no place like ~/
gordon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by gordon »

I'm not sure whether this is good or bad. On the one hand increased competition in the OS market is great, from what I gather Google's OS will be based upon the Linux kernel much like Android is, I just hope they keep it fairly open and pass the code back to the free/open source community. In theory this should increase hardware support and possible software support for Linux systems due to Google's huge influence. However it could another way and this will just be them moving people further into "cloud computing" and web based operating systems where desktops become mere gateways into their servers. Time will tell whether I'm just paranoid about the possibility of Google getting a hold of more data or if this move will end up being positive for the points mentioned above.
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2

Post by Bludklok »

LeonBlade wrote:
Bludklok wrote:
Orly?
Lol this made my day. :lol:
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by LeonBlade »

I'm glad it did... because it will be one of the few last days you will have before Google takes over the world...
There's no place like ~/